Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #721
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by despistao View Post
Not sure if it also Works this way on the Navigator V (I hope to have it tomorrow) but, in my car Garmin device, wich has similar features, I can also keep the 3D view but avoid the shading wich, sometimes, is disturbing. Specially when riding slowly through a road on the shaded side of a mountain.

I just go to Maps and Vehicle / My Maps and uncheck the DEM map, wich is the one that adds the shading effect in order to simulate the 3D terrain
On the Nav V, the #D shading is a separate checkbox you can check or uncheck: All Settings > Map & Vehicle > Map Layers > 3D Terrain
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #722
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,049
New Map Update available for North America

Garmin made mapset North America 2014.30 available today for download today.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #723
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Thanks!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #724
Meta-4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrdirektor View Post
Hi,
So overall I came to the understanding that a Nav 5 should be part of the stable. Especially for the larger screen with more pixels. However, I didn't hear much about issues with the MP3/Audio function. My Nav IV is a poor performer. MP3/Nav experiences hiccups with pairing and with the sound. I use two different BT adapters and get the same stupid behaviour from the unit. Usually the "fun" start after half an hour of music with increasing interrupts until the audio simply stops. Switching the unit off/on helps for a while. I do not believe that it is just the SD card (used several types/several speeds) or the way the files are named after decreasing the bit rate with a converter. In the end it is a lot of trouble to get something such as basic as playing MP3's to work. I don't want to go through this ever again and will not accept crappy functionality from a zillion euro navigation device. Especially when it pretends to offer more functionality than many other, cheaper devices lacking this.
I have cut my losses and use it for navigation only (without voice prompts). The rest goes through an ipod/iphone remote. There is even a plus side of this; you don't have to switch pages from the Map view to Mediaplayer to skip music or search files. Not a big thing, but it is an extra distraction on top of listening to music in the first place.

So to finish my final plea is that I will install a Nav IV mount on my R80, beside already having a mount on my LC. This way I can use one unit on two bikes. In the mean time I will await the first few software updates of the Nav 5 and seriously hope to hear what owners of the new unit have to say on the (improved?) functionality in terms of Apps and Music performance. Anyone hit a snag yet with high bitrates 192+ or long file names ????? Anyone ??? Come out, come out, wherever you are!
Just got my Class 10 32GB MicroSDHC card. BDPoweramp is batch converting 5,000 plus songs from FLAC to VBR MP3 with a target rate of ~192kbps.

My initial test of 10 songs played without incident and the app read the file tags and correctly sorted music by album, artist, etc, and displayed cover art all fine. Sitting in my office with my helmet on I listeded to a few songs on a Sena SMH10 (Firmware 4.3) without incident. Its looking good so far, but we will see how it handles a large file library tonight.
Meta-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #725
herrdirektor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Ok, thanks Meta-4, very promising. Especially the 192 kbps part gives me good expectations for the V.
This Saturday I will be transferring the infamous Nav IV to the R80 with a Ram mount and a second hand Nav IV holder. I don't use the R80 much, just for short rides, so the IV will be a good companion.
herrdirektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #726
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Thank you for the heads up.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #727
Meta-4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Rode in this morning (26F a little brisk) and played with the music app. With 5000 Songs its a bit laggy when browsing from artist view to album view to Song Title View. The NAV V Has no issue once its organized its initial view change, though. Its not phone like in its scrolling though files (Not buttery smooth or fast) but passable.

With a large library m3u playlists and browsing by artist or album are going to be the way to go.

Listened to nearly the full Alt-J album on the way in. No audio issues at all. Even when playing with the NAV, zooming in and out and generally futzing with the system (About a 30 min ride).

So far so good - This continues to look promising.
Meta-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #728
JetSpeed
Naviator

I have just about 600 songs on my Nav-V and I find myself skipping certain songs depending on my mood, I don't believe that there is 5000 songs on this planet that I could stand to listen to.
I currently have a nearly full cheap ass 8GB Class-4 Micro-SD card in the Nav-V and it scrolls through the song list as fast as I can twist the grip wheel, and I have never had so much as a hiccup out of the unit.

On long trips I use the FM stereo feature built into my F5XT headset when in areas I can get reception, I highly recommend this Bluetooth device.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #729
herrdirektor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Jetspeed, meta-4... . I`m convinced. When the winter makes room for spring, I will go for the V.
I accumulated perhaps 32+ GB of music over the years. 90% of it wouldn`t be something I would want to listen to on my bike, but still enough to re-use a 16 GB class 10 card originally bought for the NAV IV.
I`m not a nitpicker, so any shortcomings of the V do not outway the benefits. (Resolution, size, cpu-speed,apps and the improved media player)
herrdirektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #730
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 206
I slipped a 16 into my Nav V and it works brilliantly.

I downloaded MP3s from iTunes by playlist but it only shows up as the usual "artists", "albums" etc. Is there any way to save the files as the playlists I originally inserted?
Desert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #731
paco fernandez
Mexico

Oddometer: 64

paco fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #732
despistao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn View Post
I got my Nav V late Tuesday. I did check the compatibility of the 660 cradle with the Nav V

The Nav V fit snugly without any force. The latch and pins work the same as a Nav IV,660.

I have a car cradle version and the Nav V does indeed receive power from the cradle.The NavV has no built in speaker so unless you have a Bluetooth headset you won't hear verdal directions while driving. No problem here, I turn off the spoken directions when driving.
I've got a Navigator V and a Zumo craddle. It also fits snugly, but the device doesn't recieve power.

When you checked it, it was on a Zumo motorbike craddle or in a car craddle?
despistao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #733
Liquidape
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Got one

I should have never followed this thread. I got a Nav IV when I bought my '13GSW in August. After reading this thread I ended up buying a Nav V from CCBMW.
It arrived today when I was out for a ride.
Downloading and installing the latest maps and firmware.
So far I'm happy - it's MUCH MUCH faster than the Nav IV. Can't wait to try out the wheel zoom with it.
Liquidape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #734
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
I've got a Navigator V and a Zumo craddle. It also fits snugly, but the device doesn't recieve power.

I checked it on the car cradle. The pin assignment should be the same for both car and motorcycle cradles for the power. If you are sure of your wiring I would suggest using a microfiber cloth dampened with a little rubbing alcohol and wipe the contacts of the cradle and Nav V. I would also double check the 12 V connection from the bike and verify power being supplied.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #735
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:

I use the Nav-V in my truck with the Garmin 010-11270-02 Zumo cradle and it works perfectly receiving power via the pins.

So there has to be something wrong with your mount as previously mentioned.