Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #601
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,039
My Nav-IV was a never ending source of frustration, it dropped Bluetooth connection constantly and basically was an $800 worthless POS!

My new Nav-V on the other hand works virtually flawlessly, I've experienced a couple of very minor little glitches but have been able to sort them out in quick order, I would say that the new model is excellent, not 100% flawless, but damn near.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #602
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I think he realizes that voice guidance is the only audio he's going to get from the wired connection and that's all he's after.
He's a little odd if you ask me.

More than a little.

But hey, the only audio I want from a GPS is the turn-by-turn directions! I don't want it to play me a lullaby or tell me how swell I am or anything else. If it isn't directions, then STFU!

When a GPS holds more than my 160GB iPod then get back to me.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #603
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post

More than a little.

But hey, the only audio I want from a GPS is the turn-by-turn directions! I don't want it to play me a lullaby or tell me how swell I am or anything else. If it isn't directions, then STFU!

When a GPS holds more than my 160GB iPod then get back to me.

Oh, so you want your iPod to play you the lullabies?

I'm not knocking your deal but I only have about 10GB of audio content that I listen to, I'm very picky about what I listen to: they have to tell me how great I am at least three times per minute and in 4 different languages.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #604
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Oh, so you want your iPod to play you the lullabies?

I'm not knocking your deal but I only have about 10GB of audio content that I listen to, I'm very picky about what I listen to: they have to tell me how great I am at least three times per minute and in 4 different languages.
Based on our communications here, I can see why you'd need that level of reassurance.

Yes, I get my music from the iPod. It is not full yet, but getting there. I am also extremely picky and never know what I will be in the mood for, so having my entire collection along is handy. IMO, Garmin has a hard enough time delivering GPSs that excel in their core function of navigation, so anything beyond that is pretty much a non-starter for me anyway.

Hopefully, this weekend I'll be able to get the Nav V into my on-bike audio system. It will be a lot of fun to see how that works.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #605
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Seems the main players here aren't using the NAv V as a media player, which is my requirement as I like simplicity , and more to the point it is one of the functions that you pay the hefty price for.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #606
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Well, I am definitely using the Nav V media player. Simplicity with flawless integration of the GPS and phone is a main selling feature. I have to say the Bluetooth of the Nav V is much improved over that of the Nav IV I had previously. I figure with the 32 gig SD card I am using there is little need to go to another device for music. Also the control of the player by the bike's control wheel is less distracting and much easier. The only thing needed is a good Bluetooth headset. I have found that with the Sena SMH-10.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #607
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I don't have a ton of media on my phone. I tend to use iHeartRadio to play local news in the morning, and I enjoy the hell out of some podcast in the afternoon. Kick -n- Gravel (Disappeared), The Pace (Sometimes Weekly), and The Wheelnerds (When they remember) are great on my ride home. Longer rides, I do play music, but my phone is already connected and proven easy to use with the SMH10.

I do see you point about playing media from the media player on the GPS, maybe I'll toss some music on a SD-Card and give it a try. How do you manage playlist?
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #608
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
I also have an iPod if I want to listen to podcasts. I pair the iPod with the Sena and turn off the NavV Bluetooth so there will be no conflicts. I have to admit I usually save the podcasts when I am working in my shop and prefer music while riding.

I created my playlists in iTunes and transferred them to the SD card. It works if I transfer the music and playlists from the same source. I've had these playlists for a few years so this is the way I recall creating the lists.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #609
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
So, all this talk about playing music from the Nav 5 raises one of my earlier questions, apologies if this has been answered.

I use my iPhone 5 with my Scala G9 to great effect, I have the iPhone Music set to shuffle and use the Next Track button on my Scala G9 to select the next track.

Can I pair my iPhone 5 to the Nav 5 and pair the Scala G9 to the Nav 5 and still access and change the music on my iPhone 5 using my Scala G9? Also, can I still use Siri and access my contact for dialling in this proposed config?

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue) - AUG 14
2015 R1200 GSW White - NOV 14
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #610
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
So, all this talk about playing music from the Nav 5 raises one of my earlier questions, apologies if this has been answered.

I use my iPhone 5 with my Scala G9 to great effect, I have the iPhone Music set to shuffle and use the Next Track button on my Scala G9 to select the next track.

Can I pair my iPhone 5 to the Nav 5 and pair the Scala G9 to the Nav 5 and still access and change the music on my iPhone 5 using my Scala G9? Also, can I still use Siri and access my contact for dialling in this proposed config?
Why not run the music from the NAv, you can change tracks shuffle and do all this and don't have to be running the phone battery down.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #611
MarcParnes
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 438
Potential Solution Android > Nav > Sena SMH10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcParnes View Post
Each time I've done this I've cleared all the pairing from all three devices before attempting to repair. I'm wondering if there isn't some compatibility issue between these particular devices, namely the Nav, Razr Maxx and the Sena since your devices are generically the same but specifically different. I've noticed when reviewing Garmin's compatibility list for the 660 as an example that some Android phones are included but others are not. Obviously something is wrong. This phone as well as the headset are so popular that I can't imagine Garmin won't have to do something. At least I'd hope so. In the meantime I can go back to using the phone paired to the Sena as that does work fine. It would have been nice to have the visual cues from the Nav but I'm thinking that isn't going to happen at this point.

I can see you hate to give up as well :-)

Marc
I kept fooling with this problem and I finally figured it out. The problem is with the firmware in the Sena SMH10. Mine has 4.3 in it so just for the hell of it I backed it up to 4.2.1 and now it works fine. I updated it to 4.3 and the problems started again. Put 4.2.1 back and it works so the problem is something they changed between 4.2.1 and 4.3. The major upgrade in 4.3 is music sharing which is probably the culprit. I've alerted Sena.

Marc

Marc
A life of bikes
MarcParnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #612
JetSpeed
Naviator

Hell Marc, and here I was telling you to make sure that you had the latest firmware.

Although in my own self defense............I'll think of something.

Glad that you didn't give up and got it working, its a marvelous system when it works as it should.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #613
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I don't have 4.3 in my Senna but still get issues with the 660 . Sometimes the pairing picks up in mono phone mode and sometimes stereo. This is with no phone paired to the Garmin and only the Senna paired to the Garmin. I have cleared and reset both devices my main area of concern was the constant drop out of the pairing, which usually required switching off and on to sort.I also would get songs stopping and starting which again required a switch off and on.

I'd buy the NAv V now if I was confident that these issues are not going to be with it , but feel there needs to be a few more beta testers out there to reassure me that the issues I've experienced on the 660 are not in the V.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #614
IndyTiger800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
Well I don't have 4.3 in my Senna but still get issues with the 660 . Sometimes the pairing picks up in mono phone mode and sometimes stereo. This is with no phone paired to the Garmin and only the Senna paired to the Garmin. I have cleared and reset both devices my main area of concern was the constant drop out of the pairing, which usually required switching off and on to sort.I also would get songs stopping and starting which again required a switch off and on.

I'd buy the NAv V now if I was confident that these issues are not going to be with it , but feel there needs to be a few more beta testers out there to reassure me that the issues I've experienced on the 660 are not in the V.
I had the same problem with my 660. I them updated the Garmin software and it took care of it.
IndyTiger800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #615
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTiger800 View Post
I had the same problem with my 660. I them updated the Garmin software and it took care of it.
Wish that was the answer but I have the latest software for all devices , one area I am fairly current on.