Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 05:54 AM   #16
build
Banned

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
Buy an Insul or an NOR reefer, then you can put a splitty in it if you want to keep it cool.
Forgive me if I'm asking a silly question but why buy a 20ft container when for a few bob more you can have a *much* bigger shed?

tia,
build
build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #17
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,775
If you can manage with asingle 40', you'll get a much better deal $/Sq ' that is I think. The other thing is transportation and handling are cheaper again $/sq'

I always got my best deals - at old fashioned on site auctions, best pick (top bid) from 6 20 footers for $1400 got me a VG condition one and same again on ebay best from 4x 40 footers VG one at $1000 mind you these were a few years ago. 20 are in greater demand.

overlandr screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 06:25 AM
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #18
build
Banned

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
If you can manage with asingle 40', you'll get a much better deal $/Sq ' that is I think. The other thing is transportation and handling are cheaper again $/sq'

I always got my best deals - at old fashioned on site auctions, best pick (top bid) from 6 20 footers for $1400 got me a VG condition one and same again on ebay best from 4x 40 footers VG one at $1000 mind you these were a few years ago. 20 are in greater demand.
It depends on access a lot, the extra weight might make it a lot more expensive, getting it to the site is not expensive but "on site" depends on access. My mate sold his because getting it into his backyard was too expensive. Heat issue aside.

beers,
build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #19
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by build View Post
Forgive me if I'm asking a silly question but why buy a 20ft container when for a few bob more you can have a *much* bigger shed?

tia,
build
Err Build, you being a builder should know that you can't build a reasonable size shed for the price of a container However Mr DRF will have to do the cost comparrison, taking into account, council requirements, transport and possible crane hire to position a container, any modifications to said container if it's a stocker etc etc. To me size restriction would be the clincher, you can fill a container pretty quick, a shed has more scope.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #20
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
Let's say you have two containers you'd like to conjoin for one nice big space. How do you seal between the two containers?
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #21
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses View Post
Let's say you have two containers you'd like to conjoin for one nice big space. How do you seal between the two containers?
I would put another roof over the top of the two, this would help with the heat problem as well. You could just use some graded C purlins or box steel welded to the top of the containers then screw your roof sheets down, or just get a flashing bent up between the two.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #22
Colonial Mick
Nettle Licker

Oddometer: 2,408
I have 2 containers, got one for $1000 and the other for $1100 both in really good condition but even with a whirly bird ontop they are really hot !! They normally go for $2000 around here so I was lucky.
They are fantastic for storage but ugly.
.. -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - --. .. ...- . .- ..-. .- - .-. .- - ... - .. -
Colonial Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #23
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,128
How much a square foot is it to build in Aus?

I can build a shed for $100 a square easily.

160 squares shouldn't cost more than $1600 to build. 12 sheets of ply for your walls, 10 for your roof and floor. 22 @ $35 a piece. 70 studs @ $2 a piece, some concrete footers, a door, bam! almost done.

I reckon the shiping containers are overpriced @ $100 a square and you have to move them!

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #24
Colonial Mick
Nettle Licker

Oddometer: 2,408
Tuck,
I always thought it would be cheaper to build a shed but I need to be able to move mine at the moment.If I had a choice there is no way I would choose a shipping container over a shed.
.. -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - --. .. ...- . .- ..-. .- - .-. .- - ... - .. -
Colonial Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #25
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
How much a square foot is it to build in Aus?

I can build a shed for $100 a square easily.

160 squares shouldn't cost more than $1600 to build. 12 sheets of ply for your walls, 10 for your roof and floor. 22 @ $35 a piece. 70 studs @ $2 a piece, some concrete footers, a door, bam! almost done.

I reckon the shiping containers are overpriced @ $100 a square and you have to move them!
A concrete slab costs between $80-$100 a M2 before you even buy the shed, here.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #26
PBee

Oddometer: 7,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by build View Post

tia,
build
Because this is a thread on containers not sheds?

A container is what the OP is asking about?

The OP has limited room?

A container can been taken/sold when you leave?

Perhaps you could start a thread on Sheds?

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUBEst 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the ANGORICHINA Village

PBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #27
Russ

Oddometer: 14,450
Please don't start a thread on sheds, rather sign up here http://theblokeyshed.com/forums/
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #28
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,932
We have a shipping container on our block, instant shed, no planning required. But.................... termites did come up through the solid wooden floor and had a nibble at the timber we were storing in it. Is invaluable whilst house building.

We have spent hours trying to design a workshop/vehicle storage area using shipping containers. One option we liked was placing two, say 4 meters apart and putting a roof over the whole lot. But by the time you put in windows, roofs etc, we've decided on purpose built shedding.

If you google "shipping container buildings" a huge variety of really interesting stuff comes up.

Don't know if this would work these days, but my Dad needed another (to add to the already huge collection) shed but had so many he wouldn't get permission to put up another. So he became very patient, placing sheets of corrigated iron on the ground were the shed was going to be for quite a number of years. Then when he was sure the council wouldn't bother him, he raised the iron turning it into a roof, the back fence was the back wall and the side walls unbolted and so were collapsible. Slightly excentric perhaps! It became like most of his sheds, stuffed with engines and bits, so in fact not easy to dismantle anyway. A cheap, easy, built out of recycled stuff, but not quick option.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #29
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,820
Are they rat proof? We live on an acreage and I have 2 very nice sheds, but slipping a couple of shipping containers in each might be a nice way to keep the rats out of my airfilters / boat gear / oil containers - seriously- they nibble through the plastic oil containers , it makes one hell of a mess! It probably started when they got a taste for CT18 truck washm and now they've nibbled through every plastic container in the shed! Kero / Metho / oil/ even an esky!
Dr AT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #30
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Don't worry about the container. The more room you have the more shit you're going to collect and you'll have the same room problem all over again. I have a 9x18m and a 7x15m and two smaller sheds and they're all full of shit. It has been pointed out to me by my better half that I have more shed space than the family has living space.

I have been looking for more shed space and realised that the real solution is to ebay off some of the crap that I will never use in this lifetime and make room that way.

crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote