Oddometer: 385
yep

Like button here too!!!!!!!!!
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #32
2eddies
2eddies

Oddometer: 108
This is great, you guys are hitting all of the good spots in Southern Utah! More Please!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649853
East of Eden's Fires - 8/2011 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717546
2eddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #33
Pr0xy OP
Shreddin' the gnar

Oddometer: 341
Here's a breakdown of gear, what worked, and what didn't. Some of this you've probably seen before, but this n00b learned a few things.

Bike Gear
  • Bike - 2003 Suzuki DR 650
  • Fuel tank - IMS 4.9 gallon
  • Bag - Wolfman Enduro tank bag – Held my Canon S5-IS camera, chap stick, various cables for electronics.
  • Bag - Wolfman E10 saddle bags – Right side held spares (tubes, cables, levers), left side held food.
  • Bag - Sea to Summit 65L dry bag – Held my sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, clothes, and toiletries (mesh bag).
  • Bag – Seal Line 30L dry bag – Held my clothes, packed this bag inside the 65L bag.
  • Bag – REI 5L dry bag – This held some of my cold and wet weather gear like gloves, toboggan, balaclava.
  • Power – Powerlet cigarette socket with usb adapter – Powered the GPS and charged iPod, GoPro, cell phone on occasion.
  • Tires – Dunlop 606 front and rear
  • OGIO tool belt
Electronics
  • SPOT Satellite Messenger
  • Garmin 60 CSx
  • iPod Nano
  • Cell phone
  • Canon S5-IS camera
  • GoPro HD camera
  • Midland FRS radio with iAsus throat mic
Protective Gear Camping Gear
  • Tent – Eureka Solitaire
  • Sleeping bag – Field & Stream 40 mummy bag
  • Sleeping pad - REI Lite-Core 1.5
  • 6’ x 8’ tarp
Food
  • 5 MREs with the flameless ration heaters (FRH)
  • A few bags of family size tuna
  • Tortillas
  • Strawberry jam
  • Power bars
Clothing
  • 4 pair under-armor boxer briefs
  • 1 pair pants
  • 1 long-sleeve t-shirt
  • 3 under-armor long-sleeve shirts
  • 2 pair moto socks
  • Keen sandals
What didn't work, or things I’d do differently:
  • OGIO tool belt – With the 65L dry bag behind me, and the tank bag in front of me, there was no room for a tool belt around my waist, so I strapped it to the top of everything. Next time, I’ll probably get a fender bag to hold the tools that were in it.
  • The 40 bag was fine at Lake Powell, but the weather cooled off quite a bit later in the trip and it would’ve been insufficient had we not found a motel or cabin a few of the days. Unfortunately, bags increase quite a bit in size (or cost) as the temperature rating lowers and I couldn’t afford a small, lower temperature bag. However, now that the initial investment in gear is done, I might be able to justify a smaller high quality bag.
  • Organization of stuff on the bike. I don’t know that I ever had the bike packed exactly the same any 2 days of the trip. I was making improvements every day. I figured out on the 4th day that my cold/wet weather gear like gloves and liner needed to be easier to access so on the 5th day, I put the small dry bag they were in on top of the bike for quick access.
  • iAsus throat mic with VOX activation. The plan was to use VOX activation for the throat mics and radios, but the thing wouldn’t pick up our voices very reliably, and usually wouldn’t pick mine up at all. The throat mic is a neat contraption, but next time I’ll use the included “push-to-talk” piece instead of relying on it to pick up my voice. Given our separation on day 1, I still highly recommend radios for long trips like this… and test everything BEFORE you leave.
  • Thor Ride pants – Great pants… when it’s dry out. The water-repellant spray didn’t help these at all. Everything else I wore was waterproof though, so only a small section of my legs got wet.
  • Dunlop 606 rear tire – Most of the weight was on the rear of the bike, so my rear tire wore a lot faster than I expected. Still, I could’ve probably made it the entire trip on a single rear tire. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t get the tire changed so soon.
  • Exploding strawberry jam – Not recommended for significant changes in altitude.
  • Sea to Summit 65L dry bag – My only complaint is that it didn’t secure as nicely as a dry duffle would. The Wolfman dry duffle (large) would’ve been the perfect choice since it is waterproof as well and is made to integrate with the enduro saddle bags I have.
  • Seal Line Baja dry bag – Though a great bag, it was unnecessary to pack inside the Sea to Summit bag given its weight and bulk. Next time, I’ll put my clothes in a trash bag inside the 65L bag or a duffel.
  • Goggles - I bought a brand new pair of Scott goggles for this trip, but forgot to put oil on the foam. As a result, they didn't keep the dust out at all. The visor on the helmet did not help either, you need a perfect seal in conditions like that.
What worked:
  • The bike. The DR 650 is tough to beat for many reasons. Reliability, simplicity, cost, and it is far favorable to a larger bike in the technical stuff. On the highways, it did ok. I was cruising at 65mph, which was a bit buzzy, but the bike didn’t care. The jetting was fine at all altitudes… roughly 2,000 ft. (Vegas) - 9,600 ft. (Boulder Mountain, UT).
  • Firstgear Kathmandu jacket – This thing was perfect. I had the liner out until we got to Zion on day 5, then kept it in until we got home as the weather was cold and wet. I didn’t get a single drop of water anywhere. In temperatures below 40F, I layered up with some under armor and a sweater as the liner wasn’t quite enough at highway speed. I did spray the jacket with water repellant before the trip, but not sure if that was absolutely necessary.
  • Firstgear Fargo gloves – Before I took them on the trip, I put them on and dipped them in water to test the waterproof-ness. They passed that test, and the real world road test as well. My hands were bone dry in the wet stuff (the handguards probably helped too), though my fingertips got a little chilly when the temps dropped below freezing.
  • Sidi Crossfire boots – I absolutely cannot stand wet feet, but I never had wet or cold feet with these boots. This is why it’s so hard for me to get interested in trying other brands/models of boots. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. This is my 2nd pair of Crossfires.
  • Sea to Summit 65L dry bag – As mentioned above, I would’ve preferred a purpose-built duffel. However, nothing I had ever got wet. I had the bag lined in a contractor trash bag just in case… but still no water got inside the bag. The fewer containers you have to secure on the bike, the better, and this thing helped with that. I held all of my camping gear and clothing.
  • IMS 4.9 gallon fuel tank – After a few days calculating mileage (usually around 46mpg), the range could be stretched to over 200 miles, though we never went more than 150 miles between fuel stops.
  • Canon S5-IS – I’m VERY glad I made room for a point & shoot camera. Even though this one is fairly large, it helped me get some great shots.
    Under-armor stuff – It dries quick, which helps when you’re wearing it and also means that you can wash clothes in the sink in your motel room and hang-dry them overnight.
  • REI Lite-Core sleeping pad - It has mixed reviews, but I was amazed at how comfortable it was sleeping on a giant rock at Lake Powell with this thing.

'88 KDX 200 - Restoring
Rides :: Albuquerque to Vegas 2011 | Colorado 2009 | SLAP 2009

Pr0xy screwed with this post 11-02-2011 at 07:18 AM
Pr0xy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #34
Mud Missile
Aventurero

Oddometer: 170
Wishing I was there!

Great report Jason, I completely understand your frustration of eating Byron's dust. However, I understand even more the frustration of getting to an interception and no Byron in sight! , being there, done that.That 990 can throw some serious dust. Had I gone with you guys, I would have taken the 650 as well. By the way, I noticed your wind screen but you did not mentioned on your list, what is it? Did you run stock on your suspension or did you modify it? We need to get together for a beer and debrief. Thanks for the great report.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #35
Pr0xy OP
Shreddin' the gnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Missile View Post
Great report Jason, I completely understand your frustration of eating Byron's dust. However, I understand even more the frustration of getting to an interception and no Byron in sight! , being there, done that.That 990 can throw some serious dust. Had I gone with you guys, I would have taken the 650 as well. By the way, I noticed your wind screen but you did not mentioned on your list, what is it? Did you run stock on your suspension or did you modify it? We need to get together for a beer and debrief. Thanks for the great report.
Slipstream windscreen. It was... adequate. It came on the bike though and I've never run with it off so I don't have much to compare it against.

Stock suspension, and it did just fine, though I'm not a guy who is picky with suspension.

+1 on the beer debrief.

'88 KDX 200 - Restoring
Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #36
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Nice ride, Proxy.

Thanks! Really appreciate the "What worked" and "What didn't" -- Lots of great territory!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #37
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,519
Nice trip guys!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #38
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

Oddometer: 773
Yes, you should have been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Missile View Post

I ride ORANGE bike's and a Gasser...

Disclaimer: Don't take me seriously, because I don't....
iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #39
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

v2.0 coming

We're planning another trip. Anyone interested?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #40
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,938
Great ride report. I was just checking something in our Death Valley RR and saw your post from a few months ago.

Glad you found the route useful. Looks you found some really nice alternatives too.

We tried to do a shorter modifed version last Sept but had a mud disaster in Chinle AZ as described here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727309

I think we might try it again next May. I would liked to have gone this September, but everybody is busy.

A few of us did a 4- Corners ride in Oct that took in the ride above thru about the middle of Utah. No RR but tracks and some pics are on dualsportmaps.com
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #41
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

Hahahaha.. that was fun to read. My idea of fun isn't screwing with mud like that...

You guys spent more time digging yourself out than riding. Dual Sport motorcycles and clay mud don't do well together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Great ride report. I was just checking something in our Death Valley RR and saw your post from a few months ago.

Glad you found the route useful. Looks you found some really nice alternatives too.

We tried to do a shorter modifed version last Sept but had a mud disaster in Chinle AZ as described here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727309

I think we might try it again next May. I would liked to have gone this September, but everybody is busy.

A few of us did a 4- Corners ride in Oct that took in the ride above thru about the middle of Utah. No RR but tracks and some pics are on dualsportmaps.com

Old 06-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #42
Pr0xy OP
Shreddin' the gnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphorde View Post
Hahahaha.. that was fun to read. My idea of fun isn't screwing with mud like that...

You guys spent more time digging yourself out than riding. Dual Sport motorcycles and clay mud don't do well together.
Indeed. Great read, but that makes me glad we pounded pavement when the wet stuff hit.

'88 KDX 200 - Restoring
Old 06-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #43
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,604
I love the desert.....
Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #44
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

Here are some pics from that trip Pr0xy didn't include:

We met these two girls in the middle of Utah. They're from Holland, I went and visited them. What a great story.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #45
lanceputnam
Hayden's Dad

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphorde View Post
We're planning another trip. Anyone interested?
I'm in. Same route or new adventure?

2012 BMW R1200 GS-Rallye
lanceputnam is offline   Reply With Quote