User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #61
Mastheadmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Wow!

Might have to make a trip back to Italy to see this when she's all put back together!!!! Looking great!

Everything else is secondary to manual transmissions, automatic watches and beautiful women showing off both
Mastheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #62
xavier296 OP
Alaska Planner

Oddometer: 284
Not holding out of you, but I had an extra picture from pre-teardown days with the wife. The Beemer will never look like that again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...methinks Xav is holding out on us...

I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.
xavier296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #63
xavier296 OP
Alaska Planner

Engine work

So today I did some soda blasting:

It was my intention to just clean up the block itself, and found that while the soda blasting doesn't make the block "perfect," it does make a huge improvement and also helps get rid of the problem that my hands get dirty when I even look at the engine. Ohh, shiny:

It did not, however, magically make my hacked up charging system look any better. The stator is rough, while I was surprised to find the rotor looks new.

I also removed the cylinders. They are being looked at, along with the heads/valves, by a local shop.

There isn't going to be anything about this bike that I haven't had my fingers in. Should make maintenance tasks easier later!
I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #64
xavier296 OP
Alaska Planner

Powdercoat!

I returned home from a week in Croatia yesterday, so I ventured over to the powdercoat shop. The powdercoating shop is a full service facility, really set up for large industrial grade jobs vice the small jobs I have been sending them. They have a huge blast area, a full size wet painting area, a 6 meter long oven, and tanks for zinc plating. The owner is nice enough to do little jobs for motorcyclists, as he is an avid Harley Davidson rider. Like many HD guys, he is trying to sell his sportster because he recently picked up a street glide.

I decided on blue for many of the major parts of the motorcycle, to be exact, the frame, wheels, and valve covers. The blue powdercoat came out better than any of the black parts. The black looks pretty good, but many of the parts I gave him weren't in great shape, and the blasting required for powdercoat didn't do some of them any favors. I would like to say I am super meticulous, and unable to go on without making everything perfect, but I am just not that guy. I am VERY sincerely jealous of the threads I see here where every piece, nut, bolt, washer, etc, are perfect, and exactly original, but for this build, I am just not on that path. To give an example, the Honda 50 build thread makes me drrrooolll.

So, I'll stop rambling, and get to the pics. The blue parts of the powder rack. This rack FITS in his oven.

Rear wheel.

Valve covers. These are super smooth. I was apprehensive about coloring them, but I really love the way they look.

Polished front forks. These are not the original style fork ends. This is the later 81-84 style, and originally came painted black. I assume the PO installed these in order to use the Brembo brake setup. The bike also has the handlebar mounted master cylinder. Forks 3 months ago:

I still need to install the new reflectors, but here they are today:

Frame:

Old 12-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #65
xavier296 OP
Alaska Planner

A couple more items

I also had a few of the bolts zinc coated. Some of them have been normally coated, but other were done with black zinc, which came out looking very trick.

My friend Ciro took me over to his mechanic, and they checked out the cylinder bores, piston rings, valves, and valve guides. There was some good news and some bad. Two of the 4 valves are pitted along the stem, and 2 of the valve guides require replacement. The bores looks good, as do the pistons, but the rings need replacement. Another day and another dollar.

The mechanic's shop had some nice eye candy to take a look at, including 3 of Ciro's bikes. Two Benelli Tornado 650s, series 1, one 85% restored, the other just a frame and engine with no heads. He has plans to ride them to the UK after they are done. He has a heck of a time finding parts, including a new exhaust system, and remarked that the bikes have a reputation of shaking themselves to death.

His newest restoration project is a Norton Commando, and it was all the way down to the frame. I am looking forward to it's restoration.

The shop also had some other interesting bikes of various origins.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #66
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
I love that shade of blue, Looking good!!!
I think it will look like too much blue, when it's a roller, but when the motor, and body are on, it will look great!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #67
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 227
It's way too late, but another great seal puller is a paint can opener, although i don't know what they look like in Italy. I'm thinking of the good old (Made in China) American ones that are 3/buck or whatever here.

The tank looks like a Moto Guzzi fit. If you want to sell it, put it on wildguzzi forum classifieds.

