Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #751
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by despistao View Post
Yep, i've found something strange about powering the Navigator V out of the cradle, e.g., when I'm just playing with it, uploading routes, ...

In fact, af first, i though it was something wrong with the battery as I wasn't able to charge the Nav V neither when connecting it to my computer (if the computer was switched on) nor with a wall charger wich worked ok with my previous sat nav.

But i noticed i can charge the Nav V via my computer only if the computer is
switched off, using one of those usb ports with permanente power delivery.

Strange.

I tried your suggestion and connected the cradle to a powered USB port on my computer with the PC off, still no power to the Nav-V.
Tried a wall charger and no dice.
Connected to a portable solar 2000mah charger and nope.
Finally tried an authentic Garmin car charger (that came with my Nuvi 52) and still nothing.

I just use the proprietary DC cord (Garmin PN:010-10747-03) that plugs into the side of the cradle, works good, paid about $20 for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
You must have young eyes, I could not read a screen that small with that text interface. One of the reasons I purchased a Zummo 660 was it was the biggest screen available at the time.
Don't know about young eyes but I have no trouble at all reading the screen, I have had this GPS-V in my bag of tricks for years and it fits nicely on the bars, I also won't get too upset if its stolen or damaged.
A large Zumo 660 would look a bit silly on this little bike and its a pile of crap, I had a Nav-IV on my GS and have almost nothing nice to say about the unit.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #752
Liquidape
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by despistao View Post
Yep, i've found something strange about powering the Navigator V out of the cradle, e.g., when I'm just playing with it, uploading routes, ...

In fact, af first, i though it was something wrong with the battery as I wasn't able to charge the Nav V neither when connecting it to my computer (if the computer was switched on) nor with a wall charger wich worked ok with my previous sat nav.

But i noticed i can charge the Nav V via my computer only if the computer is
switched off, using one of those usb ports with permanente power delivery.

Strange.
I've found the same thing. The Nav V charges just fine when connected to a USB plugged into a cigarette lighter socket. Does not charge when connected to the computer. But does charge when connected to a powered USB hub when the computer is off.

My guess is that the Nav V won't charge via USB when it senses a voltage on the data pins of the USB connector.
Liquidape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #753
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidape View Post
I've found the same thing. The Nav V charges just fine when connected to a USB plugged into a cigarette lighter socket. Does not charge when connected to the computer. But does charge when connected to a powered USB hub when the computer is off.

My guess is that the Nav V won't charge via USB when it senses a voltage on the data pins of the USB connector.

Are you talking about when it's in the cradle?

My Nav-V appears to charge just fine when connected to the PC via the Micro-USB port on the back, but it goes into PC mode so you can't see the charge indicator.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #754
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Maybe the PC has the wrong type of USB port. The output has changed a bit as the new versions have come out. A USB 1.0 or 2.0 might not do the trick.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #755
JetSpeed
Naviator

My computer has both USB 2.0 sockets and USB 3.0.
The Nav-V appears to work exactly the same in either type port.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #756
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Upon further review it appears that Auto Brightness is only available if connected to the BMW cradle on certain model bikes, the GSW for one and probably the large K bikes, there must be an ambient light sensor that the GPS has to interface with on the bike.
I havent read past the quoted thread post, but wonder why the GSW or Ks have a light sensor? Cant recall an auto-adjust paired to the headlights.... is there one for the instrument display?

Otherworld screwed with this post 11-30-2013 at 06:17 PM
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #757
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

For those who have never used Garmin, Basecamp sucks balls, so badly at times Ive had to muster up all my will power not to defenestrate my 350LM. That said, I sold it and will be picking up the Nav 5 next week.

So after shelling out the MSRP for the unit, next comes the question of the $30 extras: Live Traffic, photoLive and Advance Weather. Do all the features overlay the map? Im curious how these show up on the Nav V when in use. Can someone post photos of these 3 add-ons in use?
Old 11-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #758
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherworld View Post
I havent read past the quoted thread post, but wonder why the GSW or Ks have a light sensor? Cant recall an auto-adjust paired to the headlights.... is there one for the instrument display?
Yes, there is an ambient light sensor for the instrument display.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #759
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Has anyone actually tested its ROUTING capabilities yet??? All I can see is Bluetooth-this and mp3-that.

I wanna know:

1) Does it display a route exactly as planned on Basecamp, without re-calc'ing it or doing other stupid Zumo tricks to it?

2) Will it invert a route also without screwing it up?

3) Does it announce all 3970 via points as you follow a route, driving you insane?

And so on----HOW does it improve on Zumo's routing? Which is buggy as hell.

What about zooming--how far OUT can you zoom and still see the minor roads?

How difficult is it to scroll the screen to a remote point and then touch a spot and navigate to it?

Somebody please put one of these turkeys thru its paces and report on it. Please?
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #760
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I have purchased one of these from a US dealer as they are not available in Australia as yet. I opted for the Nav 5 because I was sick and tied of the crappy Garmin 660 and all it's faults. I also wanted some extra functionality. Can't wait to try the new one, apparently it is on the slow boat to Australia as it has been 3 weeks and the tracking number says it's still in the States, no wonder their economy tanked with postal services this slow ?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #761
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 208
I need to know how to "save" an entered waypoint. Any suggestions appreciated.

When I entered an address or business in my Zumo 660 there was a "save" button on the screen but no such thing on my Nav V.
Desert John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #762
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
I have purchased one of these from a US dealer as they are not available in Australia as yet. I opted for the Nav 5 because I was sick and tied of the crappy Garmin 660 and all it's faults. I also wanted some extra functionality. Can't wait to try the new one, apparently it is on the slow boat to Australia as it has been 3 weeks and the tracking number says it's still in the States, no wonder their economy tanked with postal services this slow ?

You do realize that the "slow boat" your Nav-V is on is Chinese?
And if you have only rotten stuff to say about the U.S then quit buying our shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert John View Post
I need to know how to "save" an entered waypoint. Any suggestions appreciated.

When I entered an address or business in my Zumo 660 there was a "save" button on the screen but no such thing on my Nav V.
After you select the address there are three buttons the center button is an "i" push it then select the icon in the upper left corner of the screen and it will give you the option to SAVE.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #763
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
And if you have only rotten stuff to say about the U.S then quit buying our shit
lol

The funny part is that the GPS is probably made in China.

The strange part is some Garmin GPSs are cheaper out here that US.

Ordered one last week from the US, post normally takes a week to 10 days. Have had stuff turn up 5 days.

OzOldrider screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 05:10 PM
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #764
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
And if you have only rotten stuff to say about the U.S then quit buying our shit.
Well, it was made in Taiwan. And you could of also have ordered it from Canada instead -same dollar number, different currency. And our economy may be tanking also, but no one here knows it yet so it would of gotten there faster.

Otherworld screwed with this post 12-02-2013 at 08:26 PM
Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #765
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Perhaps I missed this already; isnt the $799 uses-scroll-wheel-on-bike-pre-installed-navigation-mount-Nav V-version (vs. the $899 with 4-button-cradle/my-BMW-doesnt-have-a-gps-scroll wheel-controller-mount-Nav V version) suppose to come with the car mount option?