Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 04:20 AM   #31
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
I spent 12 months with the manual version. Loved it - but one test ride on the Kwak Z1000SX highlighted that the VFR belongs to another era.
Could you elaborate more on how they compare please?
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:03 AM   #32
GeeJack
I Like to Ride

Oddometer: 9
Maybe Reviews LIke This?

Motorcycle Consumer News
Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 AM   #33
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,497
Despite going back to my favourite type of bike this year (Adv bike - Yamaha S10), the 2 best bikes i have ridden lately were the Kawasaki Z1000SX and Yamaha's XJ6. Both were great, fun bikes. Light, nimble and had great fueling.They both covered all the bases that most road riders would ever need.
I agree with previous posters. The "conventional" sports tourers like the VFR are great bikes - but their day is over. Triumph has ceased production of the Sprint, the VFR has been a sales flop, and other than big block beasts like the 'busa and the soon to be updated ZX14, there is little choice left.
The Z1000SX was more comfortable, had crisper fueling as standard and was much cheaper, which means it'll sell better, and will have more aftermarket options because of that reason.
The VFR12 is a great bike - but for the money, there are better options.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #34
JHa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeJack View Post
Huh! How an earth someone can compare VFR1200F to those elephants.
It was clearly in a wrong group.
I would have understood if C14 and FJR were compared to ST1300.
JHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #35
Boxer-lust OP
Banned

Oddometer: 528
I went to another dealer and they had a demobike..."regular shift" VFR12...
Anyways I know now what some of you guys were saying.
Nice bike,good seating position but a little cramped for the legs if you have a 36 inseam...
The engine is aliitle flat off the bottom and doesn't have the shove of the K1300S from 5000rpm on but still fast enough for "sane road use"...
Handling was a little clumsy compared to the K1300S due to weight/? and the linked brakes were not as good as BMW's linked ones;
Front uses front/rear,Rear only rear.Honda's rear applies also the front which can be dangerous in some situations...
Tank is small and mpg low as I have read...
Like the driveshaft and the weird design grew on me in a way the design of the R1200ST never did...
All in all a nice bike but it did not ignite the excitement to trigger the must have & buy reflex...
Like I said for 12 grand with bags I might have given her a try...but I can understand MCN better now why they would have bought a GS instead of VFR12,Connie14 und FJR13 with their own money instead.
For me the GS is too upright for a sports-tourer as you sit a mile away from the frontwheel.
I hope for a more practical version of the S1000RR or R1200RS to get something sporty and practical enough for use on public roads...
I think the VFR12 is a little heavy for trackdays...
I think Honda should drop the price and put a bigger tank on it to give the VFR a second chance.
I don't think they can lower the weight but their new GS version of the VFR won't be the answer either.
Too heavy,too complex and who needs or can 150 or so hp on gravel roads with over 600lbs of weight...
If you throw it down I see a lot of expensive plastic to repair...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #36
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-lust View Post
Handling was a little clumsy compared to the K1300S due to weight/?
What'd you do, ride it around the parking lot?
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #37
Boxer-lust OP
Banned

Oddometer: 528
Cos,best Honda for the parking lot is definately the CBR250...
Good sport-tourers are unfortunately hard to find nowadays...
The upright brigade either big touring barges like Connie or the Adventure tourers don't interest me.
The VFR could have followed me home but weight,handling,lower rpm torque,small fuel range,linked brakes and price prevented it.Than I'd rather have the older K1300S that is more exciting to ride with stronger engine & quicker handling.But still a little big for a sport (touring) bike.
Nothing a "R1200RS" couldn't cure or a S1000RR / ZX10R with more legroom,beltdrive,factory bags,rack and centerstand as options for people who actually like to ride those bikes...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #38
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 426
I think the range is really the only issue with the VFR. It's a great bike and up to Honda's usual high quality standards. With my bike, I have gotten so accustomed to going 200+ miles before looking for fuel that it's a bit of a pain to ride with smaller tanked bikes that have to always be on the lookout for a fuel stop. If they'd put a 6+ gallon tank and factory cruise on the VFR12, that would be one of the nicest S/T's on the planet.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #39
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
I swear, Honda needs a new photographer. Every pic I saw of that V-4 made it look piggish. I was astounded when I first saw it in person. It was much smaller & better looking than I'd imagined, almost a different bike. The fit & finish was superb & the paint was an inch deep & lustrous. I've never ridden one so I can't speak to performance, but this bike needs to be seen in person. It's much sweeter than the photos imply.
Looks are subjective but I'l chime in to say that I think it looks a lot WORSE in person. It's even weirder and bulkier in the flesh. The view of the bike as you approach it from the left rear, with the batwing tank and huge final drive is almost cruiser like.

