Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #841
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Actually for $150 you bought a Samsung G4 Active and a 2 Year Commitment to a Mobile Phone service contract which will likely total more than $1200 + the phone.
Thanks for sharing that with us, now my Nav-V somehow seems like a good deal, not to mention the fact that I enjoy the shit out of it, it's a fine piece of gear.
Yeah, I forgot- it makes phone calls too.
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #842
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
[QUOTE=eap;22992747]??are you refering t.o lifetime map updates?? Doesn't the Nav come with lifetime map updates included in the $$$ price tag??[/QUOTE

This is the issue I am referring to, I am Australian and have purchased a US NAV so I have lifetime US map updates. The adding of Australian maps isn't a problem except you cannot use 3D and Lane assist as this is only available on maps that are pre installed. I have the file there but for some reason the NAv does not use the 3D settings, this must be due to a file setting on the device.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #843
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
For one hundred fifty bucks, I bought a Samsung G4 Active, spent ten more bucks and bought a GPS app, and am done with Garmin forever.
And I am done completely with Samsung. When samsung sais a phone is waterproof they just aren't. And they do refuse waranty on a 3 month old phone. And the phone was nearly the same price as the nav.

A few years ago I had a dedicated device for everything, then I started going to one dedicated device and now I am going back to dedicated devices. Camera, GPS, ...

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #844
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
[QUOTE=Bails;22998704]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eap View Post
??are you refering t.o lifetime map updates?? Doesn't the Nav come with lifetime map updates included in the $$$ price tag??[/QUOTE

This is the issue I am referring to, I am Australian and have purchased a US NAV so I have lifetime US map updates. The adding of Australian maps isn't a problem except you cannot use 3D and Lane assist as this is only available on maps that are pre installed. I have the file there but for some reason the NAv does not use the 3D settings, this must be due to a file setting on the device.
Do you get the 3D setting in the driving map view? I get 3 options track up, north up and 3D.

Map layers screen has 3D options ticked.
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #845
despistao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
Check if you have a DEM type map installed and activated.

Garmin uses such type of map to draw the "shadows" on the terrain. With the map activated plus the 3D box checked on map layers, you should have the 3D effect.

I don't like the shadowing effect when on a mountain road, when it is zoomed in, as the shadowing makes more difficult to see the route for me, so i just disabled the DEM map and the shadows dissapeared.
despistao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #846
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by despistao View Post

Garmin uses such type of map to draw the "shadows" on the terrain. With the map activated plus the 3D box checked on map layers, you should have the 3D effect.

I don't like the shadowing effect when on a mountain road, when it is zoomed in, as the shadowing makes more difficult to see the route for me, so i just disabled the DEM map and the shadows dissapeared.
Yeah, I like 2D "track up" so that the map is always oriented correctly for me. Like you, I also disabled terrain shading in order to make the map more easily readable.

When I want to see terrain contours, I glance over at my Montana where I usually run topo maps.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #847
despistao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Some screenshots to clarify the 3D layer / DEM map effects.

This is how the myMaps option looks. The DEM map has to be activated in order to have shadowing effects on the terrain.

DEM map activated and 3D layer on

DEM map deactivated and 3D layer on

DEM map activated and 3D layer off

DEM map deactivated and 3D layer off (no visible difference with the previous one)

despistao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #848
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=sullholb;22998911]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post

Do you get the 3D setting in the driving map view? I get 3 options track up, north up and 3D.

Map layers screen has 3D options ticked.
Yes the options are there but the display is not 3D. The unit works fine in 2D but 3D is so much better for viewing IMO. Also lane assist is good when in the city, not a common occurance for me . Does 3D display on your unit ?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #849
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by despistao View Post

No DEM map installed on my unit.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #850
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Bails;23002021]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullholb View Post

Yes the options are there but the display is not 3D. The unit works fine in 2D but 3D is so much better for viewing IMO. Also lane assist is good when in the city, not a common occurance for me . Does 3D display on your unit ?
Looking at the pictures above I would have to say no, I don't have the DEM option either.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #851
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Looks like importing a. NAV 5 to Aus is not ideal. I was thinking about it too but am put off at the number of features lost in the AU update map process.

Bummer.
From what I can see the only think that's not working is 3D, not a problem as I have never used it and anyway, I use Topo maps for off road work.

All the other features more than up missing 3D imo.

Bill
Old 12-17-2013, 02:26 AM   #852
smithdt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
[QUOTE=Bails;22998704]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eap View Post
??are you refering t.o lifetime map updates?? Doesn't the Nav come with lifetime map updates included in the $$$ price tag??[/QUOTE

Bails

I also purchased the Nav V from the US and installed City Nav Australian maps. (PM me for where I got it from)

I don't know about 3D buildings ( I didn't think that was available for Australian cities anyway) but the 3D view option is working on my unit- in that I can select it in the menu and the view on the screen adjusts itself from looking from directly over head to look down about 45 degrees.

I don't know about lane assist yet as there are no major intersection around here and I don't know if this unit will allow " fly overs" on selected routes- so I haven't tested that option .

Cheets
smithdt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #853
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Some more news for the Aussies:

I have managed to get an Australian DEM and install. Does appear to work ? But need to get away from home on the bike to really make sure. Also think the 3D is now working at least it appears this way from a Home test. I don't know about 3D buildings .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfk9z4lrjzej9i3/25695.png

Bails screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 12:56 PM
Bails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #854
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,176
I like the integration of the Nav V to the onboard systems of the bike but can’t justify buying one when I have a 15 month old Nav IV...

Piaggio offer what they call a multimedia platform for their higher end scooters which is basically a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the bike’s service connector and transmits data to a smartphone app... this allows for all sorts of functionality beyond what a GPS system could offer, which would be great on the 1200 (and other models) if BMW would release a similar device for our bikes.

Are you listening BMW???

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #855
Old Nuke
Flatlander

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm_wizard View Post
I have a Zumo 550 that I have connected to the Canbus controlled cable under the beak. Does the Nav V use the same connector and cabling etc to hook up to the Canbus?

I have a 2011 1200 GS

Thanks,

John
Yes. I moved my Zumo 550 to my G650GS Sertao and connected the new Nav V to the Canbus under the beak on my 2011 1200 GS Adv. Plugs right in.
Old Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote