Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,831
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #19
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Oddometer: 651
As I swung my sweaty bollocks over the saddle and settled in to my home from home I was in a bit of a conundrum. Where to now? I had fulfilled what I set out to do.
I looked at the map in my tank bag and decided to keep on hugging the coast.
I saw the name Baltimore on the south coast and it seemed like a likely spot for a young man to head down to of a blowy Wednesday afternoon.

With the wind thankfully on my back I cruised along admiring the countryside and was soon nearing Baltimore.

Brief history lesson what I done learned off of that fit bird on the telly programme Coast. During the 1600's Baltimore was subject to a pirate raid one night and a large percentage of the population were abducted by slave traders and spent the rest of their lives living and working as slaves on the Ivory Coast. But they were all English Planters, so fuck 'em.

Anyways, The roads were very narrow and bumpy and squirreled their way past some tidal inlets. I spied a nice looking B&B a half mile or so from the village and set up camp in what was most probably the most picturesque guest house I have ever seen.

It was situated above the wee road, looking over a small bay and beyond that the expanse of Roaring water Bay. The view included a ruined chapel, a few old houses and a ship wreck.

Whilst I was outside the B&B a CIE coach pulled up and an old couple got off with a load of suitcases. They came up the drive and the landlady, who was out talking to me welcomed them. They were an American couple touring about. I thought it must be an awful handicap to your holiday having to rely on public transport in Ireland for your holiday but they seemed happy enough.

I was left to my own devices. As usual, as I was out having a shmoke, looking out over the pleasant scene I got to talking to the old Golden Labrador of th house. A big, limping. pleasant chap. It seemed that all he wanted was a rough ear scratch and some undivided attention for ten minutes. we passed an amicabable few minutes in the afternoon sun and then i had to go inside. mainly to wash my hands. he was a smelly old bastard.

To say that Baltimore was quiet would be like saying the Titanic sprung a leak. It seems to be a small fishing type village. I'm sure that it the hieght of summer it's a jumping wee spot but on a late september evening there wasn't a whole lot happening. Which suited me.
I had a big feeling of being at the bottom of Ireland. I found a cafe that was open and got a rather nice fresh pizza. Scoff gobbled I took a stroll down onto the piers. There were a few diving school type things set up and sea tours. They were all closed at this time of the evening. It didn't bother me because as the years go by I seem to be more of a land Lubber.

Anywys, belly full and walk walked, I heade back to the B&B and made a cup of tea and me and Smelly, the wonder dog sat outside and had a smoke and looked out to sea.
I tried not think about going back to work next week. Smelly seemed to be thinking about licking his arsehole. Which he did. A lot.

Tomorrow was Thursday and I wanted, needed to be home by Friday evening, so basically tomorrow I would be turning for home and slowly making my back.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #20
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Thursday dawned bright and warm. It was an absolute novelty not to have a fucking gale blowing me about.

Over breakfast I got chatting to the Bus couple. They were from Baltimore America and on a whim, with a week and a half off work they decided to grab a cheap flight and come over. They were staying in a hotel in Dublin and this was a one day excursion over to see Baltimore Ireland.

When I got my bags packed and bowels empty I took a wee spin down to the village to see it in daylight. Seems lovely. I will definitely have to come back this way.

I realised that yesterday I had wanted to get a wee souvenir from Mizen Head visitors center to prove I was there. In all my sweaty warmth I forgot to get something. SO I decided to head back that way, grab something small and then start to make my way back to Galway or somewhere near.

The day was lovely and I felt great.

It didn't take long to get there and with little note book and matching pen safely stowed in back pack I headed North.

I didn't think that I could waste a full day completely retracing my steps from the previous days but given the time it would have been worth it. So I decided that for the first half of the gay I would stick to main roads and try to get up the country as far as I could.

Man, was I glad I did.

Fate found me on the N71 to Killarney. Fuck me sideways on a buckrake but this is some road.

I can't remember being on this road ever before. It's the nearest thing to an Alpine road that I can think of. There's climbs, curves, views and just general awesomeness. It travels through the Killarney National Park and is probably the best road in Ireland, in my humble opinion.

I took my time on it and stopped for a few pics and smokes and general bathing in the whole trip Maaaaan.

I had stopped that many times during the day that I found myself well short of my goal of Galway as 5 in the evening came around.

I looked at the map and decided that I would make my way to a place called Lisdoonvarna. me and Rosie had been down a couple of times. it's a nice enough place and is in the heartland of The Burren. A bleak limestone area that is another national park. A lot of Father Ted was filmed around here because it's so fucking desolate.

Lisdoonvarna is semi famous in Ireland for some of the festivals that took place in it in the past. And sure as God made little green apples, there was one on this evening.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
Digger Deep
Keep 'er Lit

Oddometer: 203
Your style of writing, the language, the photos and the content make me homesick as hell.

Keep er lit mate.
Digger Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #22
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Come on back, there's plenty of room seeing as everyone has fucked off to Oz...
Old 11-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #23
ChubbyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Another good read and inspiration for places to see.

Cheers Frey

ChubbyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #24
davidgibson999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
great report.
davidgibson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #25
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,956
NIce!
pelvis_98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #26
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Bentos View Post

Great pics. Ladies View, Kilarney National Park? The road through there is amazing, some great views. A shot from when I was over your way.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:54 AM   #27
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

That's the place chap! You're right about the road. It's the nearest thing i have ridden on to an Alpine road. Absolutely stunning. When were you over?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #28
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That's the place chap! You're right about the road. It's the nearest thing i have ridden on to an Alpine road. Absolutely stunning. When were you over?
I was there for 12 days in 2002, and another 12 days in 2010. Had a great time exploring around.
We started in Dublin and stayed our first night on Lough Arrow at hostel near Boyle. then hit Castle Bar Clifden, Galway, Tralee, Kilarney, Dingle, Spent the night on The great Blasket Island camping on the beach. Then made our way over to Kinsale, Rock of Cashel, and worked our way back to Dublin for two days. Ireland is a beautiful country.

jnorton1 screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 07:51 AM
jnorton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #29
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Sounds like a full holiday. I would love to wild camp somewhere like you did.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #30
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like a full holiday. I would love to wild camp somewhere like you did.
Camping on the Blasket Island was downright the best thing about the trip. We took a small ferry over around 3 o'clock. When we got to the island a few people already there boarded the boat as we got off. We had the whole island to ourselves. it was pretty surreal experience. We hiked around and the sea otters followed us as we worked our way around the coast. Definitely something I won't forget.

Sorry for the hijack. Your pics brought back a lot of fond memories. Thanks for sharing.