Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #661
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhdick View Post
The Nav 5 does not have a speaker built into it, so for car/truck use the Nav 5 vehicle mount includes a speaker. The Nav 4 vehicle mount does not have a speaker, so, although it will hold and power up the Nav 5, you wont get voice prompts (or phone calls) unless you use a bluetooth headset. AFAIK IKFS ... just tested it on mine ... I have the Nav IV vehicle mount and a Nav V ... no sound (i.e. no voice prompts) and the phone won't work (although it connects) unless the Nav V is paired with a Bluetooth headset ....

...or, it pairs with Bluetooth in your car / truck ...
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #662
smithdt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock owner View Post
Had the same decision to make with the Nav4 vs Zumo660. It was a new bike purchase, so if the GPS is on the BOS atuomatic 3 year warranty. That makes up the price difference. Plus the Nav interacts with the bike's thumb wheel. Screen zoom +/-, change screens, fuel warning etc.
What does "BOS" mean?
smithdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #663
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
...or, it pairs with Bluetooth in your car / truck ...

If you get that working let me know how you did it. I didn't think Garmin GPS systems would pair with a car sound system. That would be cool if it works ...

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.
paulhdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #664
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdt View Post
What does "BOS" mean?
Bill of sale.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #665
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
I am very happy with my "V". I find it to be a great improvement over the "IV" and the 660.

I listen to music through its MP3 player and have my headphones connected through a JABRA bluetooth receiver.

The GSW wheel works great but it does not control teh output level !

To control the voluem through the "V", one has to go through 9 steps:

1 Go into the player's screen, (from the MAP screen through a shortcut or from other screens scroll the BMW “wheel” into the player’s screen)

2 Touch the speaker symbol

3 On the new page, touch the tools symbol

4 On the new page, touch the audio mixer

5 On the new page, move the midia slider to adjust the volume

6 press return to the previous screen ( Audio settings )

7 press return again to the previous screen ( where the tools symbol is )

8 press return again to the previous screen ( media player )

9 press return again to the previous screen ( applications or MAP)

I have written GARMIN about this "forgotten" feature requesting a software update, but their answer has been vague... I guess I fell into the "wrong" guy !

I suppose everyone woud really like to have the volume control available at just turning the GSW wheel and I thougt that if many of us write GARMIN complaining about this they will get their sh**t together and implement it making it available to us through a simple, downlodable software update.

So please, let's get together on this and write them a message to the address:

'Product.Support@garmin.com'

Thanks,

Andre
Volume is not an issue for me, I use the Senna and adjust the volume on e easy to use knob
Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #666
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,970
ATG, I have a Jabra, too. Why not simply adjust the volume on the Jabra? The model BMW has gone with is that the Nav sends full volume to whatever device, e.g., head set, bike radio system, and you use the hardware at the receiving end to adjust the volume.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #667
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,039
I like the current method used to control volume via your Bluetooth device, if they offered volume control via the thumb wheel it would have to be at the expense of being able to use the wheel to scroll thru your music list which would not be a good trade off.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #668
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I like the current method used to control volume via your Bluetooth device, if they offered volume control via the thumb wheel it would have to be at the expense of being able to use the wheel to scroll thru your music list which would not be a good trade off.

Dear Emoto and Jetspeed;

Sorry, but couldn't figure out how to quote both your messages... Tryed the multiquote button but...

Indeed the Jabra street 2 that I use has, among others, volume control. As a matter of a fact that is how, presently, I am controlling the MP3 player. I have it attached to the gas cap with 3M dual lock.

Nevertheless, although it works fine, I find its buttons too small and pressing them to change the volume takes my attention away from the road as I have to look down in search of the right button. I find that turning the GS wheel is intuitive and that there is no need to even look at it. That is how I change songs.

Notice that one can change songs BOTH at the Jabra or at the wheel. They are not mutually exclusive; by the same token, I can control the volume BOTH at the Jabra or at the GPS using the simple 9 steps...

I understand that GARMIN could easily implement that the volume be controlled at the wheel and at the GPS and at the bluetooth receiver, obviously if the bluetooth receiver has volume controls. Electriclly its perfectly possible to have any number of resistors connected in series and an analog volume control is nothing more than a variable resistor in series with the audio output. Digital is even simpler than analog...

I also own another bluetooth receiver that has no volume controls and I can only control its volume going through the steps I mentined in my post.

In closing, volume control at the wheel needs not to be at the expense of volume control at the receiver and it certainly would be considerably more convenient and safer than controlling the volume as I do or, even, at the helmet controls.

So please, help me put some pressure on GARMIN's support !

Regards,

Andre
atg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #669
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,970
Ok, I'll email them.

In the near term, though, maybe you could run the Jabra output into something that has a simple volume control on it? I use a MixIt2 for all my audio. There are less expensive options too, like http://electric-avenues.com/audio/amplirider/ and another one whose name I have forgotten, so I can't find it for you.

I remembered! Boosteroo: http://boostaroo.com/store/Audio-Amplifiers/
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #670
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Ok, I'll email them.

In the near term, though, maybe you could run the Jabra output into something that has a simple volume control on it? I use a MixIt2 for all my audio. There are less expensive options too, like http://electric-avenues.com/audio/amplirider/ and another one whose name I have forgotten, so I can't find it for you.

I remembered! Boosteroo: http://boostaroo.com/store/Audio-Amplifiers/
Thanks for the tip.

I've looked at both your suggestions, however, as I don't need neither the amplification nor the switching functions I think it would be overkill...

I feel that the best solution for me will be GARMIN implementing the volume control which I think was just a an ovelooked thing. As they seem to be awfully slow to implement any changes I thought that with greater pressure they would, perhpas, speed things up. In the meantime I will just cotrol the volume through the Jabra.

Thanks for your help and for writting to Garmin !

Andre
Old 11-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #671
Houseelf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 8
Nav V in Nav IV Cradle on 2013 GSW

Can someone using Nav V on 2013 GSW purchased with Nav IV preparation post some pictures of Navigator V installed in the cradle? I've read reports that the scroll wheel works just fine, what about lock?
Houseelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #672
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseelf View Post
Can someone using Nav V on 2013 GSW purchased with Nav IV preparation post some pictures of Navigator V installed in the cradle? I've read reports that the scroll wheel works just fine, what about lock?
Houseelf;

All GSWs since its release come with the same GPS mount. There is only one model available and it fits perfectly both the IV and V and the "wheel" as well as the lock work just fine.

I´ll be glad to email you pictures if you provide me with your email address as I don't know how to post pictures in this forum.

Andre
Old 11-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #673
Houseelf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 8
Iheifets@me.com
Thanks a lot.. I am on the fence of plunging and order Nav V to replace IV but was not able to see a single image of the unit mounted on GSW cradle..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Houseelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #674
Glock owner
Bad Example

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdt View Post
What does "BOS" mean?
Sorry Bill of Sale
Glock owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #675
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Dear Emoto and Jetspeed;

Sorry, but couldn't figure out how to quote both your messages... Tryed the multiquote button but...

Indeed the Jabra street 2 that I use has, among others, volume control. As a matter of a fact that is how, presently, I am controlling the MP3 player. I have it attached to the gas cap with 3M dual lock.

Nevertheless, although it works fine, I find its buttons too small and pressing them to change the volume takes my attention away from the road as I have to look down in search of the right button. I find that turning the GS wheel is intuitive and that there is no need to even look at it. That is how I change songs.

Notice that one can change songs BOTH at the Jabra or at the wheel. They are not mutually exclusive; by the same token, I can control the volume BOTH at the Jabra or at the GPS using the simple 9 steps...

I understand that GARMIN could easily implement that the volume be controlled at the wheel and at the GPS and at the bluetooth receiver, obviously if the bluetooth receiver has volume controls. Electriclly its perfectly possible to have any number of resistors connected in series and an analog volume control is nothing more than a variable resistor in series with the audio output. Digital is even simpler than analog...

I also own another bluetooth receiver that has no volume controls and I can only control its volume going through the steps I mentined in my post.

In closing, volume control at the wheel needs not to be at the expense of volume control at the receiver and it certainly would be considerably more convenient and safer than controlling the volume as I do or, even, at the helmet controls.

So please, help me put some pressure on GARMIN's support !

Regards,

Andre
I use a Shuberth SRC system. Ith has 5 buttons. 2 for volume and it works fine. + there are plastics to guide your fingers so you know you have the right button. When filtering trough traffic I don't fettle with music or sound and keep my hands on the bars.

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote