Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #121
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer5891 View Post
The spec sheets I have point out the differences between the Nav IV and the Navigator Adventure. There isn't much information as to what separates it from the unit directly from Garmin.
So can either of them support XM and have provision for plugging in the XM antenna for music or weather?
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #122
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I wish someone could scan or get ahold of an electronic version of the sheet dealers have that explains all the differences.
Quote:
The spec sheets I have point out the differences between the Nav IV and the Navigator Adventure. There isn't much information as to what separates it from the unit directly from Garmin.
This brings up an interesting point. BMW sort of treats it's customers like mushrooms - feed us BS and keep us in the dark.

I had a dealer (who will remain un-named) share with me a PDF file on the NEW water boxer GS and it was full of great information including packages and prices (MSRP). Why I can't get that info directly from the BMW website is a mystery to me. To have someone attempt to explain that same information to you over the phone is very difficult.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #123
bimmer5891
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
no XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
So can either of them support XM and have provision for plugging in the XM antenna for music or weather?
The Navigator Adventure has no provision for Bluetooth or MP3 so I would say no.

The Nav IV will not do XM or weather either unless someone has figured something out I have not heard of.
http://parts.crosscountrycycle.net BMW, Ducati, Triumph Parts Fiche
http://www.crosscountrycycle.net Main Website
bimmer5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #124
Thunder Pig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I have a NavIV and a Zumo 660 and they are the same unit hardware wise, software is similar. The 660 does not nor can have XM or weather radio add to it. The 665 has that capability.

The Adventure model based on pictures and comments here is a Montana. Offroad use is is main use but of course it can be used as a street unit by having the maps added if not already installed.

I will say the the Adventure model will not replace the Nav IV for a least a few years as it is used in the other street models and is intergrated into the dash panel. The Adventure will not fit in them without using a hammer and that MAY effect it's operation, ok it won't work afterwards.

The two models will contiune to supported for sometime with more updates probably coming software wise for new fearture that whatever bike you are riding may not even have but others do.

I do not have a inside source of information, it's just uncommon sense and looking at what the current models are using and comparing that to what the new models are using.

If Garmin stops making the Zumo 660/665 then that would be the sign that winter is coming, sorry Game of Thrones referance, and a new unit with alot of bike changes are coming for several models in the showroom.

My option which has whatever value you choose to give it, is to get the current GPS that is recommened for your bike and go ride. You can wait till the next great thing comes if you want, but you will probably not ever get anything as the new model that comes out today already has it's replacement being feild tested tommorrow.

End of rant. We now return to the regularly scheduled programing.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #125
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Bump....

Any update on the Nav V? I thought the word was it was going to be released either last month or this month. I am prime to get a Nav for my new to me 2011 Triple Black...
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #126
Englishmatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Go buy the 665 and save yourself the headache of the BMW NAV.

I learned the hard way....

You will love the 665 once you get past the firmware random reboot issues.

sent from my roaming gnome device.

"I can't lead, I go too fast..." Scott Hinkle, 4/2010
Englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #127
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

I am thinking of going with the Garmin Aera 510 because it has weather, street and flight info for roughly the same price.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #128
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
I was corresponding with Garmin support and pressed for detail about how the Montana differed from the impending BMW Adventure GPS. This is what I got:

"After looking into it and speaking with our Dealer Tech Helpdesk, There are only two differences between the Montana and an Adventure. The Adventure will come with a few preloaded points of interest such as BMW dealers and service centers. The case of the Adventure will also be slightly darker and say BMW on it. These are the only differences in the units."
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #129
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
I have been told late June/early July.
So much for that. It will probably be a day later than when I finally get pissed off about waiting and buy something else at this point.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #130
Starstriker
www.transasia.se

Oddometer: 505
BUMP: Any news yet?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #131
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

I just bought a Samsung S4 Active and a RAM X-Mount and removed my BMW NAV IV mount. Goodbye stand-alone, dedicated Garmin GPS that costs an arm and a leg. Goodbye Bluetooth incompatibility. Goodbye old technology.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #132
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
I just bought a Samsung S4 Active and a RAM X-Mount and removed my BMW NAV IV mount. Goodbye stand-alone, dedicated Garmin GPS that costs an arm and a leg. Goodbye Bluetooth incompatibility. Goodbye old technology.

That's a nice phone and may do well for what you need, not suited for me and I prefer the handlebar control and instrument integration of the Nav IV and I'll upgrade to the Nav V when it becomes available.

FYI: Garmin Map update North America 2014.20 just rolled out for anyone interested.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #133
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
How is it in sunlight, and can you keep it charging as you ride?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #134
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
How is it in sunlight, and can you keep it charging as you ride?
Great in sun, and I keep it charged with this-

http://www.burnsmoto.com/usb-power-s...atherproof.php
Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #135
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
I use my old galaxy S3 in a waterproof casing mounted on the handlebars as secondary GPS and music player. Only downside is I can't charge it while on the go. Positive is that my free program (that is usable offline) has better and more up to date maps than the garmin and (even on my old S3) is much faster than the garmin 660.

This is how it looks like.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote