User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,718
I Can't Stand

Before my wreck a year ago, I spent 5-10% of my ON road miles standing on the pegs, and all of the off road stuff, of course.

I can kinda get up to standing position now, but with great effort and pain. Sitting back down onto the seat is more falling than sitting, as there's little strength or mid range function of the knee. I'm afraid of riding hard off road now, in any position. My knee can't absorb any shock, so there don't seem to be any point to standing any more.

Does anybody ride (hard) sitting down? How do you steer without clamping the tank with your knees, or weighting the pegs?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
zerohype
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
How much rehab have you done? How much bicycling have you done? I completely tore my patella tendon off the knee cap at 50 years of age. Almost one year to get back mobility, strength and balance. Another 6 months mountain bike and stationary bike riding before I could stand from a seated position on my Husqvarna.
zerohype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #3
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohype View Post
How much rehab have you done? How much bicycling have you done? I completely tore my patella tendon off the knee cap at 50 years of age. Almost one year to get back mobility, strength and balance. Another 6 months mountain bike and stationary bike riding before I could stand from a seated position on my Husqvarna.
I think bicycling will be the key to any meaningful recovery, but there was lots of nerve damage, along with a reconstructed tibial plateau. I don't have any feeling or muscle control in 1/4 of my lower leg, and half my foot. I can stand from a seated position, but it involves pulling hard on the bars and using mostly my right leg. It's a year now and I'm sure some of it will never come back. I'm almost 60, and not getting any younger.

I'm hoping to discover riding techniques, and advice about riding with limited use of the leg. I really don't feel like I'm ready to give up jumps, but I don't see how it's possible now. I really want to try, but can't imagine having good control with a one-leg landing.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:34 AM   #4
motif
Banned

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Does anybody ride (hard) sitting down? How do you steer without clamping the tank with your knees, or weighting the pegs?
not really possible unless you don't like your arse and spine,
not to mention some techniques require to move up and down your body.
motif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
ACR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Not sure how to properly explain this. While aggressively riding in a seated position, one is able to.. squeeze the sides of the seat with the most upper inner thighs. There are plenty of times when cornering and needing to be seated, maybe one or two legs off the pegs, and this technique will help keep your arss attached to the bike. I used to ride my YZ250 like this on certain sections of the track. It may not look pretty, or feel so good, though it works well enough. The key is keeping your core flexed, which helps lessen the impact to the spine while seated, leading to a tighter thigh grip on the seat.

I'm sorry if you cannot visualize this, but I swear it works
ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,496
A couple of things. The bicycle is probably the best idea. I've had both knees done (torn meniscus) and didn't have very good knee strength for YEARS until I got back on a bike. Low impact and great for building muscle. I ride between 50 and 70 miles a week but I'm retired (and 65 years old). When I ride I typically go for at least an hour. Good for both the heart and knees.

Second, are you on Staten drugs? A known side affect is weaken muscles. There is a blood test for this. Get one taken if you're on those drugs. It might be part of the problem.

HTH,
Gerg

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #7
stevo7706
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
A lot of times when riding MX I get tired and sit more than I should. You'll adapt riding techniques to compensate. You can't sit down flatlanding and that's where your going to feel the pain. Have the best suspension setup possible and brake on jumps if you can't downside them. Ultimately, listen to your body if it's in pain riding, I would consider another activity. It's really not worth it. IMHO
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
Arbolmano
Not so Studly

Oddometer: 13
A Heretic

I realize that standing is all the rage now a daze. You can't be cool if you don't stand up. But I've been riding since 1978 only rarely do I stand up on the pegs when road riding. As far as "riding hard" well watch "On any Sunday, does Kenny Roberts ever stand? When cornering aggressively you do need to shift your weight around , squeeze with your thighs and put weight on the pegs. Can't really just "sit there" inactive.
I think you should work on your strength and technique. Off road is a different story. With good suspension and technique you can minimize standing but the only way to not have to stand would be avoiding those situations. Which would mean go slower, have a proper bike and chose terrain carfefully. I use a TW200 for off road as it is not capable of going fast safely, works as a governor for me.
Of course a cruiser bike with forward controls would also end any need to stand up, but it's a different kind of "cool".
Old 06-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I did, but it was mostly out of laziness, and I stand more now.

Steer the bike by turning the bars. It takes almost no force at the bars to flop the bike from one side to the other, and you keep your body loose and upright.

Wheelie while sitting and your body gets about a foot further from the ground. When the front wheel comes back down, push with your legs and arms, and the mass of your body stays at the same height while the bike falls out from under you.
Or aim for bumps that will do that for you, either dropping the bike down or pushing your body up smoothly.

Depending on the jump, sitting down on the takeoff can work a lot of the time, then standing up in the air doesn't take much force, and you can absorb the landing with whatever leg strength you have.
*Does not apply to 70' triples or 110' quads*

For getting over logs and rocks you can wheelie the front over and when the rear hits your butt gets pushed into the air and *bam* you're standing on the pegs ready for landing. A little blip of throttle in the air to keep from endoing and it can almost look like you did it all on purpose.
It's very easy for this (and the jumping) to go horribly wrong and put you on your face, so start on small stuff until you know how your bike and body are going to react.
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

I really appreciate all the great responses I've gotten. It pretty much solidifies what I didn't want to admit to myself...it's time to slow down a bit, just like when I quit competition wakeboarding 10 years after I should have. I'm not going to quit riding off road, but you guys have given me some great ideas about how to be more successful, with less ability.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #11
ColoradoKen
Orange Cult Convert

Oddometer: 114
This might help?

by keeping your back in proper alignment when sitting, also when you do stand up the grips will be a chest level and should be less painful.

You'll probably need to lengthen a few cables/hoses but that's part of the Fun O' Farkling.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
CanyonRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Not to thread-jack, but I have a related question. I recently got reprimanded by LEO for standing. I have been doing it for years - especially on all day rides. I don't do it at highway speeds, but when I roll into a town with 35mph speed limit, I take the opportunity to stretch my legs and back for 5min. Is there a problem with that? Has it happened to anyone else? I didn't get into a discussion with the cop, he was on foot and yelled at me twice to sit - so I did.

Thoughts?
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
crowe2815
kenoath

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbolmano View Post
I realize that standing is all the rage now a daze. You can't be cool if you don't stand up. But I've been riding since 1978 only rarely do I stand up on the pegs when road riding. As far as "riding hard" well watch "On any Sunday, does Kenny Roberts ever stand? When cornering aggressively you do need to shift your weight around , squeeze with your thighs and put weight on the pegs. Can't really just "sit there" inactive.
".

+1 i don't do a lot of standing
crowe2815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #14
aldend123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonRider View Post
Not to thread-jack, but I have a related question. I recently got reprimanded by LEO for standing.

Thoughts?
Here's a recent thread on it : advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038114 And I'm pretty sure there were several lengthy ones before it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohype View Post
Another 6 months mountain bike and stationary bike riding before I could stand from a seated position on my Husqvarna.
+1 you can do a lot of mountain biking seated. And if you have to come off the seat, it's much easier than getting off a dirtibke seat due to the angle and short distance (assuming the seat's high). The fast guys are never seated, but you can still do quite a bit in the seat.