Just my opinion, but this is one of the ugliest motorcycles I've ever seen. If I had to identify the two changes that would have made it a strong seller, it would be: 1) Selling it as a ST1200F rather than a VFR (with a ST-sized tank); and 2) top to bottom restyle.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #40
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Looks are subjective but I'l chime in to say that I think it looks a lot WORSE in person. It's even weirder and bulkier in the flesh. The view of the bike as you approach it from the left rear, with the batwing tank and huge final drive is almost cruiser like.

Just my opinion, but this is one of the ugliest motorcycles I've ever seen. If I had to identify the two changes that would have made it a strong seller, it would be: 1) Selling it as a ST1200F rather than a VFR (with a ST-sized tank); and 2) top to bottom restyle.

- Mark
What's wrong with being inspired by nature? They've already done the Hawk thing.
I don't see the bat thing. To me it resembles the K1200RS.
I suppose they could have made a smaller final drive like the BMW.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #41
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
What's wrong with being inspired by nature? They've already done the Hawk thing.
I don't see the bat thing. To me it resembles the K1200RS.
I suppose they could have made a smaller final drive like the BMW.
I'd put it this way - if you like the looks of the Victory Vision, then you'll probably like the VFR.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #42
cascadetiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Its ugly. Too expensive, too complex. Most of all- souless.
cascadetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #43
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascadetiger View Post
Its ugly. Too expensive, too complex. Most of all- souless.
I can recall reading almost the exact same quote with regards to the '94 and '98 when they were first released....especially the "soulless" part. Anyone who has owned one of those VFRs and put serious distance on them knows that this is not the case.
High_Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #44
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
I agree with previous posters. The "conventional" sports tourers like the VFR are great bikes - but their day is over. Triumph has ceased production of the Sprint, the VFR has been a sales flop, and other than big block beasts like the 'busa and the soon to be updated ZX14, there is little choice left.
This isn't entirely true, Triumph didn't axe the Sprint, the stopped making the ST, the GT is essentially an ST with a longer swingarm, a revised subframe, bigger bags and a low mount exhaust.

I'm fairly sure the ST and GT share the same frame, but other than that its still a Sprint, the ST went the way of the Sprint RS...it was updated out.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:23 AM   #45
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,199
I cannot comment on GS as I simply do not like them...but to give you a bit of prospective on European side...
I do not know what sales figures say, but I rarely see easily available vfr1200 on road. In fact I only saw 2 so far.
I test rode it. Earlier I test rode 1400 Kwak (who says there is nothing from Kawasaki???). Before that my colleague bought K1300 and I tried that. FJRs tried once, did not like it (but that's my problems with Yamaha ergos I guess).
One of most important characteristics of popular bike over here is how it behaves in twisties, in dense traffic with starts-stops and of course mpg (95 now scoring 1.6 Euro per liter here!!!).
Handling of VFR - one of worst points in my opinion. I found it squishy, bad feedback and not lively enough. May be it's to do with weight. Do not know.
Second would be motor. It felt bad at low rpms for such serious displacement. Which have effect on riding in twisty stuff (thou it was not that twisty - just couple of roads between Flemish and French parts of Belgium).
And tank is too small. Add to it local factors - price and fact that Honda went half-a...ed about it and did not create localized SKU for Belgium, so we have same like french - limited to 100 bhp stock. Fortunately dealer already put powercommander on his test bike, so I did not had to ride castrated version.

There is plenty of choice in this segment - on both 2nd hand and new market. This is tough spot to get and Honda I think messed it up a bit.
Of course local market specifics also important. Such as - 120-130 kmph limits, speed cameras, etc.
In Europe guys mostly go for bikes that can be lot of fun at lower speeds and in twisty stuff. So - other sport tourers are not great sellers too...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote