Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #31
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
Just watchout humidity in the containor doesnt spot rust your treasures,whirly gid vents may help...
BTW,Never horded that much but am lucky to have a nieghbour that should be retired but is too busy running a cattle property
out Longreach way,so we get to have the use of a cyclone spec 9 x11metre shed...as payment for watching the place.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #32
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,944
[QUOTE=crash n bern;17045823 It has been pointed out to me by my better half that I have more shed space than the family has living space.[/QUOTE]

Ummmmmm,................................... that's normal isn't it???????

It's only when the stuff in the shed starts making it's way into the house on a grand scale that you need to worry. Like when spare tyres get stacked to the ceiling in the shower.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #33
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jane View Post
Ummmmmm,................................... that's normal isn't it???????

It's only when the stuff in the shed starts making it's way into the house on a grand scale that you need to worry. Like when spare tyres get stacked to the ceiling in the shower.

Ummm, are you saying not to keep the bikes in the loungeroom and the riding gear in the laundry cupboard? Next you'll be suggesting not to rebuild the motor in the kitchen
Dr AT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #34
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

Oddometer: 728
another option, which i'm in the process of doing at the moment is the back off a pantec truck. the only bugger for me is they are narrow. my coucncil doesn't seem to mind either which is always a concern i suppose.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #35
Silky
Awaiting Baby...

Oddometer: 1,273
http://www.portcontainerservices.com.au/

Silky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #36
PBee

Oddometer: 8,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDADVGS View Post
Please don't start a thread on sheds, rather sign up here http://theblokeyshed.com/forums/

Been done,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529984

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307663

You might get some ideas how to build it even.

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #37
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywildwildwest View Post
another option, which i'm in the process of doing at the moment is the back off a pantec truck. the only bugger for me is they are narrow. my coucncil doesn't seem to mind either which is always a concern i suppose.
Yes,I used an old fridge van body for many years...
it came with the place & AFAIK if its just sitting on the ground its ok with most councils providing no one complains.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #38
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,596
How well do they survive if partly or entirely buried in the ground?
I'm thinking fire refuge here.... Obviously with appropriate ventillation, protected door, etc.
Any thoughts?

Alternatively as a two-storey shed, imagine 2 x containers one on top of the other, cut into the slope so the top one's floor is on level ground - and so is the bottom one, but facing the other way.
An internal spiral staircase to give access top to bottom, pot-belly stove in the lower one for winter, air-con in the top one (for summer).
Old 10-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #39
Russ

Oddometer: 15,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #40
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Ummm, are you saying not to keep the bikes in the loungeroom and the riding gear in the laundry cupboard? Next you'll be suggesting not to rebuild the motor in the kitchen
No no no no, it's just nice to be able to have a shower after fiddling with your bits in the kitchen.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #41
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
I'm pretty sure someone complained about mine but there is a bylaw or something for my area that says you can have a container for the security of garden tools like ride-ons barrows etc or for storing 'excess household furniture', so I reckon excess riding gear and bikes parts, tyres etc covers all bases

We have a neighbor that has the council on speed-dial and complains at the drop of a hat, about anything she doesn't like.approve of, she will die one day and we will all be happy again!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #42
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonial Mick View Post
I have 2 containers, got one for $1000 and the other for $1100 both in really good condition but even with a whirly bird ontop they are really hot !! They normally go for $2000 around here so I was lucky.
They are fantastic for storage but ugly.
We all know what you mean re heat . A bit of shade goes a long way. I think shipping containers are 'very attractive' due to their intrinsic function ie they can store, move, shelter all very well. A container mansion might look a little odd though.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #43
Russ

Oddometer: 15,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
..... A container mansion might look a little odd though.

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #44
El Toad Man
Offroad adventurer

Oddometer: 628
I've got a 20ft that's almost brand new (single trip). It seals very well and is vermin proof to anything that cant fit through a 10mm hole. It has the standard issue vents along the side which comprise of a heap of 10mm holes and rain hoods.
It gets very cold and wet in my yard but I've never had a problem with condensation in the container. It's a great place to put stuff that's sensitive to vermin and moisture, I hang up sleeping bags etc for months, no problems.

In winter here it's a good thing that they get warm inside!

I sat it up off the ground on wooden blocks, about 200mm high which is a must, getting airflow under them is important, and stopping them from sitting on wet dirt and rusting.
Also, sit them on a slight angle so rain will run off the roof. They will eventually rust if you dont.

I looked at 40fts, but a 20ft is much easier to transport and get into a small yard. A flatbed tip truck can reverse them up a narrow driveway and drop them off the back.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #45
Colonial Mick
Nettle Licker

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
How well do they survive if partly or entirely buried in the ground?
I'm thinking fire refuge here.... Obviously with appropriate ventillation, protected door, etc.
Any thoughts?

Alternatively as a two-storey shed, imagine 2 x containers one on top of the other, cut into the slope so the top one's floor is on level ground - and so is the bottom one, but facing the other way.
An internal spiral staircase to give access top to bottom, pot-belly stove in the lower one for winter, air-con in the top one (for summer).
Steve,we buried one years ago for bushfire protection and its fantastic but it gets heaps of condensation inside and eventually will rust out.With hindsight we should have back filled with gravel and painted it will kill rust or something similar.Its a good wine cellar if anything.My above ground are hot and wet too as they are in the shade in a damp area at the moment.
.. -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - --. .. ...- . .- ..-. .- - .-. .- - ... - .. -
Colonial Mick is offline   Reply With Quote