Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #106
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
Do you know if the new unit will have a faster CPU and allow for more map detail and MP3 player will be able to sort the tracks properly?

Map detail on Streetpilot 2720

Map Detail on Zumo 660

Same scale and location, map detail in setting is on maximum for both units.
I've always had an issue with electronic maps. I'm capable of understanding/seeing much more detail (roads) than what is displayed. I have to pan in and out to see more roads that I know must be there. Very lame. The paper map is still a century away from being replaced.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #107
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
I've always had an issue with electronic maps. I'm capable of understanding/seeing much more detail (roads) than what is displayed. I have to pan in and out to see more roads that I know must be there. Very lame. The paper map is still a century away from being replaced.
Totally agree. I use a paper map on a tank *and* the Nav. It's probably my weak mind, but I need more context than looking at the world through the soda straw of a nav screen.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #108
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post
Totally agree. I use a paper map on a tank *and* the Nav. It's probably my weak mind, but I need more context than looking at the world through the soda straw of a nav screen.
Yes, I find it necessary to have a paper map in the tank bag window for overview/context and the GPS for the close proximity view.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #109
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
I kindof like the satellite view on google maps. You can see all kinds of things like ancient theaters etc that can be a very good distraction from the route.
teomannaskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #110
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Well, I just got a BMW Motorrad email newsletter with:

THE NEW BMW MOTORRAD NAVIGATOR ADVENTURE:
EXPLORE MORE.
When the roads turn to trails and even to lakes this GPS system can help you find your way. With North American road maps and multiple applications geared for travel and outdoor activities pre-installed, the Navigator Adventure is ideal for dual purpose riding, camping, hunting and boating. You can create your own maps, log all travel data and reference key geocaching information directly from the display. Lifetime free map updates are included. The Navigator Adventure fits most BMW models. Visit your authorized BMW Motorrad dealer to order or for more information.

But the link only gives you dealer info, nothing about the new, apparently Montana-based, unit.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #111
vipers28
GSA Mountains

Oddometer: 108
Just looked at one at my dealers. Nice GPS. He had a comparison sheet of the 4 and 5, some minor differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post

EXPLORE MORE.
When the roads turn to trails and even to lakes this GPS system can help you find your way. With North American road maps and multiple applications geared for travel and outdoor activities pre-installed, the Navigator Adventure is ideal for dual purpose riding, camping, hunting and boating. You can create your own maps, log all travel data and reference key geocaching information directly from the display. Lifetime free map updates are included. The Navigator Adventure fits most BMW models. Visit your authorized BMW Motorrad dealer to order or for more information.

But the link only gives you dealer info, nothing about the new, apparently Montana-based, unit.
vipers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #112
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
If you are ordering the new wethead 1200GS with GPS prep, the Zumo 660/665 will not work with it. It will power up but that's it. You cannot control it from the switch gear (zoom in, zoom out, change pages and select various options) also the GPS will not set the clock on the bike, or receive a signal from the bike that the bike has hit reserve and it begins to display nearby gas stations... among other Nav IV exclusive features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjon View Post
Yes, that's right it needs to be the BMW navigator to be controlled by the spinning wheel on the bar, the standard garmin will only charge on the cradle.
Quote:

EXPLORE MORE.

So why does the R1200GSW come ready to support the Nav IV? I guess the V is for the GSWA next year?

BTW, thanks for everyone who has shed some light on this issue. As a Zumo owner considering purchasing a GSW, I now know that the Zumo will work on the 1200GSW as it always did on my 1150GSA. But if I do upgrade to a Nav IV or V I'll gain additional functionality and the ability to control the unit via the handlebar wheel.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #113
bimmer5891
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Not The V

This new "adventure navigator" is not a replacement for the Navigator IV. They will be sold side by side. The Adventure Navigator is more off road oriented and does not have bluetooth or MP3 function. The Navigator IV is still the "flagship" GPS offered by BMW. I suspec the LC GS is equipped to take the Nav IV rather than the Adventure Navigator because more people tend to tour on the bike rather than take it on single track offroad where the Navigator Adventure would be more useful.
http://parts.crosscountrycycle.net BMW, Ducati, Triumph Parts Fiche
http://www.crosscountrycycle.net Main Website

bimmer5891 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 10:50 PM
bimmer5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:14 AM   #114
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 976
Indeed. I currently have a Zumo 660 fitted to the Tiger (for day to day use). The mount is permanently fitted and hard wired to the electriccs. But I also have an additional mount for a Montana fitted to the bars, that allows an additional GPS be added when required.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #115
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer5891 View Post
This new "adventure navigator" is not a replacement for the Navigator IV. They will be sold side by side. The Adventure Navigator is more off road oriented and does not have bluetooth or MP3 function. The Navigator IV is still the "flagship" GPS offered by BMW. I suspec the LC GS is equipped to take the Nav IV rather than the Adventure Navigator because more people tend to tour on the bike rather than take it on single track offroad where the Navigator Adventure would be more useful.
Maybe, or they're just waiting for me to buy the IV and then they'll declare it obsolete.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #116
cjack
Studly Adventurer

It makes sense that the new Adventurer is just another off road Garmin. Which one though?
RA & MOA #224
Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #117
Emoto
Sure, why not?

I wish someone could scan or get ahold of an electronic version of the sheet dealers have that explains all the differences.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #118
cjack
Studly Adventurer

One thing about the BMW Nav Garmins is that something is always missing from the same version in the Garmin. True they have the touch buttons or talk to the OBC, etc. but depending on what is missing makes all the difference for me. For example, I really like the XM Weather Radar. Can the BMW Nav IV have that? Or the new Adventurer BMW Nav?
RA & MOA #224
Old 05-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #119
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
One thing about the BMW Nav Garmins is that something is always missing from the same version in the Garmin. True they have the touch buttons or talk to the OBC, etc. but depending on what is missing makes all the difference for me. For example, I really like the XM Weather Radar. Can the BMW Nav IV have that? Or the new Adventurer BMW Nav?
Right. They always differentiate the BMW unit somehow. That is why I would like to see the dealer sheet on it.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #120
bimmer5891
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Differences

Quote:
Right. They always differentiate the BMW unit somehow. That is why I would like to see the dealer sheet on it.
The spec sheets I have point out the differences between the Nav IV and the Navigator Adventure. There isn't much information as to what separates it from the unit directly from Garmin.
http://parts.crosscountrycycle.net BMW, Ducati, Triumph Parts Fiche
http://www.crosscountrycycle.net Main Website
bimmer5891 is offline   Reply With Quote