ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #676
biker2hiker
4dirt
 
biker2hiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: New England
Oddometer: 100
The BMW NAV connects to the harness behind the headlight. There's an empty connection that mates with the GPS plug. It may be cable tied to prevent hanging loose . Hope this helps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
biker2hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #677
pklop
shit happens
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Holland
Oddometer: 71
Navigator V problem

My Nav V has a problem with the calculation of routes that contains rivers. This problem occurs when i select that he should avoid highways (while everything else is allowed). Under these circumstances he calculates ridicules routes that are hours and hundreds of miles longer then needs to be. The Nav IV does not have this problem in comparisons.

I live in The Netherlands so we have a lot of rivers. Because of this problem i won't sell my Nav IV so i can fall back on it.

My BMW dealer has seen and confirmed the problem. Garmin Europe won't acknowledge the problem however and i am not inclined to pursue this matter further. I did install the latest software and maps but to no avail.
pklop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #678
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Oddometer: 247
I can't believe the purpose-designed, most expensive motorcycle GPS in the world has problems.
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #679
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by pklop View Post
My Nav V has a problem with the calculation of routes that contains rivers. This problem occurs when i select that he should avoid highways (while everything else is allowed). Under these circumstances he calculates ridicules routes that are hours and hundreds of miles longer then needs to be. The Nav IV does not have this problem in comparisons.

I live in The Netherlands so we have a lot of rivers. Because of this problem i won't sell my Nav IV so i can fall back on it.

My BMW dealer has seen and confirmed the problem. Garmin Europe won't acknowledge the problem however and i am not inclined to pursue this matter further. I did install the latest software and maps but to no avail.
Have you tried to put "veerboten" on? I recently had a problem in the netherlands and found out it tried avoiding the ferries.
__________________
Past bikes: 09 BMW F800ST
Current ride: 2013 BMW R1200GS

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #680
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
I can't believe the purpose-designed, most expensive motorcycle GPS in the world has problems.
New to Garmin, are you?
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R11200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #681
mefly2
Studly Adventurer
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Big Sky Country
Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker2hiker View Post
The BMW NAV connects to the harness behind the headlight. There's an empty connection that mates with the GPS plug. It may be cable tied to prevent hanging loose . Hope this helps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Although there are two connectors leaving the Nav harness, the Nav cradle only connects to one on the bike ... I took off all of the Tupperware looking for the other connection and finally gave up. Then, my dealer tech told me that the same Nav harness is used on the K-bikes with an audio system.
__________________
----------------> jer-
30+ years with RTs...then to F/GS; now *Finally*
the BMW: R1200GSW, factory low seat & lower crash bars;
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #682
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Although there are two connectors leaving the Nav harness, the Nav cradle only connects to one on the bike ... I took off all of the Tupperware looking for the other connection and finally gave up. Then, my dealer tech told me that the same Nav harness is used on the K-bikes with an audio system.
Yes. You can get turn-by-turn audio directions out of that smaller connector, if you want.
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R11200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #683
Amania
Adventurer
 
Amania's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: wine country
Oddometer: 86
ear buds

would this be a way to get music and phone
using ear buds ?
__________________
I don't ride a BMW GS because I want to
I ride one because I need to
Amania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #684
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Naval Air Station North Island
Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amania View Post
would this be a way to get music and phone
using ear buds ?

No!
Only nav instructions.

There are some marvelous Bluetooth headsets on the market that allow for music and phone audio........and turn by turn as well.
__________________
2013 R1200GSW

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #685
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
No!
Only nav instructions.

There are some marvelous Bluetooth headsets on the market that allow for music and phone audio........and turn by turn as well.
This is one that works: http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-CLIPPER-...etooth+headset (although there may be better similar products out there, I don't know).



You could use a patch cord (instead of headphones) from the output to whatever sort of audio system you have, if you wanted to.
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R11200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #686
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
New to Garmin, are you?
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #687
pklop
shit happens
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Holland
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Have you tried to put "veerboten" on? I recently had a problem in the netherlands and found out it tried avoiding the ferries.
I indeed did made sure that ferries where allowed. At first i too thought it was a settings issue like that, but that wasn't the case. Today my dealer told me they are going to pursue it further and when/if there is more information from Garmin i will post it here.
pklop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #688
Desert John
Desert John
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Indian Wells, CA
Oddometer: 164
I nearly filled a 16GB card with music from my iTunes via my MacBook Pro and enjoyed music via my Sena bluetooth headset . . . and I took a phone call today, too. It works great, especially toggling between maps, fields, My Motorcycle and the music. Perfect!
__________________
'13 R1200GS LC
'14 Harley-Davidson FLHTK—yes, slightly liquid cooled
'05 Aprilia Tuono Factory R
Desert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #689
B00001
Gnarly Adventurer
 
B00001's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Austin, Tx
Oddometer: 125
Quick question on Nav V before I drop the better part of a grand on this thing. How big of a PITA is it to set up a route on the computer and dump it onto the navigator for a trip? What is the EASIEST way to do this?

I currently use handwritten notes, basically a turn sheet, and works ok. I will look at the map and write out my route with dirt/gravel roads, rural routes, highways, etc. would be cool if I could build my route EASILY and have it on this new fangled technological wonder.

Side question- what if you are well into the route and decide you want to bypass a road or two? I guess it would just reroute you back to the route you had set up?

Thanks in advance!
__________________
2014 R1200GSLC
B00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #690
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00001 View Post
Quick question on Nav V before I drop the better part of a grand on this thing. How big of a PITA is it to set up a route on the computer and dump it onto the navigator for a trip? What is the EASIEST way to do this?

I currently use handwritten notes, basically a turn sheet, and works ok. I will look at the map and write out my route with dirt/gravel roads, rural routes, highways, etc. would be cool if I could build my route EASILY and have it on this new fangled technological wonder.

Side question- what if you are well into the route and decide you want to bypass a road or two? I guess it would just reroute you back to the route you had set up?

Thanks in advance!
Well... Garmin's software is not terribly intuitive. It is fairly easy once you know how, but it will take you a bit of effort to learn how. Watch the BaseCamp tutorial videos. http://gpstracklog.com/2012/02/garmi...tutorials.html
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R11200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014