Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #526
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Let me restate what you just said, to see if I understand it. Please let me know if I am mistaken:

The second plug on the GPS Prep mount puts out audio of the voice prompts given when following a route, but not music playing. This is true with a Nav V in the mount.
You're good.
Keep in mind that this is information that I had discovered by reading numerous posts in different forums, I have no personal first hand knowledge using the audio out leads so it may be complete BS.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #527
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
You're good.
Keep in mind that this is information that I had discovered by reading numerous posts in different forums, I have no personal first hand knowledge using the audio out leads so it may be complete BS.
I have to go look at the GPS Prep harness out in my garage and see what that end looks like. Assuming 2 leads in that second plug, how hard could it be to hook up an earphone or something to test the theory using clip leads?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #528
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
I have to go look at the GPS Prep harness out in my garage and see what that end looks like. Assuming 2 leads in that second plug, how hard could it be to hook up an earphone or something to test the theory using clip leads?

For me, a two day job that would probably end in frustration, something broken and silence....except for my swearing, for the average Joe, not too hard, probably take a few minutes.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #529
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
For me, a two day job that would probably end in frustration, something broken and silence....except for my swearing, for the average Joe, not too hard, probably take a few minutes.
I hear you.

We may be onto something here. I just had a conversation with a parts person at a dealer who shall remain unnamed. I described the GPS Prep mount and the two plugs that are on its harness. The parts person was familiar with this. I then went on to describe that there was a large one that gets plugged into the GSW and a smaller one that does not. Again, the parts person knew this. I then went on to say that I was looking for the mate to the smaller one. The parts person said "hold on, that plug is used for a very specific purpose" to which I responded "what purpose is that?". The answer was "that is used for audio to bikes that have a sound system like a GTL". HA! So, if this person can be believed, our theory has been confirmed.

Am awaiting a call back on that plug, because it will take some digging. I could simply tap into the wires and run the taps into a jack for a patch cord or earphone, but if I can get the actual plug, I can make a much tidier job of it.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #530
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
I had my Nav IV on a RT with factory radio before I used it on the GSW. That second plug was monaural only and provided the factory radio with GPS voice directions. The media player was only accessible with the stereo output jack if you had a standard Garmin 660 cradle or A2DP Bluetooth. Now with the Nav V we are missing the output stereo jack so there is no chance to use stereo audio out. You could use the output jack from a Garmin 660 cradle but you would loose the control wheel.

I believe if you tap that second plug you will get GPS directions only and the media player will not be available. This would be consistent with the previous Nav IV and the design of the BMW models offering the factory radio option. Remember BMW wants the Nav V to work on the previous models too. To do otherwise would cut potential sales of their Nav V and wouldn't make good business sense.

So the final solution is either ditch the control wheel and GPS integration with the bike for a standard Garmin Cradle without locking to get a stereo line out or use the Bluetooth connection and Navigator cradle to retain all the features of the Nav V. This was an easy decision for me. I seems BMW is committed to Bluetooth for media entertainment, I am fine with this.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #531
Flying Tivo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Mount

I don't have the NavV yet. But if you are correct that there is a jack for audio out on the stander garmin cradle, that means that the GSW prep mount on the inside would have audio out pins but not wired. Im willing to open up the GSW mount and take pictures but i can not make any test since i do not have the Nav V yet. Does anyone have the schematics of the pin layout for the garmin cradle???? This can give us a hint.

Thanks

Felipe
Old 10-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #532
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn View Post
I had my Nav IV on a RT with factory radio before I used it on the GSW. That second plug was monaural only and provided the factory radio with GPS voice directions. The media player was only accessible with the stereo output jack if you had a standard Garmin 660 cradle or A2DP Bluetooth. Now with the Nav V we are missing the output stereo jack so there is no chance to use stereo audio out. You could use the output jack from a Garmin 660 cradle but you would loose the control wheel.

I believe if you tap that second plug you will get GPS directions only and the media player will not be available. This would be consistent with the previous Nav IV and the design of the BMW models offering the factory radio option. Remember BMW wants the Nav V to work on the previous models too. To do otherwise would cut potential sales of their Nav V and wouldn't make good business sense.

So the final solution is either ditch the control wheel and GPS integration with the bike for a standard Garmin Cradle without locking to get a stereo line out or use the Bluetooth connection and Navigator cradle to retain all the features of the Nav V. This was an easy decision for me. I seems BMW is committed to Bluetooth for media entertainment, I am fine with this.
This would be perfect for me? I have zero interest in using my GPS as a media player. I already run a 160 GB iPod with almost all of my music on it, so that would be a tough act to follow. I also do not have the means for bluetooth on my bike, and would be quite happy continuing on with my wired setup.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #533
Maddog R-259
Maddog R-259

Oddometer: 135
Weather Service?

Can any of the BMW units get the Weather Maps from Sirus? Thats why I never considered the BMW units and got the Garmin 478. For $9.99 a month it is very useful.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #534
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog R-259 View Post
Can any of the BMW units get the Weather Maps from Sirus? Thats why I never considered the BMW units and got the Garmin 478. For $9.99 a month it is very useful.

No. None of the BMW units have satellite radio capability.
The Nav-V can get the weather via Smartphone Link and a one time $5 subscription to Advanced Weather.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #535
kencc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Can anyone tell me how large an SD card can be used. I think the iV was limited to 16GB.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #536
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencc View Post
Can anyone tell me how large an SD card can be used. I think the iV was limited to 16GB.
I'm using a 32gb without problem.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #537
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencc View Post
According to GARMIN, 64 Gb
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #538
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I just got my "V" and tried to listen to MP3 through bluetooth.

I've figured out how to change songs (next and back) but have not figured out how to adjust vloume with the "wheel"...

Is there a way ?

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #539
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
This would be perfect for me? I have zero interest in using my GPS as a media player. I already run a 160 GB iPod with almost all of my music on it, so that would be a tough act to follow. I also do not have the means for bluetooth on my bike, and would be quite happy continuing on with my wired setup.
It should work perfectly in your case, good news
Old 10-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #540
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
I just got my "V" and tried to listen to MP3 through bluetooth.

I've figured out how to change songs (next and back) but have not figured out how to adjust vloume with the "wheel"...

Is there a way ?

Andre
The volume control won't work unless you have the BMW Bluetooth headset. I just use my Sena SMH 10 and it is easily controlled while riding using the big jog dial on the unit.