User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #31
blacktiger OP
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,569
16th Gap to Auxerre.
Woke at 08:00, got up and got dressed ready to go. Heated jacket liner on today because it was going to be cold early on. Bought 3 pain de chocolates just down the road. Then off into the 7C heat! Beautiful sunny morning though and was soon wiggling my way through the mountains and looking back down at Gap....

Routed over an interesting pass that I’d never ridden before, the Col de Pennes and you know? Some people go to exotic places to ride roads like this...

But here it is in France.
Some mist in the valleys...

As the pass dropped down the western side...

Then it was goodbye to the Alps and hello to the river Rhone and on past St. Etienne and up towards Roanne. I stopped for fuel and routed to a little town in the middle of the back of beyond that I’d been through a few times called Luzy. The roads all around there are really fun to ride and give the edges of the tyre a good work out. About 20 miles from Luzy I stopped to take a photo of an endless view...

When I went to create a waypoint of the Zumo with the photo number as its name, as I had done all round this trip, the Zumo froze up. Wouldn’t do anything. I rode on for a bit to see if it would wake up but no. I stopped to take the battery out which would shut it down but could I find the little Allen key? Nope! So there I am lost in the middle of France without a map or GPS. So, as I said, I have been through this area before a few times but my knowledge of it is not “back of the hand” stuff. I knew a few names of places and roughly where they are. So it was Luzy to Chateau-Chinon to Avallon to Auxerre. Actually, looking at it on the computer now it doesn’t look half bad and the roads were real fun so no photos I’m afraid.
Got to Auxerre around 18:00 and wanted to be on the north side so routed around the edges and found Les Hotel Clairions, 2 star, big place quite posh for a 2 star and €61.00. Free Wi-fi so getting this update done.
ODO 256.6 wrong because of the frozen Zumo.

blacktiger screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 11:54 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #32
blacktiger OP
Tigers R great.

17th Auxerre to Home.
Slept well until about 06:30 when someone in the next room started to fiddle with their toiletries. I gave up at 07:20 and got up and went for breakfast and packed a sarnie for lunch. Out into the foggy gloom at 07:55 only to find that the connecting cable for my heated jacket liner had gone missing somewhere. So no heat but it was about 8C first thing and I was well wrapped up anyway.
Couldn’t see much for the first 2&1/2 hours because of the fog by which time I was just about getting onto my favourite “avoid Paris” route around the north of said Paris. It’s a good mix of roads but mostly runs through and across farmland with good vision which can be ridden at a good lick.
ETA at Calais started at 14:39 but with a few pee stops and for the pre-packed sarnie that dropped back to 15:30. Last night, I had booked the 17:30 Sea France ferry and was hoping that there’d be an earlier one but alas no. I went into the terminal building and had a sandwich and coffee and wrote this journal whilst waiting.
Onto the ferry on time and a reasonably smooth crossing despite the wind getting stronger as we crossed. Greeted in Dover, as is quite usual, by a strong westerly and the threat of rain. Tried to keep my speed down on the way home and arrived at 19:30 to find the house was still there and a pile of mail on the door mat.
ODO 355.
TOTAL MILEAGE = 6326 MILES and the bike now needs another service.

Conclusion.
This trip is one that I’d been planning to do for quite a few years. It was to follow the Carpathian mountain range from CZ around into RO and Transilvania. I could never get anyone else interested enough to commit so I decided to just get on with it and go on my own. By careful placing of my annual leave I was able to get 24 days off work. So I decided to add Macedonia & Greece and a return through Italy to the trip. It covered 7 countries that were new to me. SK, PL, H, RO, BG, MK & GR.
The places and the people are, as ever, unique but at the same time all welcoming and willing to talk and accommodate you in your travels. A particular mention to the Bikers’ club in Baia Mare. Great bunch of lads and bought me beer all night. Can’t get better than that. I never usually like to go back to places again because there are always so many other places to visit around the world but I will return to some of these places again because you can never take it all in on a fleeting visit such as I’ve just done. Romania, Bulgaria and Macedonia all need a longer trip to explore the real back roads and the scenery, which is mostly why I go, and is worth the cost of fuel and time.
Haven’t really mentioned the Tiger800XC because it just got on with the job which, I suppose, is what you want. The aerodynamics that I have on the bike worked very well and the fuel consumption was pretty good, although I did take it quite sedately due to trying to make the rear Heidenau K60 Scout tyre last the distance and because of the condition of the roads. Turns out that there’s plenty of tread left and I would expect it to go another 2000 miles. Not bad for a 50/50 dual sport tyre. The engine is just superb and will pull from tickover to red line. Effortless is the word to describe it. Just dial in whatever speed you want and it’ll sit there doing it.
Was it the right bike for the job? Absolutely. Some of the roads I came across were really bad and some just turned to dirt at times. So an adventure touring bike with good suspension to soak it all up is essential. The Tiger800XC did just that. It is, IMO, THE best bike for this job on the planet at the moment. At touring speeds it has a genuine 200+ miles range, is comfortable for riding all day, albeit I used an AirHawk seat. Its ease of handling in every situation means that you don’t end the day aching or tired. It give me the confidence to go off the beaten track and into the unknown. Brilliant. Thanks Triumph for making the best bike on the planet.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #33
hummel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for a very detailed report.Good to hear your views on the tiger.As bikes go they are good value too.
hummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #34
blacktiger OP
Tigers R great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVLyZhi61pI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf1muBlY_Qc

blacktiger screwed with this post 10-18-2011 at 02:26 PM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #35
blacktiger OP
Tigers R great.

Seems that I've exceeded my monthly limit on Photobucket so they've kindly locked out all the links.
Photos can be viewed here http://www.facebook.com/hgmillichap?sk=photos
or here http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/p...EUROPE%202011/
Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #36
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Seems that I've exceeded my monthly limit on Photobucket so they've kindly locked out all the links.
Photos can be viewed here http://www.facebook.com/hgmillichap?sk=photos
or here http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/p...EUROPE%202011/
Takes away much of the magic, separating the images and the words, blacktiger. Any way you could spring for an unlimited Photobucket account? Few will collate your RR and images separately, I'd imagine, but--your call.

Regardless, thanks for sharing.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:54 AM   #37
blacktiger OP
Tigers R great.

OK I coughed up for a "Pro" account so we're back online.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #38
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 716
Great RR blacktiger

love the beer pics

Looks like your 800XC is as reliable as my 800 Roadie
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM   #39
dimitris_greece
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Nice road trip!

The trip was very nice, i liked the detailed informations.. I want to do some day such a long distance trip.. :-)
dimitris_greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #40
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,300
nice trip you had...much different riding than what we did up in Alaska...I sure wish I had more money and time.. so many beautiful places in the world to ride....I noticed you have the city tank bag...I used it on our trip...Cheryl had the Triumph ADV tank bag...much better for long trips...the city bag was too small for me at least for a 44 days ride. Love our bike but you know that....hope you get on with more adv on that Tiger of yours! Thanks for sharing!

soph9 screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 05:12 AM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #41
OmenF1
wannabe explorer

Oddometer: 69
thanks !

Superb RR and what a cool ride !

Tiger 800 is fabulous indeed, thanks for sharing !!

BR

Omen
OmenF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #42
blacktiger OP
Tigers R great.

Sardinia next.

I'm just about to leave, with a buddy (Explorer) for a 12 day trip to Sardinia to watch the WRC rally which will, most likely, be Sebastian Loeb's last ever gravel rally as he's heading to World Touring Cars next year.
Chunnel to France. Jura mountains, Swiss, Grand St.Bernard pass, Aosta. Ferry Genova to Porto Torres. 7 days on Sardinia. Ferry to Marseilles. Then 3 days winding up through France on the most enjoyable roads we can find.
Photos and video to come on the way if I can get Wi-fi.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #43
MikeTheMechanic
Tsiki?

Oddometer: 77
Great trip!

Written from the Southest Part of Europe (Crete).
Old 02-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #44
Dru
Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Great report!
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #45
PPleven
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thank you for the report!
PPleven is offline   Reply With Quote