User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Tiger Chain Lube interval ?

This is a short tail of 2 Tigers - I have a 06' 955 & 11' 800xc. The manual for the 955 stipulates in MAINTENANCE CHART (pg 53 of owners manual - yes, I actually read the damn things) every 200 mi - yet in verbage on "chain lubrication" (pg 63) suggests 500 mi ? So Triumph Manual is a bit inconsistant here. XC manual indicates consistant 200 mi interval. Anyway... my question is: For you experienced O'ring chain users (Up to now I've mostly had belt or final drives - Uly & ST1300) what is a reasonable interval on pavement / dry weather for chain lube ? I recognize dirt roads & wet conditions would necessitate more frequent lubrication... but 200 mi in dry conditions ?? Thats essentially every gas stop ?! Seems a bit excessive - but willing to consider more experienced council here. Thanks in advance for free advice. j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
MK96xj
100% Seat Time

Oddometer: 402
I shoot for 500 mile intervals but do not get crazy about it. If I miss one I get to it whenever and do not miss sleep over it. My chains consistently last 18-20K mile which I deem pretty good.

I guess the 200 mile interval is based on speculation of offroad activity.
MK96xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,384
The more dirt the chain sees, the more often it gets attention.

I don't obsess about it, though.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 386
Using a chain wax, I lube mine every 250-300 miles. I replaced the original chain at 25,000 miles.
Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey - Thanks fellow 'chain gang' members. I am using my first can of Dupont teflon multi-use dry wax lubricant. Sez "O-ring safe" on can. So assume, other than it's lubricating properties, it at least won't cause any damage. They (Dupont) apparently also make a specific 'chain lube" version ? But not many opt to use it for some reason. j
Old 10-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
Hey - Thanks fellow 'chain gang' members. I am using my first can of Dupont teflon multi-use dry wax lubricant. Sez "O-ring safe" on can. So assume, other than it's lubricating properties, it at least won't cause any damage. They (Dupont) apparently also make a specific 'chain lube" version ? But not many opt to use it for some reason. j
In my case, I had not used it because it (the chain-specific version) is more difficult to find. My nearby Lowe's stocks the regular teflon spray lube.

I finally did run across the chain version at a local cycle dealership, so I snagged the last can on the shelf. Have yet to use it but will start to do so at the next opportunity.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Yossarian - What is the stuff called ? I've only seen (as per your experience) the Multi-use version in the store. I would ask them to order the 'chain' version if it is somehow supperior to what I currently have. Anyone have any experience / comparison with both ? I'm not looking for a 'miracle in a can' - but would like to get 15-20 k out of a set of sprockets / chain & avoid premature replacement.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
Yossarian - What is the stuff called ? I've only seen (as per your experience) the Multi-use version in the store. I would ask them to order the 'chain' version if it is somehow supperior to what I currently have. Anyone have any experience / comparison with both ? I'm not looking for a 'miracle in a can' - but would like to get 15-20 k out of a set of sprockets / chain & avoid premature replacement.
It is called Dupont Teflon Chain Saver.

Here is a link to the product at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-...8270997&sr=8-1

I balked at buying it through AZ because of the shipping charges.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
ILuvUMan
Opinions Vary

Oddometer: 22,114
I use silicon spray (from my motocross racing days). Mud, dirt and dust just fall off your chain.

Lowes is the cheapest, I've found to buy it.

I just give my chain (where I can see it) a couple bursts of silicone each time I go riding. My chain has 8k on it and looks new. And I like riding in the dirt and mud too.

There is also now a new Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Spray. I haven't used it, but I hear it's great.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

ILuvUMan screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 12:52 PM
ILuvUMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
I've read elsewhere that the Dupont Teflon Chain Saver is the exact same stuff as the Multi-Use lubricant, just in a different package.

I can attest to the Dupont stuff being a great product. I kept my original Wee-Strom chain lubed with it for over 30,000 miles before finally needing to replace the chain. I attribute this longevity to the Dupont lube.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I've read elsewhere that the Dupont Teflon Chain Saver is the exact same stuff as the Multi-Use lubricant, just in a different package.
According to the webbikeworld: "DuPont told us that the newer Chain-Saver lube also uses the same basic formula as the Multi-Use lubricant, but Chain-Saver contains more of both the Teflon and moly for added temperature and pressure resistance. DuPont says that both lubes can withstand temperatures up to 300° F (149° C), and both are listed as "O-ring safe".
Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks all - good stuff. & thanks to "ILUVUMAN" for the link to WBW review of the Dupont line of lubes. Didn't know they also have a chain cleaner / degreaser that is well regarded. I think my search is over for a product - here it is. Also appreciate the sage, 'don't worry" advice on lube interval. I generally ride a leisurly 300-400 miles /day on trips (retired & like to smell the roses along the way) So lube at end of riding day, should be adequate. I will now be able to hear the purring of the tiggers, instead of chain noise. TTFN, j
Old 10-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
atomic frog
pavement ends, YEAH!

Oddometer: 274
I try to lube my Tigers chain at 500 mile intervals. I use Castrol chain lube. I have 38,000 plus miles and replaced the OEM sprockets and chain at 25,000. I never have had to adjust the chain. I do clean it w/kerosene periodically and relube accordingly.
atomic frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
tedesco886
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I find that when I feel my bike is running a bit funny, not shifting or not as smooth as i'd like it, if I lube the chain, all problems are solved. I clean with white gas, rinse quickly with water, dry the snot out of it with air compressor and towel and finally re-lube with silicon spray...#feelsgoodman
tedesco886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #15
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
I just bought a can of Dupont Chain stuff at Wal-mart. They had the cleaner too.
I try to lube my chain every other gas fill up, unless it's visibly dry or kinking.