User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
davorallyfan OP
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,286
Shipping container sheds?

Things in my suburban shed are reaching critical.

I ride and collect.

My Missus collects (vintage clothes - micro business).

We like old stuff.

I think buying new stuff all the time is stupid (underpants and techy stuff excepted). Old stuff is often better quality and simple (in a good way)

We need space - I used an angle grinder the other day and almost set fire to her stuff. It has created tension, some silent moments.

OK the house is almost mine. I don't want to spend too much on the house. I just want a warm dry place for my family to cook and relax in - no mansion I dont care what the neigbours think - as long as we remain on talking terms.

But I need space.

Cheap covered space.

Maybe 2 stories

Anyone have any experiences with shipping containers as sheds for motorcycles / house extenions, spare rooms etc
Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,737
build in the carport

build in the carport Davo.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Things in my suburban shed are reaching critical.

I ride and collect.

My Missus collects (vintage clothes - micro business).

We like old stuff.

I think buying new stuff all the time is stupid (underpants and techy stuff excepted). Old stuff is often better quality and simple (in a good way)

We need space - I used an angle grinder the other day and almost set fire to her stuff. It has created tension, some silent moments.

OK the house is almost mine. I don't want to spend too much on the house. I just want a warm dry place for my family to cook and relax in - no mansion I dont care what the neigbours think - as long as we remain on talking terms.

But I need space.

Cheap covered space.

Maybe 2 stories

Anyone have any experiences with shipping containers as sheds for motorcycles / house extenions, spare rooms etc

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,106
20ft container in good nick dry , bout 2k , councils wont like it , but if you have neighbors who wont mind it will be ok

there brilliant , very secure , they do tent to sweet tho but a whirly bird will fix that

i been thinking the same for a long time , but if your handy with tools , frame up that carport and sheet it in
Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,081
Here's one.....

It's been clad with iron, lined and fitted with beds and fireplace. Classic bike riding property. Some of the older sizes are available pretty cheap apparently...

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 AM   #5
ckjackson1
High Country Red Neck

Oddometer: 144
Careful with the council, I had one pit in the rear of the house on 6 acres and was asked to remove it.In NSW they are classed as a shed still - not sure about other states??

Ended up getting a permit for a shed <$5k based on a footprint which was basically 2 x 20' shipping containers side by side.
Cut e side out of them, joined them together, got rid of the doors and installed roller doors, couple of windows and she's a beauty.

Make sure you install a couple of roof quirky vents and natural ventilation vents on the walls as they get bloody hot without them!!

Shelter Station also make a ripper of a shelter that spans between 2 containers and you end up with a cracker of a carport etc.

http://www.shelterstation.com/
Old 10-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #6
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,251
In my home town they have to be approved by council.

Look before you leap, Davo

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:44 AM   #7
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,888
I have a 40 footer and they get farken hot inside, i have put a whirly bird in and even put a roof above it, so the sun does not hit it direct .
but the sun which hit's the side is still makin it way too hot.

I'm thinkin of insulating it atleast on the side's which get nasty hot.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #8
Jelkie
Beginner

Oddometer: 38
Manheim defence auction

Pity you are not in Brisbane. The ADF is unloading quite a bit of gear through Manheim auctions, including portable buildings. Have no idea what they will go for. This is but one of the various types that will be up for grabs. I'm not posting any links because auction links are a bit 'controversial', but it is easy enough to find at the manheim website. The advantage is that the inside is already set-up to some extend, e.g. with cabling and power points etc.
Can't help you with first hand experience on using shipping containers as a shed/home, but a local community center (the Venny in Kensington) is made using them and the end result is phenomenal. I really like it.
Attached Images

Jelkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #9
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2 View Post
I have a 40 footer and they get farken hot inside, i have put a whirly bird in and even put a roof above it, so the sun does not hit it direct .
but the sun which hit's the side is still makin it way too hot.

I'm thinkin of insulating it atleast on the side's which get nasty hot.

My friends purchased the railway containers. These are side opening and ventilated, already insulated roof. Duck's guts actually.
Perfect for Qld.

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #10
build
Banned

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Not me directly but my mate did. He had one in his front yard a few summers ago while he tried to find a crane to put in the backyard. At the end of summer he sold it off at a loss. Bought a kit 4 car shed which about 8 of us assembled on a Saturday. A few went back Sunday to finish off and I took another couple of days putting in an attic storage area. As a retired builder I'd say it was pretty well made kit but no where as good a proper built shed. I'd build a proper shed but he is happy. It apparently cost a small amount more but is comfortable in summer whereas the container with windows, etc was a bloody oven.

I can ask him specific questions if you'd like.

beers,

btw, he warned that he bought the container from a crook and he reckons their all crooks selling crap.
build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,939
You might have a look here for some more ideas. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599868

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #12
trgbox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Put a small inverter aircon in there and air it out with closeable ceiling vents every now and then. I worked out of one in Timor with no probs. Aircons are cheep second hand. Otherwise build your own shed from a kit or check out ADCO and alike web sites. They have a huge variety of sizes which are fully insulated and wired for power and whatever else you want. Just have to make a ramp to get things in and out.

Good luck.
trgbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:06 AM   #13
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
The nation of Haiti has an on going conversion of shipping containers for many of the homeless.

There are locking blocks that enable another container to be secured on top of another. (attached at each corner)

Keep in mind if you are in a wet area that they will rust out at the floor quickly.
We have a lot of the 8x8x20 size in our area. Most of the users set the containers up off the earth so a bit of air can move to keep drier conditions at the underside.

If I were in the market for a container as a shelter, I would look for a refer unit. Most are well insulated, AL is the main metal of construction. Some even had their own compressor on the end w/ many dials & controls. 440volt seems to be the power demand. All the nuts & bolts on the refer units are stainless steel. The inside wall skin is SS.

It might be a good thing to wash these things out before sleeping inside. These things has an unknown history & are decades old. Just suggesting before the kids start to play in them.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:07 AM   #14
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
I have a 20 footer here in Brisbane, and it gets friggin hot in there in summer.

I like it because its very secure, water proof and has a good solid floor in it.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #15
PBee

Oddometer: 8,176
Buy an Insul or an NOR reefer, then you can put a splitty in it if you want to keep it cool.

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUBEst 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the ANGORICHINA Village

PBee is online now   Reply With Quote