User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Cambi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
South Africa Tour/Rental Advise/Help

My partner and I are planning a tour end of Nov. from Cap Town and wish to receive advises and help from locals. The intention is to rent a 1200GS(A) and 650GS for 10 days between the 24th to the 7th.
She owns one and I have the F800GS back home.
Why going for the 1200? I had a free replacement R1200R last week for the 20K visit and although I disliked the frame style, I loved the engine thus it make sense to try a GS(A).

Anyway back to the trip, the link below shows a draft for anyone to help with place to stay, distance, things to see and do. Road conditions, average speed, danger and annoyance.
There's a lot of rentals available so if one knows a reputable and helpful company to recommend, I would appreciate.

My partner is fairly young at riding, 1st bike with almost 10K (3K Transylvania 2 weeks this summer) on the clock and wouldn't accept dirt road which is not flat or technical but I have the inclination to make her live the experience for future trips.... She has the desire to see lions

Thanks a lot for supporting our trip.
C.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ca...8,9,12&t=h&z=8

Cambi screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 02:07 PM Reason: missed something
Cambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,249
Maybe one of Rene's trips will work for you - fellow inmate and all around good guy...

http://renedian.com/
Old 10-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Cambi OP
Adventurer

Thanks but...

I am not looking at buying a tour but rentals only. The rest will be by the two of us.
We certainly are going to see, do less but the independence, do it on your own is also part of the experience and adventure.
Again, anyone with good info's is more than welcomed.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Africa4Adventure
Chaz

Oddometer: 22
[QUOTE=Cambi;17052622]
Anyway back to the trip, the link below shows a draft for anyone to help with place to stay, distance, things to see and do. Road conditions, average speed, danger and annoyance.
There's a lot of rentals available so if one knows a reputable and helpful company to recommend, I would appreciate.

Hi, We can help you with the bike rental only, but we can also help you with planning your trip.
We offer:
  • Straight tours for a rate (which I see you don't want)
  • or the option to do one of our tours on your own (just rent the bike and pay for accommodation and we give you a Garmin with the route),
  • or you can just hire the bikes and we can tell you good places to go and stay and play.
Looking at the route you picked, it looks pretty good - there are loads of good places in those areas. We have some great spots along the way, but it depends upon your budget. Also there are some MUST DO dirt roads that I'm sure your lady could manage while in the area which I would strongly recommend - low traffic so just take it easy. Also we recently visited a very cool Leopard centre near Cape Town in the Karoo, not on your route but not too far away, if you are into wild life, they also have a few Lions only 2.5 hours from CT centre, but there is a little bit of flat wide dirt to get there +/- about 15km or so. Not yet blogged on that trip but can send you some pics.

Check out:
regards Charles

Here is one:

Africa4Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #5
Doc Rich
Dance with the Angels

Oddometer: 195
I have been told these guys are good for rentals http://www.motorradrentals.com/ although haven't used them myself. They are located near all the major airports so its easy to collect the bikes and get going.

Cheers
Rich
Old 10-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Cambi OP
Adventurer

Hi Charles - Thanks a lot for offering your services. I will study them with consideration although I am willing to try a 1200.
We both ride the 650 and 800 at home.
Question:
What is the tire standard for rentals? Are they in general road or dirt orientated? Brand and type?
What is covered with the rent, unlimited mileage, damages up to a certain amount....?
Are they any danger and annoyance I should be aware off?
Will you have bikes between the 26th Nov. - 5th Dec.?

Regarding accommodations, we will go with a comfortable flow of B&B's and/or motels/hotels. It is a short trip so I don't want to compromise my comfort but enjoy myself thus a mix a luxury/low end doesn't hurt. Pretty open here.

Hi Richard - Yes I found them while searching the net but they are comparatively a little bit up market in term of pricing and charge extra mileage. I haven't started making enquiries about availability but will actively do so over this weekend.
.................................................. ................................
Anyone else can make this small adventure a success?
Old 10-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Cambi OP
Adventurer

Forgot to mention

We will publish another article. The latest one can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Old 10-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
larryi52
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Travel in South Africa

Hey, Guys, I have an F800GS in Somerset West that I've kitted out for maximum adventure riding. A local friend also has an F800GS and we ride every weekend when I'm there (I live in Redmond, WA 7 months a year and 5 months in Somerset West). My friend and I went to BikeFest 2011 this past Easter, a national rally for BMW riders. It was headquartered in Oudtshoorn and they had all these great rides planned out that were exhilarating and challenging. One of them is to ride into "Die Hel", which means you are riding into Hell. It was an awesome ride. There are so many great dirt roads around Oudtshoorn that you can explore with one being a 7 pass ride in one day. Check with the BMW Club of Western Cape and they can help you a lot.

Do not ride on the N2. It is both dangerous and boring. Think riding I40 in Western Oklahoma and the panhandle of Texas. Take the routes less traveled. Ride from Somerset West to Gordon's Bay to Betty's Bay and on to Hermanus and just follow the ocean there. It is both beautiful and spectacular riding.

Good luck!

Larry
larryi52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
Africa4Adventure
Chaz

Wicked

I am willing to try a 1200.

CE - No problem we can organise that for you.

What is the tire standard for rentals?

CE - We can fit whatever tyre type you would prefer to use. Full knobbly, trial, dual-purpose, road, etc.

Are they in general road or dirt orientated?

CE - typically we offer a choice of Trial or Dual Purpose. The Dual purpose is good on tar.

Brand and type?

Many types, so can look fro what you'd prefer, but we supply Heidenau

What is covered with the rent, unlimited mileage, damages up to a certain amount....?

CE - Yes unlimited km's. You would have to put an insurance deposit down from which any accident or repairs would be resolved by the insurance company. Comes with a top box.

Are they any danger and annoyance I should be aware off?

CE - This is a safe part of the country - very friendly and welcoming. Avoid the N2 in various areas, as it is relatively busy and uninteresting in parts - other parts are Ok like round Knysna, Plett etc. Of course with your requirement to only do tar this may in some cases be the only option if you are sticking to your route. I can suggest some modification to your route which will stick to tar but mostly avoid the N2.

Will you have bikes between the 26th Nov. - 5th Dec.?

CE - Yes as it stands right now - but you will have to order soon as we like >30 days notice to reserve them and get them ready.

Regarding accommodations, we will go with a comfortable flow of B&B's and/or motels/hotels. It is a short trip so I don't want to compromise my comfort but enjoy myself thus a mix a luxury/low end doesn't hurt. Pretty open here.

OK. - Good call there is a lot to choose from but this is going into high season so get in and book early especially along the seaside part of the trip.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:49 AM   #10
Cambi OP
Adventurer

Larry - Thanks a lot for taking some of your time to answer with good advises.
From what I understand, N2 is to be avoided at all cost. Well, it not always possible if you are following the cost so I will try my utmost to explain to the lady that easy going dirt roads aren't that hard if you follow basic driving skills.
If something else comes across your mind, please feel free.

Charles - Could you PM your direct contact so I can call you?

Anyone else with ideas, opinions and must do/see?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #11
Africa4Adventure
Chaz

I tried to find the private messaging but using such a slow internet connection as I am away in the mountains at the moment and my phone is using 1G! It's taking me too long!

The best way to get in touch is to go to the website and leave your details here:
http://www.africa4adventure.com/inde...m/enquiry-form

Please also tell me where you are from as I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks regards
Charles
Old 10-18-2011, 04:36 AM   #12
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Great and timely thread as this is something my wife and I are looking into. Appreciate the info Charles.
We'll be looking at this for next year probably. BTW are there better times of the year to travel?
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #13
Cambi OP
Adventurer

Charles - I filled up the form with a request of quote. There's info/questions too.

CanadianX - If you require a detailed "report" after the trip, don't hesitate to get in touch with me mid December as I will be happy to feed you with our experiences.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambi View Post
Charles - I filled up the form with a request of quote. There's info/questions too.

CanadianX - If you require a detailed "report" after the trip, don't hesitate to get in touch with me mid December as I will be happy to feed you with our experiences.
Great and most definitely will be interested in your RR and lessons learned. If the timing was a bit to the right I'd consider going this year as well. Sent off a request for info also, guess I got all inspired when I mentioned it to my wife and she was enthusiastic about the idea. I think it was the Ride with Charley thread that set the wheels in motion.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #15
Africa4Adventure
Chaz

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Great and timely thread as this is something my wife and I are looking into. Appreciate the info Charles.
We'll be looking at this for next year probably. BTW are there better times of the year to travel?
The beauty of both South Africa and Southern Africa below the equator is that ALL YEAR ROUND is the best time to travel in one place or another. Best months are April, May & October for all round travel. One can follow these general rules of thumb:
  • Avoid summer rain areas (north & east) by going, south and west (desert and wilds) in an L shape.
  • Avoid winter rain areas (south and south west), by going anywhere north of Graaf Reinet across Southern Africa.
  • Avoid winter cold (high elevations and south). Winter is not too cold with the odd exception for daytime riding because its sunny except along the garden route Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. Avoid Lesotho mountains.
  • Avoid the summer heat (north & west) - Deserts and give or take anywhere north of Johannesburg.
Hope this makes sense - I have a more detailed analysis by each route we offer if anyone wants it?