Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #826
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullholb View Post
Yes if you unlock gps, have a look at post #808.

Bill
Ah! Thank you so much. I see it now.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #827
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
I copied and Pasted but did the 3D and the CN Map, the maps show up as being used but the GPS does not display in 3D even though selected.
Bails, now that I can see everything, here is a capture of my .system folder with what I believe to be the 3D files circled. Do you have all of those?

Also, in the file called GarminDevice.xml, there are 6 references to 3D that I assume you need (and must match the files you have) as well.

I am guessing that the 3D files are map-specific, that is to say they are made to work with a particular map image file to create the 3D appearance. If that guess is correct, one can only get a 3D view with the files that go together. I could be wrong, though.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #828
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Here is the step-by-step for changing mode as mentioned above by sullholb and Bails. Many thanks to them for figuring it out!

Here's how:

On the Where To? screen, select Volume:

On the Volume Screen, press and hold the upper right corner of the screen for about 5 seconds:

A Developer Menu opens. Scroll down and select MTP Settings:

Select the radio button for Mass Storage, then click Save:

The unit is now in Mass Storage mode and when attached to your computer will allow viewing of the .system folder with its map files, etc.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #829
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt1305 View Post
For the price of the car mount, I'm going to buy a dedicated GPS unit for my car. Much lighter and I don't have to move it back and forth.
For one hundred fifty bucks, I bought a Samsung G4 Active, spent ten more bucks and bought a GPS app, and am done with Garmin forever.
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #830
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
For one hundred fifty bucks, I bought a Samsung G4 Active, spent ten more bucks and bought a GPS app, and am done with Garmin forever.
Actually for $150 you bought a Samsung G4 Active and a 2 Year Commitment to a Mobile Phone service contract which will likely total more than $1200 + the phone.
Thanks for sharing that with us, now my Nav-V somehow seems like a good deal, not to mention the fact that I enjoy the shit out of it, it's a fine piece of gear.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #831
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
I hate Garmin's mapping software and convoluted instructions, most of which is obtained through the user community rather than hiring a writer. That said, Nav V's integration with the GSW and future BMW models is a very real value, plus the GPS does what its supposed to do: tell you how to get from point A to B, and often in where you'd normally pay roaming charges (ie, crossing countries) and work in areas outside cell coverage -places where a GS is likely to be.... well in the middle of nowhere in addition next to the Starfucks. Plus, as pointed out by many, no carrier contract.
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #832
Exos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Hey folks,

Apologies if this has already been hashed out... but this is quite the thread and my Saturday night doesn't have time in it for a full review...

I had a question about the mapping capabilities of the Nav V for those who have one.

Is the Nav V capable of using TOPO overlays? Does it support 3D Terrain mapping? I am trying to ascertain the practicality of this being my nag device for off the road riding but it's had to find info on it...

Thanks.

Ryan
Exos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #833
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
I copied and Pasted but did the 3D and the CN Map, the maps show up as being used but the GPS does not display in 3D even though selected.
Maybe try to reload from the disc with set up, just let the disc auto run.

GPS finally found my senna but wants a pin number, I have no idea what this is or would be,
anyone else had this issue?

Bill

OzOldrider screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 05:23 PM
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #834
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherworld View Post
SNIP.... That said, Nav V's integration with the GSW and future BMW models is a very real value, plus the GPS does what its supposed to do: tell you how to get from point A to B, and often in where you'd ..SNIP.
'Otherworld' or someone - enlighten me some more as to what this 'integration' is/will be (besides the controller on the hand grip)...the salesman also spoke of it, but didn't have much info. I saw someone mentione they can see their tire pressure, what else?

A couple of other questions - I was at the dealer playing with the NAV 5 and noticed that the main screen has a little pull down menu at the top with a ‘car’ icon, a ‘motorcycle’ and something for 'Off Road'. OK we (the salesman and a couple of parts guys) figured out that 'Off Road' will route as the crow flies, but no one knew what the routing difference was between the ‘car’ and ‘moto’.

These are my 2 questions that the BMW guys could not answer:

1) Can the two profiles be set for distinct routing? Say the ‘car’ profile for “Fastest Time” and the ‘Moto’ profile set for “Shortest Distance”. This I can do with my NUVI. .
2) What profile do I use if I am walking downtown NY or Amsterdam? Again, my Nuvi has a walking mode ....

One theory on the auto vs moto modes, was that IF you have the car cradle hookup, this will allow acitivation of the speaker...is that all there is my friends (pretty lame to me)?

Thanks!
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #835
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Bails, now that I can see everything, here is a capture of my .system folder with what I believe to be the 3D files circled. Do you have all of those?

Also, in the file called GarminDevice.xml, there are 6 references to 3D that I assume you need (and must match the files you have) as well.

