Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Boxer-lust OP
Banned

Oddometer: 528
Like I said I was looking at it yesterday and would have liked to ride it but no...
As far as sports-tourers go the only real contender from japan but I was wandering why I have never seen one on the road...compared to the older VFR which were actually quite popular ?!
Heared that the handling of the VFR1200 is also a little clumsy compared to the 800...
A american magazine that doesn't accept advertisement $$$ had a comparo of the VFR 1200,Conny 14 and FJR 13 recently.The also had a new GS as a camera bike and carrying mule.
They all agreed that the GS was the best sports-tourer and bike they would by with their own money.
Go figure...and the GS as also Connie or FJR are not even real sports-tourers...
I guess I have to keep waiting for a "adult version" of the S1000RR with a little more legroom and nice-cessities like factory luugage and centerstand or a practical & sporty R1200RS boxer...
But for 12K/w bags OTD I would be willing to find out how bad the VFR really is...
And if I was 16 I surely would pester my old man to buy me that nice little CBR 250 with ABS... what a nice bike for a beginner !
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
Milar
Life is an adventure.

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesmt View Post
Another reason you dont see many is because the sport / touring market is dead, Nowadays if you want a bike that is comfy and fun in the twisties you buy a bike with a upright seating position and wide handlebars. Like a KTM 990 SMT, Triumph tiger, Ducati multistrada.
Amen brother. Tell it like it is. Sport tourers are for old timers stuck in the '70's and '80's. Adventure tourers are the future. Honda killed off the VFR 800 and replaced it with an adventue tourer. Ducati killed off the ST series and replaced them with an Adv. tourer. KTM skipped the whole genre and based their touring bike on the supermoto platform, not the Duke/RC8 platforn. 'nuff said.

When Honda builds the adventure tour version of the VFR1200 it will sell.

M
Old 10-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #18
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,330
I posted someone's review here
Old 10-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by south View Post
I never said anything about "lazy"--I'll happily defer to your experience in that matter, since I freely admit I have none. I merely responded to your statement that the bike's poor gas mileage can be attributed to what you feel is a legitimate trade-off for what you claim is stellar motive performance--the standard "it takes fuel to go fast". My point was/is that other bikes offer (widely documented) equal or better performance with better fuel economy.

I'm not looking to pick a fight, just pointing out that your statement(s), despite the manner in which they are delivered, are either flawed or simply not factual; what they are is one person's opinion based upon their own experience, and that experience is clearly subjective and quite possibly limited (by implication in that you feel that the VFR1200 is some remarkable power-house whereby it's relatively greater fuel consumption is repaid in direct proportion with relatively greater performance (and not perhaps due to greater frictional losses of its high-tech drive train). You ask if I've ridden a VFR1200, but I'm not the one making the authoritative, first-person claims (and actively and unnecessarily drubbing others in the process). You are. So what really needs to be asked--and answered--is what else have you ridden that allows you to make the claim that the VFR's sub-standard fuel economy is offset by above-standard engine performance. I understand your specific point that you feel it is superior to a BMW GS, but your general statement calls for broader-ranging support.

And, since we're engaged logically/factually debating/critiquing statements you make:

Clearly, we're not anonymous here, we're just (for the most part) known by names other than what we use in general society, and/but known by a considerable audience, to boot.

And, I find your statement(s) about -motorcycles not having to fit into categories as the reason for needing more than one motorcycle- rather awkward. It seems to me that the supposition that motorcycles may transcend/over-reach any particular category/ies would imply that fewer (perhaps even *one*), and not more, motorcycle(s) are needed, since any given bike need not be so narrowly defined by a particular category that it can't serve to function in multiple roles.

Anyway, enjoy your VFR; it sounds like your perfect bike, and, therefore, I'm glad you have it.

Thanks, but answering that is too much like work.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #20
DELTATANGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Never say "never," never say "always," and "only" can get you into deep Kimchi, too; once again, opinion is being touted as fact. What you really need is a late K100RS - cheap, dependable, fast enough, over 50mpg cruising @ 70-80 (fact), and still a helluva bike. BRICKS
Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #21
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milar View Post
Amen brother. Tell it like it is. Sport tourers are for old timers stuck in the '70's and '80's. Adventure tourers are the future.
Or not. I prefer the forward lean to a more upright position. Bikes that I've owned previously that were more upright than my current ride are the F650, Zephyr 750, Duke II, and 599. There's a reason for the lean.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #22
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Various Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-lust View Post
Like I said I was looking at it yesterday and would have liked to ride it but no...
The bike is not selling well, so many dealers are offering test rides to showcase the bike's goodness.

Quote:
Heared that the handling of the VFR1200 is also a little clumsy compared to the 800...
I've ridden both, not so.

Quote:
A american magazine that doesn't accept advertisement $$$ had a comparo of the VFR 1200,Conny 14 and FJR 13 recently.The also had a new GS as a camera bike and carrying mule.
They all agreed that the GS was the best sports-tourer and bike they would by with their own money.
Go figure...and the GS as also Connie or FJR are not even real sports-tourers...
Whatever. Test ride them and determine which one "floats your boat."

Quote:
I guess I have to keep waiting for a "adult version" of the S1000RR with a little more legroom and nice-cessities like factory luugage and centerstand or a practical & sporty R1200RS boxer...
You'll keep waiting, most likely. BMW already has bikes that address the "category."

Quote:
But for 12K/w bags OTD I would be willing to find out how bad the VFR really is...
The bike is a great value for higher than that.

Quote:
And if I was 16 I surely would pester my old man to buy me that nice little CBR 250 with ABS... what a nice bike for a beginner !
Not only for beginners! I would love to have one.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #23
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I'm really surprised you couldn't get a test ride, after all, this bike is a couple years old now and still sitting on the showroom floor. I've had several dealers offer to let me ride the new VFR and I turned them down. I can't get past the way the thing looks.

It also didn't do well in the magazine tests. I shouldn't say that, it did fine, it just didn't blow anyone away. Didn't live up to its hype. The K1300S BMW is it's main competition and it didn't beat the BMW in any of the normal measurable categories, though it was close, and is by all reports a fine motorcycle.

I think price was the final straw. Even though Honda builds great quality (better than BMW ). I think there is still a general feeling in the motorcycle community that if I'm going to spend BMW (insert expensive Euro brand here) money I'm going to get a BMW. If original retail for the standard bike would have been in the $12,000 range, $13,000 with the bags, I think it would have been a much bigger success.

I also have never seen one on the road.
Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
Twilight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I did testride the bike, and I even like the look. I just could not get past that they switched the placing of the flasher-button and the horn. I kept hitting the horn button when changing lanes. Frustrating to say the least. But mostly it was to uncomfortable. I have long legs, and even a short trip was painful. I need a lot of legroom, so it's adventure-tourers for me I guess.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
They liked it.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/1112...-Shootout.aspx

I need a bigger tank with at least a 200 mile range. Maybe there will be a ST version or the upcoming GS fighter will work?
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #26
DELTATANGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
They liked it.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/1112...-Shootout.aspx

I need a bigger tank with at least a 200 mile range. Maybe there will be a ST version or the upcoming GS fighter will work?
Add electronic cruise control and watch the mileage and range go up.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #27
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
vfr 1200

I swear, Honda needs a new photographer. Every pic I saw of that V-4 made it look piggish. I was astounded when I first saw it in person. It was much smaller & better looking than I'd imagined, almost a different bike. The fit & finish was superb & the paint was an inch deep & lustrous. I've never ridden one so I can't speak to performance, but this bike needs to be seen in person. It's much sweeter than the photos imply.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #28
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,952
Well it's becasue it misses it's intended target, or at least it's perceived target.

If the customer who rode an VFR 800 or even the VFR 750 was the target
Honda missed them by a mile, it's big, it's "heavy" it doesn't have very good range it doesn't have the growl, it's not "sporty" enough. And it's Bloody expensive. nearly twice the cost of the old VFR750 and a good bit more then when the 800 was introduced.

If the customer was the ST1100 buyer.
It's flat out not touring enough, the tank is too small, the bags are too small. the seating position is too sporty.

If the target was something different, something new, like say a guy who used to ride a literclass sport bike but wanted something just a little more comfortable and easy to ride, and could take bags or even a passenger
Someone who doesn't "tour" but takes weekend trips once and a while.

Then it's a decent bike.

As it is, the press and a lot of riders don't know what to make of it.
Personally I think Honda should have called it something else. As it really is something else, It's not an ST or A VFR It's really more of a Touring Sportbike.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 AM   #29
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
Add electronic cruise control and watch the mileage and range go up.

And the sales, I'd bet.

Electronic cruise is widespread in the four-wheel world, and very arguably it is much more useful on a big bike, where holding the thing close to a particular quasi-legal speed demands real concentration.

And with ride-by-wire throttles it is just software and a few switches to add it to a bike. So why don't they? It can't just be liability issues, surely. Honda and BMW both offer it on their big tourers.

Seems like a no-brainer on the VFR: fits precisely the gentleman's-express profile.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #30
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
I spent 12 months with the manual version. Loved it - but one test ride on the Kwak Z1000SX highlighted that the VFR belongs to another era.
Instead of copying BMW, Honda should have taken the VFR concept back to it's roots. They had a nice, punchy, revvy, comfy alternative to the sportsbikes of the day (ZXR750, FZ750 etc) and year by year, it got heavier and less fun to ride. If it weighed 210kgs wet, had a litre block, no VTec and standard ergo's, then it would have given the ailing sports tourer market one hell of a shot in the arm.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote