Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #1456
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Are the maps you installed the new Navteq ones? Could you tell me from the about menue what the maps are?
I want to install maps on both my computer and on the Nav 5 so I don't have to have the unit plugged in when making a route on Basecamp.
Maps are 2014.30 Navteq CN Aust & NZ.
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #1457
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullholb View Post
The City Navigator Australia & New Zealand is only available via Download or SDCard.

Have you actually installed these on your computer for BaseCamp/MapSource?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 05:12 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #1458
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

It was on CD when some of us purchased it last year, seems like only sd cards at the moment, not saying mine is genuine but it worked fine.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 AM   #1459
Joachim
Joachim

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Thanks. The ones on the Australian micro sd card are 2014.40. I'm sure the difference is undetectable. Garmin claims to release 4 updates to their maps per year. If one is on micro sd cards - they can't be updated, you have to repurchase. If BMW had have felt a bit more generous they could have given us life time map updates.
The zumo 390LM for $600aus has that and is essential the same unit except a different shape and no remote control; compared to over $1000 for the Nav 5.
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #1460
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Not to go off topic to far, but, what is the deal in OZ where Garmin doesn't sell devices with Factory installed Maps? Did you guys piss them off or something?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #1461
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Not to go off topic to far, but, what is the deal in OZ where Garmin doesn't sell devices with Factory installed Maps? Did you guys piss them off or something?
LoL

The NavV just wasn't available from dealers out here until recently and the price was over the top as usual for Australia. I think the price now is around $1200.00 now, I was tolled $1400.00 by one dealer back in November .don't know what the map deal is someone should tell us soon.

Bill

2013 GS1200LC
KLR650 gone WR250 gone, plus many more gone.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #1462
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
LoL

The NavV just wasn't available from dealers out here until recently and the price was over the top as usual for Australia. I think the price now is around $1200.00 now, I was tolled $1400.00 by one dealer back in November .don't know what the map deal is someone should tell us soon.

Bill
I am tied of being Bum Raped by BMW . Although I decided to help my son do an oil change on his Ninga 300. Kawasaki Chinese oil filter $27.00 , 4 litres oil $69.00 Al washer $3.00. Next change using non OME will be a 3rd of the price. Really we must look like idiots in Australia paying nearly more than double for most of our stuff especially when there is no import taxes on motorcycles.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #1463
Joachim
Joachim

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
LoL

Bill
I'll call the Garmin helpline about the option of installing lifetime maps on internal memory. I bought the microSd card with the maps because I thought that the map software had to be the BMW one to work with their hardware. That appears to be wrong, as some people are saying that they installed maps into internal memory. Doing so allows you to install maps on both your Nav and your computer for use in Basecamp. This means that you can plan routes without having the unit plugged in to access the maps on it. For those users not using Basecamp - you are missing out on a huge advantage of having the Garmin GPS on your bike.
Lifetime maps come on a DVD and once installed on the unit they are linked to only that unit's internal ID, ie, you can not swap them to another Garmin.
The micro SD cards with maps can be plugged into any Garmin but can not be updated.
There may be some cheap ebay versions available (?) from what I read above, but I assume that they can not be updated?
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #1464
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
As far as the grip ring and navigation on the Nav V ... what does it do besides zoom in/out - if you do not use it for music?
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #1465
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,254
Is there a way to get rid of the stupid "Main street ahead" tool bar at the top of the map?

I know where I am, I'm not navigating and I don't care that Main street is ahead.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #1466
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
I'll call the Garmin helpline about the option of installing lifetime maps on internal memory. I bought the microSd card with the maps because I thought that the map software had to be the BMW one to work with their hardware. That appears to be wrong, as some people are saying that they installed maps into internal memory. Doing so allows you to install maps on both your Nav and your computer for use in Basecamp. This means that you can plan routes without having the unit plugged in to access the maps on it. For those users not using Basecamp - you are missing out on a huge advantage of having the Garmin GPS on your bike.
Lifetime maps come on a DVD and once installed on the unit they are linked to only that unit's internal ID, ie, you can not swap them to another Garmin.
The micro SD cards with maps can be plugged into any Garmin but can not be updated.
There may be some cheap ebay versions available (?) from what I read above, but I assume that they can not be updated?
For about $20 to $30 you can get the latest maps of ebay, mine are already out of date I see but I don't use Garmin maps so don't care.

Would have thought there should be a way of transferring maps from SD card to internal memory though.

I still use map source for computer mapping,haven't come to grips yet with Basecamp.

2013 GS1200LC
KLR650 gone WR250 gone, plus many more gone.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #1467
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
As far as the grip ring and navigation on the Nav V ... what does it do besides zoom in/out - if you do not use it for music?
It also is used to select options which are on the screen and change the display. Pretty much everything.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #1468
toniguedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Smartphone Link Issues after upgrading to 2.70

Hello guys,

It's almost impossible to automatically stablish a SmartPhone Link connection (Iphone 5) after upgrading my Nav V to the new firmware (2.70) ...

I've already tried to unpair/pair the devices, but the problem persists, but sometimes it will connect if I disable/enable the bluetooth on the GPS or, in some cases, quit the SmartLink App at iphone.

It used to work fine before upgranding...

Anyone facing simmilar issues?
toniguedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #1469
Kevin Dixon
Motorrad Abenteurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by toniguedes View Post
Hello guys,

It's almost impossible to automatically stablish a SmartPhone Link connection (Iphone 5) after upgrading my Nav V to the new firmware (2.70) ...

I've already tried to unpair/pair the devices, but the problem persists, but sometimes it will connect if I disable/enable the bluetooth on the GPS or, in some cases, quit the SmartLink App at iphone.

I gave up on it myself. It never connects automatically with any version I have used. iPhone 5 latest updates. I actually had Apple refund me for the weather and traffic app purchase since it doesn't function as advertised.
Kevin Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #1470
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniguedes View Post
Hello guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
I gave up on it myself. It never connects automatically with any version I have used. iPhone 5 latest updates. I actually had Apple refund me for the weather and traffic app purchase since it doesn't function as advertised.
My experience has been that whenever you do a software update, you should do a Master Reset following. You will need to redo your Bluetooth Pairing. As for automatic reconnect, that is an issue with the iPhone but a simple tap on my iPhone reconnects me to the NAV5 every time.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-09-2014 at 11:23 AM