Looks good, you're doing it right the first time. :^)
SpeedyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #68
xavier296 OP
Alaska Planner

Slowly coming together

Started off the work today by installing wirewrkr's center stand repair parts. I drilled out the mounts to 1/2" before I sent the frame off to the powder coater, so just had to chase them alittle to ensure a good fit. It is super easy to install the inserts with the frame upside down and empty. Just use the included bushing and pull them into the frame.

Before I install the swingarm and rear end, I cleaned and polished and worked every part of the rear brakes. I painted the master cylinder, replaced the reservoir hose, and changed every bolt out. Pics are bad, but the setup looks very nice to me.

I installed the subframe and one shock in preparation for installing the swingarm. This part of reassembly is the most fun. Things come together quickly and you are not yet fighting with every little quirk trying to make it run perfectly. I will savor it as much as possible.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #69
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
I have been watching you since the beginning. I have never needed to do a complete Airhead. A new R90/6 in 76 was good to go for 65k and 15 years with nothing like need of resto. My current 79 RS was 14k original when I got it 3 years ago. Just needed some maintenance and adjustments and a few enhancements for my wants and needs, no teardown to the frame type deal at all.

I did do a complete on a 67 Porsche 912 with 53k when I got it back in the 80's. 20 years later when I sold it, it was good to go another 20 years if cared for like I did.

It will be yours when your are done. Very nice work so far and interested in seeing it completed and ready for miles by next spring.
DoktorT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #70
xavier296 OP
Alaska Planner

Questions.

Doktor, Thank you for the kind words. I look forward to getting some miles on this girl when the time comes. I knew this would be a project bike, and I just have to hope that the juice is worth the squeeze.

SOOO, two questions for airhead people:

1. Which way out do I install these plastic pieces over the center tube inside the wheels between the wheel bearing? There are two per wheel and came over the tube, but I didn't note their orientation.

2. My repaint and redo of the rear master cylinder went horribly wrong, as it leaks pretty badly from the front of the piston. I have ordered a rebuild kit. How do you get the piston out?? This is a pre-80 rear cylinder.

Needless to say, new paint and leaky brake fluid makes for sticky ugliness.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #71
xavier296 OP
Alaska Planner

Not getting better

Still have no idea how to install the inside tube and plastic collars. I can't seem to get it together at all actually.

I keep searching, but can't find the correct info. Reinstall might require removing one of the races entirely. Has anyone completely removed then reinstalled the setup on a 79 or later(non sealed bearing) bearing stack????
Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #72
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,942
That bike is gonna look marvelous. Now that you have it mostly de-grunged the real joy comes.
Have you checked out the MAXBMW fische?
I actually don't see that plastic bit. Probably a grease retainer of some sort. I can't recall that part on my wheels.
Oh wait, here it is. Looks to be #6. Appears to be short side goes inboard on one side and maybe opposite the other side (short side goes outboard).
Just a guesstimate.

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #73
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,001
All those plastic bushing do is keep the tube centered while the axle is out and/or you are installing bearings. The ridges to the outside would keep it centered best.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #74
xavier296 OP
Alaska Planner

Thanks for the help guys. I had looked at the maxbmw fiche about 10 times and finally decided it just isn't drawn well. I made the executive decision that they both orient with the long side to the outside. I realized that they just hold the center tube and think I have it all together. I am about to go install the bearings into the wheels.

Thank you!
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #75
xavier296 OP
Alaska Planner

Front end and wheels

Today I installed the wheel bearings and seals, then headed over to the motorcycle tire shop. It is an amazing shop, with good selection, a clean work area, and great knowledge. They charged me 40 euros total for removing tires from wheels, installing them back on after they were painted, one new tube, balancing, and they even found a couple blue valve caps to match the wheels. Couldn't have been better.

I also received a nice package of stainless bolts today from Northeast cycle works:

The stainless was perfect timing, as it allowed me to change over a few bolts and then push through to get the front end on. First I installed the rotors on to the wheels. The inner section of each rotor needed to be sanding down to thin out the powdercoat. The new stainless rear rotor bolts were also much longer than the original ones, so I reused the originals. They had been zinc coated anyway, so they should give me good service.

Results of the day: