Oddometer: 191
Very sexy. How was the conversion done?
BOA #166285
BluWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
It looks great, but I can't help but think that space would be better served with a tool tube or fake exhaust like the 650 Dakar had. Are the benefits of dual exhaust (besides looking sexy) that good?
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
nice build, looks really well thought out - but... seems the extra weight isn't getting you much but negative performance via weight.
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Cool! Is this a one off?

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH View Post
Cool! Is this a one off?

um yeah I think so
Old 10-11-2011, 01:16 AM   #7
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
That's a beautiful bike, it really is. But I can't help but think he'd have saved time and money by getting one of these instead:

Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,341
why?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Lounge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by themattreid View Post
nice build, looks really well thought out - but... seems the extra weight isn't getting you much but negative performance via weight.
You really think that exhaust, as opposed to the stock exhaust, weighs more??? Furthermore, the gains in HP, I would venture a guess negate any 'weight gain' those small cans and another 2 feet of titanium pipe (assuming) add.

It's cool - period.

I'm kind of tired of everyone dissing people's mods just because it doesn't make sense to them - chill the fuck out people... red rims!?!?

[ / end rant ]
Old 10-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge View Post
You really think that exhaust, as opposed to the stock exhaust, weighs more??? Furthermore, the gains in HP, I would venture a guess negate any 'weight gain' those small cans and another 2 feet of titanium pipe (assuming) add.

It's cool - period.

I'm kind of tired of everyone dissing people's mods just because it doesn't make sense to them - chill the fuck out people... red rims!?!?

[ / end rant ]
practical, sensible, feasible, reliable, realistic are all good things........

but don't give you the badass "harley style" mentality..... if it looks cool who cares!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:

It's cool - period.

[ / end rant ]
Well, I'd go ahead and disagree with you. I just put arrow headers and a ti leovince pipe on my F8 and I can certainly say that the weight of an extra pipe (even another ti pipe) would add weight. Pretty simple; more weight = less performance.

Sure it looks cool but if it's really being setup for offroad performance then extra weight is not a good thing. A good example is the 2006+ CRF250R that came with dual pipes and lots of racers changed it back to a single pipe when running after market exhaust because more weight = slower and worse handling.

RE: people discussing what they don't like - positive and negative feedback is exactly what a forum is about. If you post up pics of your ride be prepared for people to weigh in on their viewpoint from their experience. If you want every comment to be happy fun positive circlejerking then you might want to go elsewhere.

Personally I think the dual pipes are a waste of money and weight, but I guess I'm just too pragmatic for buying shit solely because it looks cool. If it looks cool it must also work well and make practical sense. Form over Fashion please.

EDIT: as for the KTM 950SE; I had one of those bikes and I converted it over to a single leo vince with Berg Briggs' help (he made a 2->1 collector) and the weight savings was very good over not only the stock but also over dual ti leos. Dual Pipes SUCK! .... as for comparison sake, the F8 has a lot of positives over the 950SE. 1) larger fuel capacity (950SE gets 120 miles per tank max and it severely limits ride options), 2) easier to control off road due to lower center of gravity and lower overall weight, 3) on and on and on... F8 is a better all around bike and unless you're a hulking 6'6" austrian then the F8 is a better bike off road for most riders.

señormoto screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 04:02 PM
Old 10-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
Lounge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by themattreid View Post
Well, I'd go ahead and disagree with you. I just put arrow headers and a ti leovince pipe on my F8 and I can certainly say that the weight of an extra pipe (even another ti pipe) would add weight. Pretty simple; more weight = less performance.

Sure it looks cool but if it's really being setup for offroad performance then extra weight is not a good thing. A good example is the 2006+ CRF250R that came with dual pipes and lots of racers changed it back to a single pipe when running after market exhaust because more weight = slower and worse handling.

RE: people discussing what they don't like - positive and negative feedback is exactly what a forum is about. If you post up pics of your ride be prepared for people to weigh in on their viewpoint from their experience. If you want every comment to be happy fun positive circlejerking then you might want to go elsewhere.

Personally I think the dual pipes are a waste of money and weight, but I guess I'm just too pragmatic for buying shit solely because it looks cool. If it looks cool it must also work well and make practical sense. Form over Fashion please.

EDIT: as for the KTM 950SE; I had one of those bikes and I converted it over to a single leo vince with Berg Briggs' help (he made a 2->1 collector) and the weight savings was very good over not only the stock but also over dual ti leos. Dual Pipes SUCK! .... as for comparison sake, the F8 has a lot of positives over the 950SE. 1) larger fuel capacity (950SE gets 120 miles per tank max and it severely limits ride options), 2) easier to control off road due to lower center of gravity and lower overall weight, 3) on and on and on... F8 is a better all around bike and unless you're a hulking 6'6" austrian then the F8 is a better bike off road for most riders.
So adding a BDS blower (~ 40 lbs) to a 350 small block amounts to a decrease in performance because it adds weight??? Sure, apples and oranges but that's the basis of your argument.

That's it... I'm adding a sattelite dish to my bike.

How about billet pegs - they weigh significantly more than my stock pegs - enhance performance? Hell no - stronger, and more sturdy, absolutely.

Lounge screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 11:27 PM
Lounge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
So adding a BDS blower (~ 40 lbs) to a 350 small block amounts to a decrease in performance because it adds weight??? Sure, apples and oranges but that's the basis of your argument.

How about billet pegs - they weigh significantly more than my stock pegs - enhance performance? Hell no - stronger, and more sturdy, absolutely.
I think what everybody is trying to get at is that for this particular engine size, the stock single exhaust with an aftermarket can is about as efficient as you can get. It will flow more than the engine can put out in its "normal"-"slightly modded" configuration.

Is 1 lighter than 2? Definitely

Will 2 produce more power to make up for the added weight?? Lets see some dyno results and then we can put this to sleep.

Does it look totally BA?

Of course!!

Ryan
Old 10-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,657
I like the center red inlay in the seat. I am looking at modifying my Comfort seat (for more comfort). If it involves sewing a new cover, I will look at doing the same type 2 tone with red. Since my bike is a 30th year anniversary bike, it will look good.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:

Um, a blower increases HP. A second pipe and can adds nothing. These engines are not big enough to have a HP or torque benefit to dual exhaust, they just don't flow enough to require it. So, yeah... adding weight with an extra pipe and can will give absolutely zero gains over a single aftermarket header+can.

Put a blower on the F8, then you can talk about increased weight adding performance.