Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #31
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Oddometer: 597
No worries about the hi jack. It's nice to hear other people hqving a good time in ireland.
Frey Bentos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #32
Digger Deep
Keep 'er Lit

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorton1 View Post
Great pics. Ladies View, Kilarney National Park? The road through there is amazing, some great views. A shot from when I was over your way.

You should come to Ireland more often...........looks like you brought some decent weather with ye.
Digger Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #33
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Awesome RR! Kerry and Kilarney are great areas - I plan to be back there someday :)

It was snowing the last time I drove through there - almost a year ago!

Cheers
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #34
gsxkev
Part time Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Great writing style, made me laugh out loud.
gsxkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #35
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Great stuff and very funny. I seem to remember Frey Bentos came in a can.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #36
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

^^^Among other things...........
Old 11-18-2011, 02:40 AM   #37
Aidan1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Great report FB, there's nowhere quite like our own wee sod, especially down in that southwest corner.

From Sea to Shining Sea. A four week US coast to coast ride in June/July 2010. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=shining

Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence.
Aidan1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #38
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

The B&B was only a short walk into town so I donned me headphones, cranked up some Rastabilly Skag and mooched on in. It wasn't even the weekend and the joint was jumping.
This was obviously the place to be. If you were over 60 that is. Holy zimmer frame Batman, it was like a scene from The Walking Dead.

There were pubs with live music on all over the place and people were out milling around and dancing on the street and generally having a good time.

I found a Chinese restaurant and had a mediocre meal, then went outside with my headphones on to drown out the God awful 'music'.

If there is a more hateful genre of music than Irish country and western I have yet to hear it. It really is a load of dreadful shite. I found a place to sit where I wasn't being deafened by the various P.A's and with roll up in hand settled in for a bit of people watching. And then was struck with the awful thought that it was quite possible that someone I knew could be down this way for this thing and decided to get out of there before I was spotted. My street cred would take a nose dive if I was seen in Lisdoonvarna for the matchmaking festival....

I walked back to the B&B, glad to get away from the dross music. I had mixed emotions. I was looking forward to seeing Rosie and let her know that my mood was a much lighter thing but I was only starting to get into the road trip, truth be told.

Oh well, tomorrow was still another fullish day on the bike and the weather looked to be holding up.

I awoke the next morning to the unmistakable smell of someone cremating bacon and sausages.

I had a shower and got me arse downstairs for a breakfast that was remarkable only in the fact that the landlady thought it was of an acceptable standard to give it to a paying guest.
This was the most expensive B&B of the rip at 50 Euro for the night. The others had all been around the 30 to 35 for the previous nights. Oh well, I suppose that this wee town is a busy spot and during the festival season they charge what they want and fuck the quality.
I chalked it up to one of life's lessons and ate what I could.
The breakfast sort of eased the guilt of the birthmark on my arse coming off onto one of the white towels after me shower......

Sunny blue skies greeted me as I got the boxes back on the bike. I stopped at a shop and bought some indigestion tablets because the breakfast was cutting the fucking stomach out of me.

The roads I was on were rather nice though and I pottered along enjoying the scenery.
Resized to 69% (was 1024 x 681) - Click image to enlarge

This part of the road was awesome. As it was so early I had it mainly to myself. Until I doubled back to take a photograph and as I was snapping away a convoy of cars and a few vans trundled past, all stuck behind an old Austin Metro driven by Moses' sister, by the looks of her. Fuck me, she was doing less than 20mph.

I rolled a ciggy and waited ten more minutes and then set off in hot pursuit.

I eventually caught them after a mile or so and endured a few miles of torture being stuck behind on such a fantastic wee road. My luck changed when we came across a set of temporary traffic lights at some road works and I squeezed past all to get to the front. Green light and I was plumb gone.....

The pic i was taking before Miss roadblock screeched past.

Shortly after I decided that the time to stop dicking around and start making my way home was upon me. I set a course for Galway and after that Clifden on the west coast.

I reached it about dinner time and had a rather nice roast duck wrap with plumb sauce. and one of the last shmokes of me holiday.

From Clifden I hugged the coast up the N59 and R335 past luisberg and on to that tourist hot spot Westport.

I arrived home around 5 that evening. It had been a great few days away. My head was a lot better than it had been in a long time. Thank Christ for motorcycles.

This trip reminded me just how good Ireland is when the mood takes you. It also whetted my appetite for a longer road trip. Hopefully next year I can get across the channel and get me arse down to the Alps again.

keep your tongue out.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #39
Blagadán
Kevin

Oddometer: 168
Only catching up on this thread now.

Nice job FB, enjoyable ride report. Nice collection of words n pics!!

Lookin forward to your next report already!

Fair play horse.
Blagadán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #40
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 668
Ah, Corkscrew Hill.

It nearly killed me when I was 18 on my Suzuki RGR 250. Reason being I was 18 and on a 2 smoke road bike.

It nearly killed me at 24 when I got a lift in my mates truck and he rolled her on one of the bends (16 wheeler).

And it nearly killed me in late December of 2009 when it was-15c and I was doing a timed run in a slammed Mk2 Golf with a 250hp tuned MK4 GTI engine in it.

Good thing I moved half the world away

Nice trip. I'd forgotten how green stuff gets.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #41
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Thanks peeps.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #42
SteveTheLocal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thanks. I enjoyed your ride vicariously. Thinking of shipping to Ireland to start off a tour of Europe.
Cheers.
SteveTheLocal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #43
F1johny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Awesome!
F1johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #44
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Glad you enjoyed it. @Steve. That's an idea full of awesome. A quick trip around ireland, nip over to wales and up to the west coast of Scotland and around the top. And then onto destinations further. It would be great to have the time, money, wife that would allow me to fuck off for a few months.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #45
mjs3800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
The breakfast sort of eased the guilt of the birthmark on my arse coming off onto one

You crack me up. I have half Irish blood in me and hope to make it there someday... bucketlist thing ya know.
mjs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote