User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
silverboy OP
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
Making my KTM hand controlled

I lost the use of my left leg and both feet in a skydiving accident 8 years ago. I broke my back and spinal cord damage does not heal over time so I made some changes...
It took some research and testing, but i have a system that works very well for riding with hand controls only. I can ride 99% what everyone rides and have started racing in a few enduros. This bike is 2004 525. Torque is good.
Heres how I did it:

1. Buy Revloc or Rekluse auto clutch so clutch lever can be replaced with brake lever.
Revloc

On a more recent conversion I used a rekluse instead of Revloc. The rekluse seems to prevent more spinning on the rear tire somehow. It also seems to tolerate abuse a bit better, I have had no problems in 2000 miles where I had many problems with the Revloc. The funny noise the rekluse makes is normal when bogging.

2. Buy Pingel shifter and mount to custom metal bar by shifter
Pingel

I bend the shaft frequently. It costs about $75 to have it rebuilt. I have two pistons, so one is fresh when needed.
This part is not made for dirt bikes but works amazingly well considering.

3. Buy Zipty racing peg extensions to help feet stay on pegs.
Zipty

4. I had my suspension lowered 2" so my feet could touch. I had front and rear shocks lowered by Stillwell.
http://www.stillwellperformance.com/...011-race-team/
I fall mostly when stopped... and my skid plate hits more, but well worth not falling over all the time due to very weak quads.

Custom tranny cover:

The other threat of lowering a bike is your feet are closer to the ground.

The only advantage of not feeling your feet is being able to finish long rides after doing this to my foot...

Getting it on the bike

Installation of auto clutch is not too bad. The new clutch basket is easily removed with oily fingers and an impact driver.
For quicker installation, use driver bits with t15 star head to twist many small screws. Pay particular attention to washers under basket. Laying bike on side during installation helps.

Cover for clutch side is a simple plate or better, a custom threaded rod into the top of your existing clutch cover.

Replace clutch with brake lever. Magura makes this. Remove foot brake and have new hose made at auto shop for about $60.

My KTM 450 xcw uses brake fluid for the clutch. For that convesion I just had a new hose made. Super easy!

Install shifter on some sort of metal bracket custom made for your bike.
I made mine with 3/16 plate, a drill, metal cut off wheel, a vise and blow torch to heat the metal into bending easier.
It took several tries, but the bar is perfect now. I ground a slight curve in bottom to clear crankcase.

Mounting the steel bracket is not too bad if the holes line up. After a few versions, mine uses all stock holes with longer bolts. Make sure the shifter can rotate on a bushing to optimize shifting angle for piston. This is supplied with shifter and is critical to install properly.

Wiring the shifter is not too bad. It attaches to the battery and one other wire shown in installation manual.

Making foot pegs larger made riding so much better. My balance is pretty bad so larger pegs enabled me to stand.

Thats it. Riding again. Hope this helps someone get back in the saddle.

silverboy screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 05:39 PM Reason: more info
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,499
That's pretty inspiring!! Congratulations on getting after it, great engineering, love it.

How do you deal with falling over with your feet? Is is difficult to get back on the bike?

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
egoy2
perpetual n00b

Oddometer: 35
Thanks for this,silverboy.
I don't have need for this info at the moment, but I have this (irrational?) fear that I'll have to do something similar to my bike in the future. Nice to know it can be done!
egoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 777
Awesome!

Just curious, but can you still ride standing or is it all seat time?
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
silverboy OP
Bunny

falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
That's pretty inspiring!! Congratulations on getting after it, great engineering, love it.

How do you deal with falling over with your feet? Is is difficult to get back on the bike?

I try not to put my feet down much, it usually ends up falling over. My legs do support my body weight but only when flat footed. Lowering my bike helped a lot. It has taught me to be a better rider actually. But, I have been blamed for not wanting to stop while riding with Normals(that is pc term for people with all their limbs and ability to move them). Riding is easier than sitting on my bike. I usually stop next to a tree or raised area like a rock or piece of wood to put my leg down.

When I fall or know Ill need to use my leg, I just push my way off the bike and let it fall on its own. Ive learned to do this quite well... I also have made a custom tranny case cover our of plate steel to better protect the casing. JB weld is awesome but steel is better.

Getting the bike up sucks. It just takes more time and energy. In bad spots I usually get help, that is why I try to ride with large men who can lift or push my bike on their own.
See this story: Page 6 and up.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=723917&page=7
Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
silverboy OP
Bunny

standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
Awesome!

Just curious, but can you still ride standing or is it all seat time?

I sit most of the time. I stand when possible but my balance sucks and I really can't control the bike well while on the pegs. My legs will work for a short amount of time before becoming useless. Standing for a few seconds at a time seems to work better. I've developed a standing style like a horse jockey, it starts at my knees pinched against the gas tank and does not rely on my feet on the pegs as much. I have my butt about 6-10" above the seat. Its not as good as standing but is much better on rough terrain than sitting.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,800
Do the Zipty peg extensions simply bolt on, or did you have to drill holes in the OEM pegs?
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
I have been blamed for not wanting to stop while riding with Normals(that is pc term for people with all their limbs and ability to move them).
What's the non-PC term?

Very cool!
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
silverboy OP
Bunny

Non pc-term is Lucky...
Old 10-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
silverboy OP
Bunny

peg problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
Do the Zipty peg extensions simply bolt on, or did you have to drill holes in the OEM pegs?
The extensions require drilling of oem peg with normal bit. It is easy but does weaken the peg. I have broken several zip ty extensions and two factory pegs:

I am going to try some weld on peg extensions next but have not found anything nearly as big as the zip tys. They are amazing when new!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
But, I have been blamed for not wanting to stop while riding with Normals(that is pc term for people with all their limbs and ability to move them

Helmets off to your attitude in life. Keep riding.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #12
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post

Helmets off to your attitude in life. Keep riding.
+1. Good on you man!

If you want some BIG pegs, you could fabricate some extended Fastways by cutting and welding two sets.

Or spend big bucks and get the pegs off a 690 Rally. They are very nice and very strong, so it might be worth it if you keep breaking the stock ones with the Zip-ty extensions.

Next to a set of Fastways:

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
I'd pick your bike up anyday, well done...
Old 10-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #14
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
My hats off to you sir...Well done.
woods wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #15
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 289
Thumb Ride

Well done ,there is always some little thing that needs a mod . You have over come some high hurdles and can still smile and get on with it .
Keep on riding as it dose clear the mind .
My hat is off to you Silverboy .
Tezza .
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote