Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #781
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Yeah, I made one on my PC, put some mp3s in it and am copying it to the GPS. Oddly, windoes file explorer did not give me the option to create a folder when browsing the Nav V, and yet the folders there did not appear to be read only. We'll see how it works.
I made a folder called, imaginatively enough, "MP3" then copied it and pasted it to the Nav V in Windows Explorer. After pasting, when I refreshed Windows Explorer, a folder named MP3 was now present, but it was a sub-folder to one named "Music" which had not been present before. I know because I had enable viewing of hidden files, when I poked around earlier. Nor was "Music" the name of a folder abovemy MP3 folder on the PC, so it was not a case of copying more than I realized. WTF?

When still in the house, I fitred up the GPS and a small (non-moto) BT headset I have to test the media player. Was able to find play one of the cuts I had moved to the GPS no problem.

Then, I went out to the garage and popped the Nav V into the mount and fired up the bike (and GPS). After setting it to route me to a local gas station, in order to confirm that turn-by-turn directions audio was indeed making it out of the smaller mount connector to my system (it was), I tried to run the media player. Well, the media player will not run unless the GPS is paired to a BT device. So, I paired it to the same little headset I tested with in the house an was then able to run the media player and hear its output in the headset. Unfortunately, I can now confirm that the media player audio does not come out of the small mount connector.

Like I have said before, I do not need a media player on my GPS, so am not bothered by this, but at this time there is not a way to get media player output from the small mount connector.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #782
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Finally

My Nav V turned up yesterday. Ordered from the US it arrived in soaked packaging and looked liked it had been kicked around the block. The Nav is waterproof so I didn't expect damage , perhaps the wetness had something to do with why it took so long to arrive.Got home early and started to play, mine has US maps with lifetime upgrades, no use in Australia. The US maps take up a lot of RAM in the unit so I spent a lot of time working out how to view the System file, finally found it and removed the US maps. Just a head up for other Aussies buying from the US, you can't buy Garmin Lifetime upgrades for a unit unless it came with the region maps that you want the lifetime maps from , go figure ?
So I loaded Australian maps , transferred some music over, paired the Senna , paired the S3 , hooked up Garmin Smart link and set up the GPS.

This unit is so much better than my 660 , music is better quality , and so far no stop starting. The wiz wheel now works and although I thought a gimmick , being able to Zoom in is neat and as an older guy with less than 20/20 the info about the bike on screen is great.

For those who know more than me a few Questions:-

How do I get the tire pressure on the Garmin to show in PSI ? My bike readout is PSI but the Nav shows as Bar ?

Is there a way of getting rid of the safety startup screens, think has been asked ?

My computer doesn't like the connection to the Garmin , get USB wants more power than the Bus can supply?? Don't know why this is turning up but still seems to function ok.

No doubt a few more questions comming, having fun for now.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #783
smithdt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
My Nav V turned up yesterday. ....

The US maps take up a lot of RAM in the unit so I spent a lot of time working out how to view the System file, finally found it and removed the US maps....

Ordered from the US it arrived in soaked packaging and looked liked it had been kicked around the block. The Nav is waterproof so I didn't expect damage , perhaps the wetness had something to do with why it took so long to arrive.Got home early and started to play, mine has US maps with lifetime upgrades, no use in Australia. No doubt a few more questions comming, having fun for now.

How do I get the tire pressure on the Garmin to show in PSI ? My bike readout is PSI but the Nav shows as Bar ?

Hi Bails

Could you explain where the US maps are? Would like to do the same thing.

My Tyre pressure thing is the same as well.

Still waiting for a BT adapter to arrive before I do the music thing, but agree with you about the rest.

Cheers
smithdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #784
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdt View Post
Hi Bails

Could you explain where the US maps are? Would like to do the same thing.

My Tyre pressure thing is the same as well.

Still waiting for a BT adapter to arrive before I do the music thing, but agree with you about the rest.

Cheers
Yes this took me hours to work out. First you have to turn the Garmin on so the Files can be seen. To do this you need to hold the Right Hand Top of the screen in the Volume screen to get to the developer screen . You then turn on "I think MTS" this allows your computer to see the system files. Turn off and restart the Nav and plug in to computer. Computer needs to have folder access to show hidden and system files.

In the system file you will find the img maps for US .

What I did was copy all the files to a backup , and then deleted the US img files out of the system file , and put Australian map in.

If you need more help ask, I'll pull the Nav off the bike and give a better explanation.

Am off to work now though.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #785
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherworld View Post
Turns out no. My dealership says the mount is a separately purchased accessory: "That is an additional $153.58 plus taxes. The part number for that is 77 52 8 544 460."

