Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #46
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,082
Thumb

....impressive job on the polishing.
I appreciate a mate who uses old fashioned elbow grease.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #47
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,792
Have seen bad tranny bearings, bad U-joints, and broken output shafts do that to tranny covers.

I don't recommend people using screws to get RMS's out for two reasons. The first is that I have seen too many cases permanently F'ed up for people letting the drill bit get out of hand one way or the other. The second reason is that it is way easier and way faster to pull the seal out using a common seal puller like you can get at Kragen's or Sears. They work like a charm and, when push comes to shove with a real stuck seal, they work better.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #48
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

Oddometer: 288
SS, I bow to your reasoning about the rear main removal, but unfortunately I live in Italy. The closest Sears is many thousands of miles away and things are not easy to get here. So I do with what I have. I encourage others to use a seal puller, but at least for me, the drill, screw, and remove method worked very well and used the tools I have on hand.

Break Break

I received my rub n buff silver, and tried it on the final drive. Wow, it is a paint with some wax in it. The final drive almost looks too good. Artificially good. The jury is still out. As usual, I will post pics.

For the military guys out there: I ran my PRT this morning. For the first time ever, I maxed out every category. Just turned 30 years old, yet ran my fastest mile and half ever. 9:20. Motorcycle work must be good for fitness!!
I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.
xavier296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #49
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier296 View Post
I received my rub n buff silver, and tried it on the final drive. Wow, it is a paint with some wax in it. The final drive almost looks too good. Artificially good. The jury is still out. As usual, I will post pics.
Unless you're careful, it's easy to use too much. Less is best with rub n' buff I think.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #50
Bluffskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier296 View Post
For the military guys out there: I ran my PRT this morning. For the first time ever, I maxed out every category. Just turned 30 years old, yet ran my fastest mile and half ever. 9:20. Motorcycle work must be good for fitness!!
I ran my fastest PRT times as I approached 30. Its funny I lost 30 pounds once I got out, but I just sat around all day as a controller and eat Whataburger. I think it was a nice change to leave the Navy even at 9 years and 51 weeks. The HM's (Here's Motrin) forgot, or didn't update my medical record either.

You should go to Diego Garcia, very nice, that was my last tour. Somebich detailer tried to send me IA for my last year in. Homie don't think so. hahaha, I enjoyed my time in the service.
Bluffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #51
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

Get pics up to date

So, you may remember my incredibly nasty bellhousing:

I wanted to show how the breather hose was positioned. The PO had removed the T and two rubber pieces that go into the airboxes since he went to pods. This left the breather outlet pointed at the end of the starter. If this wasn't the major source of the oil, I am sure it helped contribute:

There was also a random piece of tubing inside the line. It was just stuck in there. Removed: Curious.

And I mentioned earlier that I tried out some silver rub n buff on the final drive.
After cleaning and polishing with metal polish:

After rub n buff:

The difference looks much more dramatic than the pics show.

Teaser: I received my used R90S fuel tank today, and my new chrome fuel cap should show up next week.

Serious question: I have had a couple ideas about putting a stock type seat back on the bike (R100S), putting the battery in the stock location, and moving away from the cafe look. I am not talking restoration, just a little more toward stock. I am not sold on it yet, not even close. Thoughts and opinions?
I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.

xavier296 screwed with this post 10-21-2011 at 02:19 PM
Old 11-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #52
Bluffskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I like that gas tank, it's like a disease and just grew on me and will pursue one for my build. I saw somewhere on this post someone identified it but cannot seem to find it again.

Did you ever remove the swingarm bearings? I have to remove mine too and was wondering if you had any pointers.
Bluffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #53
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

The fuel tank is a Terry Baker, made in the UK. I love way it looks, but don't like the way it fits. It has no good way to mount to the BMW frame. If I were a good welder, or lived near HOUSEOFFUBAR, I would have him add some stock type pieces to it, like the brackets in the front of the tank that go over the frame rubber and a piece of flat stock in the back with two holes for the mounting rubbers, but I don't think it is meant to be here in Italy. I bought an R90S tank from the UK, and it looks and fits beautifully on there. I haven't decided if I will sell the Terry Baker or not, but it is most likely for a Norton or Triumph but doesn't match the pics from their website. It is in my stack of unused parts that may or may not get sold, like the CC products fork brace for 70s airheads. It was on my bike, but didn't fit well on the later 81-84 forks.

I received a replacement 5 speed end plate today, and ordered a set of transmission shims a few days ago, so I am working on getting things back together again. I was going to remove the cylinders and start replacing seals (and the dreaded pushrod tube replacement with SS ones), but figured out while researching all the steps that I was missing the o-rings for the cylinder studs. They are ordered, and more waiting ensues. I can get parts here from the Italian BMW dealers, but usually at 1.5 times the cost and almost the same waiting time. No one carries ANYTHING in stock. They didn't even have any old style bosch fuses in stock.

I am at that frustrating part of the build where I am just waiting. I go into the garage and can't figure out what to do next. I want to put all the new parts together and make sure they work mechanically before I take everything completely apart for paint and powdercoating.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #54
MotoRover
Yarr

Oddometer: 70
Awesome to see your work and the shiny results! Like the bike with fairing and as naked in the first pictures.

Keep up the good work and provide this candy for saterdaymornings
Old 11-16-2011, 04:26 AM   #55
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

Powdercoating begins

I spent a couple hours with a file and 80 grit working on the subframe last weekend. The PO had removed many of the small brackets but had left the parts actually welded, so I ground them down, removed pieces, and then filed and sanded it all smooth. I also final welded the extra brackets I installed to hold the battery under the cowl. This was in preperation for dropping everything that is going to be black at the powdercoater. This included the swingarm, fender bracket, battery box, rear subframe, and a few other brackets. They will powdered black, then clear coated to ensure durability. Pix to follow when they show up.

I am well into replacing every seal in the final drive. It was surprisingly easy to get the crown wheel setup off. The only tedious part was cleaning all the old gasket off. So, both left hand cover seals/gaskets are replaced. I also found the input nut loose (as discussed in airheadmotorcycletech) and the plastic washer was destroyed. I have the tool to remove the threaded ring, but no 41 mm socket, so I ordered one on amazon. More waiting, but when all is said and done the final drive will have all fresh seals.

She looks even sadder now without any rear section parts!

xavier296 screwed with this post 11-16-2011 at 12:10 PM Reason: Added pictures
Old 11-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #56
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Cool2 Tink's R100 PROJECT Bike

xavier296,

Nice work in the shiny crumpet project.
I too have a R100 I'm working on... sort of... project has been stalled recently :-(
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684054

TINK
photosbytink.com
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #57
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,082
Wink picsposted

...methinks Xav is holding out on us...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #58
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

Complete disassembly

Well, still haven't picked up the first batch of powdercoated items (I was home for thanksgiving), but today I completely disassembled the bike down to the frame. I guess I was bored.

It was super easy, but to be fair, the rear subframe, wheel, swingarm, final drive, etc, were already gone. It took me about an hour to get to this point:

I had lots of help:

During last week, I removed the center stand to get it ready for powdercoat. As expected, it was pretty hosed wherever it touched the ground.

That was the better side. The pic of the other side didn't come out, but there was a sizeable hole. I spent a lot of time with my MIG welder and a grinder and a file . It isn't perfect, but there is more metal there now. I was amazed at how thin the original metal was.

I also replaced the push down rod that had broken off. I really looked for a better used center stand, but they all seem pretty bad and a new one costs 200 bones. So this one is fixed for now. I will not be braking off this new arm. I tried to bend it some to make a better shape, but no amount of heat would budge it. I guess old drop forged wrenches were just built better.

So, lots of parts now for the powder coater. Some black, the rest dark blue. The lower triple is going to be polished along with the fork lowers. I only need to decide what color to have the calipers done, blue or black. And I have to straighten the center stand pivots. I tried some with a large locking adjustable wrench and it didn't seem to move at all. I have seen the tool made by some to do this job with no heat. Did you beat it or just use arm strength?

I also need to straighten one of the exhaust mounts. It has definitely been crashed and bent. Fun.

xavier296 screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 03:39 PM
Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #59
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

Picked up parts and dropped more off

A few days ago, I picked up my first batch of powdercoated items. This is the first lot of black items, and includes the swingarm, subframe, battery box, fender brace, some rear brake brackets, etc. Some of them came out looking amazing, like the swingarm, and other items came out looking pretty rough. It is obvious that the battery box was pretty corroded, and sandblasting stripped alot of metal off in the form of rust. Thankfully, it won't be seen on the bike and should never rust again.

I went by the shop today to drop off the frame and wheels, and they had already done the other batch of black too. I didn't pick them up, but now the center stand, side stand, headlight ears, brake rotor carriers, and a few other items are black and beautiful. The brake rotor carriers look really good. They are zincing some of the bolts that I am not replacing, and will then get to powdering the frame and wheels. They are also helping me out by dropping off the fork lowers at the polisher to be shined up. I am supposed to get everything back next friday!! That gives me lots to do over the christmas holidays.

I should have taken more pictures.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #60
xavier296 OP
Alaska n'Back

Frame

Also, I got the center stand mounts all straightened up with a long adjustable and a 3 foot long bar. It didn't take much force with that method. Then I drilled them out to 1/2" in order to accept the wirewrkr fix.

Off to dinner. Have a good night!