Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
jdmtbiker OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Pros and cons of spoke wheels / Alloy Wheels

HI All,

You probably all know the R1200GS has a spoke wheel option.. Is it worth the extra $$? What do I gain/lose from the alloy wheels.

Thanks
Jeff
jdmtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
idc22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Spokes = Strength

The spoked wheels will take more abuse off-road when hitting rocks etcetera.
idc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
What he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idc22 View Post
The spoked wheels will take more abuse off-road when hitting rocks etcetera.
Spokes are stronger when hitting sharp-edged potholes or raised cattle-grid edges etc. They may bend, but alloys tend to break. Really depends on what you hit, and how hard you hit it.

Early R1200GS bikes here had the choice as a no-cost option here. Many city-dwellers (like my brother) went for the alloys. Easier to clean. Looked pretty. They got pretty popular, and are not as soft as the R1150R alloys, but many who 'used' their bikes went with spokes.

The sales percentage really favoured the alloys in Aus, so the spokes became a low-cost option instead of a no-cost option. No idea what the cost is these days.

If you don't ride loaded all the time, and don't plan on tackling too much difficult dirt, then go alloy. As for me, I like the extra margin for error the spokes give me. I was always fearful I'd break or bend the alloys on my R1150R, but love the spokes on my R1150GSA.
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,940
This was covered pretty well in the past couple of weeks. Search is your friend.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Jeff... Spokes do provide an extra margin of error, but that noted, I've ridden with cast wheel equipped GS riding friends here in the Colorado, on surfaces delivering a buffet of off road rocky surfaces, and they came through just fine.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,818
Cast are way easier to clean. Some people do clean their GS's....
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,722
The laced wheels are a good deal heavier that the cast alloy wheels.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
The laced wheels are a good deal heavier that the cast alloy wheels.
Front is virtually identical in weight as I recall, rear spoked wheel is about 2 lbs heavier.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,700
The spokes on my '07 GSA didn't pass the tone test. When tapped with a screwdriver it seemed as though half of them just yielded a dull thud.

The alloys look better IMO and are definitely easier to clean so I swapped wheels with an inmate. I've never seen another hexhead Adventure with alloys but I'm sure mine can't be the only one.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #10
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmtbiker View Post
HI All,

You probably all know the R1200GS has a spoke wheel option.. Is it worth the extra $$? What do I gain/lose from the alloy wheels.

Thanks
Jeff
Get the spoke ones! I know that the spoke arrangement is the best heavy duty metal structure there can be.
And btw, I had a crash with my 1100gs having spokes, the forks just broke and the A-arm of the telelever, anyway, severe damage to the front end and the wheel had nothin. It did not even need trueing or someting ;)

Now I am hunting a set of RT-P spoke wheels for my RT

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #11
lewis_jr1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Spoked rims are faster, or is that the alloys...
lewis_jr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
CannonsvilleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
I question the conventional wisdom that you should have spokes if you go offroad.

Maybe it just where I live, but I have never encountered an immovable object with a 6 inch deep obstruction with a wheel breaking sharp ninety degree edge off road.

Nature abhors sharp edges. If a rock has a sharp edge, it is probably recently fractured and movable. If it isn't movable, it has been there a long time and should have been expected.

The nastiest obstacles I have seen were all created by humans and in the main road including but not limited to potholes, eroded asphalt, uncovered manholes, partially filled ditches and stone sawed grooves.

I think spokes are most important for bad roads, not off-road!
CannonsvilleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
jdmtbiker OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks!

Thanks for all your comments. I did think to use the 'search' feature after posting my question. I found another good thread about this topic. (Like Boondox mentioned. ) Sorry for the redundant post. But we all like to talk about motorcycle stuff anyway, right?
jdmtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,388
Spoked bikes sell better than cast wheeled bikes. Just sayin!!
little foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Oldpeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
This must be the thread for the question I have ben mullying over for a long time: do spoked wheels have more resilience to cracks and bumps and potholes in asphalt than alloy wheels? In other words do they react softer and absorb sharp hits better? I'm asking because this friend of mine has a GS with spoked wheels, and he does not seem to complaint about our terrible surfaces as much as I do with my alloys. By the same token, he doesn't find the BMW OEM low seat as unbearably hard as I do. Now, he is much lighter than me (150 lbs vs 180 lbs), and he has regular OEM shocks, which he never sets differently, except a bit of pre-load with a pillion, whereas I have ESA on «Comf» all the time in town. He also has his tires up on the pressure scale, like 38/42, whereas I go with 34/38.

Thank you.