I am guessing that the 3D files are map-specific, that is to say they are made to work with a particular map image file to create the 3D appearance. If that guess is correct, one can only get a 3D view with the files that go together. I could be wrong, though.
I suspect you are correct about files needing to match. I am out of town and don't have my Nav with me so can't check. The issue is to know what the files you need are. I'd like to use my Zumo subscription as I have paid for that , If I could make the system think my new Nav was my Zuno I could buy new maps and have all the features I want with the Nav wanting to upgrade to US maps all the time, this would be good.

I do know I have matching 3D and Australian Maps but some of the other files may not be there. I am still waiting to find if anyone else can get proper 3D with a Garmin that was purchased with other maps.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #836
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Quote:
sNIP...my Zumo subscription as I have paid for that ...SNIP.
??are you refering t.o lifetime map updates?? Doesn't the Nav come with lifetime map updates included in the $$$ price tag??
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
Old 12-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #837
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap View Post
??are you refering t.o lifetime map updates?? Doesn't the Nav come with lifetime map updates included in the $$$ price tag??
Yes. According to webbike...
Quote:
The navigation unit is available either with preinstalled map data of Europe, North America or without preinstalled maps. If a customer decides on the version with preinstalled maps, he (or she, BMW!) receives lifelong access to map updates (Lifetime Map Updates - LMU).

So what subsciption are u referring to, Bails?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #838
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragrvs View Post
Hey folks,

Apologies if this has already been hashed out... but this is quite the thread and my Saturday night doesn't have time in it for a full review...

I had a question about the mapping capabilities of the Nav V for those who have one.

Is the Nav V capable of using TOPO overlays? Does it support 3D Terrain mapping? I am trying to ascertain the practicality of this being my nag device for off the road riding but it's had to find info on it...

Thanks.

Ryan
This cheat sheet might help, see 'custom maps'. http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/Navigato...igator%20V.pdf

But doesn't answer my questions:

1) Can the two profiles be set for distinct routing? Say the ‘car’ profile for “Fastest Time” and the ‘Moto’ profile set for “Shortest Distance”. This I can do with my NUVI.

2) What profile do I use if I am walking downtown NY or Amsterdam? Again, my Nuvi has a walking mode ....
Old 12-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #839
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by eap View Post
'Otherworld' or someone - enlighten me some more as to what this 'integration' is/will be (besides the controller on the hand grip)...the salesman also spoke of it, but didn't have much info. I saw someone mentione they can see their tire pressure, what else?

A couple of other questions - I was at the dealer playing with the NAV 5 and noticed that the main screen has a little pull down menu at the top with a ‘car’ icon, a ‘motorcycle’ and something for 'Off Road'. OK we (the salesman and a couple of parts guys) figured out that 'Off Road' will route as the crow flies, but no one knew what the routing difference was between the ‘car’ and ‘moto’.

These are my 2 questions that the BMW guys could not answer:

1) Can the two profiles be set for distinct routing? Say the ‘car’ profile for “Fastest Time” and the ‘Moto’ profile set for “Shortest Distance”. This I can do with my NUVI. .

One theory on the auto vs moto modes, was that IF you have the car cradle hookup, this will allow acitivation of the speaker...is that all there is my friends (pretty lame to me)?

Thanks!
Cant recall off the top of my head all the added telemetry data, but can say it reports engine performance and other cycle-actuations not communicated on the ComputerPro (or standard Comp I would imagine). Its data, not automation. Im pretty sure google will can provide the list of added data. The scroll wheel is huge, way safer than buttons vs. the 4-button cradle and especially in comparison to the glove-"friendly" screen. No doubt if you want to do GPS on the cheap, there are many solutions inc. older GPS units; if it works for you, why fix it? I had a Zumo 350LM and hated it -sell and upgrade was a no brainer to me; it was kludgy and the hardware was so old and underpowered refresh rates chugged at an infuriating pace. Plus, changing settings or adjusting the 350 while riding, which granted could be disabled or simply decided something I should not do, was bound to cause an accident because of said performance issues.

As for the Garmin features, couldnt tell ya. As I said earlier, I loath how Garmin codes its configuration and Basecamp. Though good for finding a place and routing to it if its a short distance, IMO GPS' are useless for calculating long routes on the fly and I rely on my to tell the route I had in mind rather than replace my mind when out exploring roads (which granted is the design-value of GPS systems).
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #840
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Here is the step-by-step for changing mode as mentioned above by sullholb and Bails. Many thanks to them for figuring it out!

Here's how:

On the Where To? screen, select Volume:

On the Volume Screen, press and hold the upper right corner of the screen for about 5 seconds:

A Developer Menu opens. Scroll down and select MTP Settings:

Select the radio button for Mass Storage, then click Save:

The unit is now in Mass Storage mode and when attached to your computer will allow viewing of the .system folder with its map files, etc.

Last night I removed my Nav V from the box in the closet after about 5 weeks, the battery was dead, and it was put away with the power OFF. After about 15 miuntes I was able to make the changes shown here. Hope this is not what will occur everytime I retrieve the Nav V for a ride, my other and former Garmin's never had this issue.