Anyone out there more product savvy than I able to verify the Garmin 660LM automobile mount & car adapter (total $78) fit the Nav V?
The BMW PN sticker I have on my 4-button cradle / mount
(purchased after the Nav V) is

77527721940 Retail: $178.99

I haven't yet figured out (8 below zero outside and new snow drifting) the output harness wiring on how to connect to an external speaker as there is no speaker on the Nav unit or bike. The data sheet with the machine screw spacer / package does say "GARMIN" @2009 Part Number 190-01072-02 Rev A ...if that is any help.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust

mefly2 screwed with this post 12-09-2013 at 02:23 PM
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #786
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post

I haven't yet figured out (8 below zero outside and new snow drifting) the output harness wiring on how to connect to an external speaker as there is no speaker on the Nav unit or bike. The data sheet with the machine screw spacer / package does say "GARMIN" @2009 Part Number 190-01072-02 Rev A ...if that is any help.
I don't think that is the CAR mount, is it? I don't believe the car mount has been released yet.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #787
pistole
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Yes this took me hours to work out. First you have to turn the Garmin on so the Files can be seen. To do this you need to hold the Right Hand Top of the screen in the Volume screen to get to the developer screen . You then turn on "I think MTS" this allows your computer to see the system files. Turn off and restart the Nav and plug in to computer. Computer needs to have folder access to show hidden and system files.

In the system file you will find the img maps for US .

What I did was copy all the files to a backup , and then deleted the US img files out of the system file , and put Australian map in.

If you need more help ask, I'll pull the Nav off the bike and give a better explanation.

Am off to work now though.
thanks Bails. Helpful , that.

pistole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #788
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
My Nav V turned up yesterday. Ordered from the US it arrived in soaked packaging and looked liked it had been kicked around the block. The Nav is waterproof so I didn't expect damage , perhaps the wetness had something to do with why it took so long to arrive.Got home early and started to play, mine has US maps with lifetime upgrades, no use in Australia. The US maps take up a lot of RAM in the unit so I spent a lot of time working out how to view the System file, finally found it and removed the US maps. Just a head up for other Aussies buying from the US, you can't buy Garmin Lifetime upgrades for a unit unless it came with the region maps that you want the lifetime maps from , go figure ?
So I loaded Australian maps , transferred some music over, paired the Senna , paired the S3 , hooked up Garmin Smart link and set up the GPS.

This unit is so much better than my 660 , music is better quality , and so far no stop starting. The wiz wheel now works and although I thought a gimmick , being able to Zoom in is neat and as an older guy with less than 20/20 the info about the bike on screen is great.

Is there a way of getting rid of the safety startup screens, think has been asked ?

My computer doesn't like the connection to the Garmin , get USB wants more power than the Bus can supply?? Don't know why this is turning up but still seems to function ok.

No doubt a few more questions coming, having fun for now.
Must have came out in the bottom of the Chines ship lol. Maybe somthing in settings in the Garmin to change from metric to imperial for tire pressure.

I have one on order ,in transit now hopefully gets here quicker that yours,

Have latest maps of ebay which worked fine on my old Garmin so I will follow your plan to upgrade new one.

Thanks
Bill
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #789
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post

Nah man! the $150 I quoted is for the automotive cradle, not the 4-button motorcycle cradle.
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #790
despistao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Just be patient. Mine stopped showing the license agreement screen after several restarts (i'd say around 10).

I'm afraid you will keep seeing the second screen (safety advice) forever, though. Garmin's lawyers are concerned about our safety and, specially, about our abbility to sue them
despistao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #791
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't think that is the CAR mount, is it? I don't believe the car mount has been released yet.
660 car mount works fine. You will need to Bluetooth to car head set for sound though.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #792
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullholb View Post
Maybe somthing in settings in the Garmin to change from metric to imperial for tire pressure.
Thanks
Bill
No settings that I can find, have pretty much gone over it. Will check the special screen , hold the right corner down of the volume screen and see if there is a setting there. By the way I'm running 32 gig card and it seems to function well.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #793
smithdt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Sorry Bails - I'm lost...

Quote:
.. First you have to turn the Garmin on so the Files can be seen.
So they can be seen where? - on the NAV V screen or the PC screen?

Quote:
To do this you need to hold the Right Hand Top of the screen in the Volume screen to get to the developer screen .
Is there a button visible in the right hand top of your screen when you open the volume screen? I can only see the little spanner in the top LEFT of the screen. When I click that it goes into the "Audio Settings"

Quote:
You then turn on "I think MTS" this allows your computer to see the system files.
I cannot see anything.

Quote:
.....Computer needs to have folder access to show hidden and system files.
- done this.

Quote:

I must be missing something
smithdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #794
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
NO ...4 button cradle / mount.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #795
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdt View Post
Sorry Bails - I'm lost...

So they can be seen where? - on the NAV V screen or the PC screen?

Is there a button visible in the right hand top of your screen when you open the volume screen? I can only see the little spanner in the top LEFT of the screen. When I click that it goes into the "Audio Settings"

I cannot see anything.

- done this.

I must be missing something
Smithdt;

1 On the main screen, press "SETTINGS"

2 On teh new screen press "Units & Time"

3 On the new screen press "Units"

4 Choose "miles" for american units or "Kilometers" for metric units.

Once you change among these two options, you will change ALL measuring units including PSI or BAR. Unfortunatelly there is no way you can change items one by one, so if yoy want PSI instead of BAR you will have to change speed to miles, etc.

Andre
atg is online now   Reply With Quote