Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #1546
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
I never said I hate you, i havent met you. I said people hate cyclists, and I gave you examples why they might.

I note that instead of acknowledging tha cyclists could be in the wrong that you go on the attack, you wont even acknowledge that cyclists do the wrong thing around peds bullying them and causing injuries.
You said bicycles initiate collisions and then you cite ONE instance where a wheelman hit a ped but the article said nothing of intent. Instead, he was riding with reckless abandon which isn't the same as an intent to cause bodily harm.

You make stuff up and then feign outrage against the straw men you construct. I suspect you are nothing but a straw man yourself.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #1547
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
No, I said that cyclists deliberately cause accidents, a crash with a ped is still a collision, its not an accident because they do i deliberately and negligently.

THe context was we were comparing deer and cyclists, I would rather stand in front of a herd if running deer compared to a group of cyclists. The deer are smart enough to go around, one of the cyclists would end up deliberately hitting me so that the can get in an argument because they have a chip on their shoulder from getting pushed off by cars, its not my fault that happens, why do cyclists try to get retribution back on me. I dont own a car.

And you wonder why people hate you
Oh jeez...what an absurd statement. Why would a cyclist deliberately cause an accident and risk injuring themselves? So by your logic, any vehicle that gets involved in an accident is guilty of deliberately causing said accident. Wouldn't that fall under vehicular assault and not "accident"?
If deer are so smart why do they run into the road and into vehicles?
I don't recall him saying anyone hated him...except I believe some of the posters on this thread do by the tone of their posts...like you for instance.
He rides more miles on his bicycle then some of you ride on your motorcycle and uses the lane for maximum exposure to see and be seen...just like a motorcyclist does. For a bunch of folks who don't even ride bicycles(and maybe even motorcycles) and have no clue except for a few idiots you've come across, you sure have all the answers. I've seen more motorcyclists do stupid, dangerous things in traffic then a simple bicyclist could ever dream of doing.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #1548
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,804

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #1549
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim
That looks like fun. ...till you fall off!

Probably going to go for a 4.5-5hr ride today. I'll give y'all an update when I get back.

M
Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #1550
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

4:06 on the road and only one idiot. Guy towing a landscaping trailer didn't bother to give my riding buddy any room as he went past. ...only to pull into his driveway less than 3mi up the road.

Other than that, lots of polite people out today.

M
Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #1551
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Guess its better than nothing

M
Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #1552
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
He needed a good course in anger management, would have saved him five. Hoping others learn along the way...
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #1553
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I've seen more motorcyclists do stupid, dangerous things in traffic then a simple bicyclist could ever dream of doing.
I didn't see this, but it beats anything I've seen a cyclist do in London. And London cyclists are the worst... In the UK, anyway. Or so they say.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #1554
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
He needed a good course in anger management, would have saved him five. Hoping others learn along the way...
LA now has some of the strictest laws on harassing cyclists. From one article:
The ordinance, which backers described as the toughest of its kind in the nation, makes it a crime for drivers to threaten cyclists verbally or physically, and allows victims of harassment to sue in civil court without waiting for the city to press criminal charges.
and
The new law allows cyclists to sue in civil court and collect up to three times their damages, plus attorney's fees.
The libertarian in me says this isn't necessary but as a cyclist who is occasionally - and I do mean rarely - hassled by drivers, I can see the need also. I think the actual amount awarded is $1,000 or up to triple damages -whichever is greater.

With all of the cyclists running video cameras ie GoPro on Contours, I'd be careful if I lived in LA. I suspect other cities will be quick to follow their lead also.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #1555
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
LA now has some of the strictest laws on harassing cyclists. From one article:
The ordinance, which backers described as the toughest of its kind in the nation, makes it a crime for drivers to threaten cyclists verbally or physically, and allows victims of harassment to sue in civil court without waiting for the city to press criminal charges.
and
The new law allows cyclists to sue in civil court and collect up to three times their damages, plus attorney's fees.
The libertarian in me says this isn't necessary but as a cyclist who is occasionally - and I do mean rarely - hassled by drivers, I can see the need also. I think the actual amount awarded is $1,000 or up to triple damages -whichever is greater.

With all of the cyclists running video cameras ie GoPro on Contours, I'd be careful if I lived in LA. I suspect other cities will be quick to follow their lead also.
So isn't it against the law to threaten or harass someone already?

As for the GoPro cameras, I doubt those guys are the ones to worry about unless you are an asshole driver. It wouldn't be a good idea to present evidence of yourself, as an asshole cyclist being a jerk, just prior to a car driver being a jerk back, and I doubt edited film would go over well.

Jim
Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #1556
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
So isn't it against the law to threaten or harass someone already?:

As for the GoPro cameras, I doubt those guys are the ones to worry about unless you are an asshole driver. It wouldn't be a good idea to present evidence of yourself, as an asshole cyclist being a jerk, just prior to a car driver being a jerk back, and I doubt edited film would go over well.:

Jim :
Most of the annoyance I've seen toward wheelmen is directed toward legal but arrogant behavior. I mean a guy doing 8 mph and taking a lane in a heavily congested fast travel artery. This causes a cagers to clump up mostly not knowing what the problem is until they get to the clog in the road - the wheelman.

As to rude cagers, I ride a lot both on a bicycle and a normal bike. I am pretty much 100% on two wheels until the weather makes the surface dicey. I never experience such rudeness moaned about by other locals to me and from at least one of the arrogant bitches on this thread.

My method is to ride in such a manner as to not annoy the cagers. I had a police once tell me that a good driver is a driver who never causes another driver to apply his brakes. I find that wise advice.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #1557
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I had a police once tell me that a good driver is a driver who never causes another driver to apply his brakes. I find that wise advice.
I agree, but I would say "change course or speed" instead of "apply his brakes." You can't always do it, but you should try.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #1558
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I agree, but I would say "change course or speed" instead of "apply his brakes." You can't always do it, but you should try.
That is the way I drive or ride always when possible! I guess that is why I find asshole drivers/riders so annoying!

Jim
Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #1559
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Yeah, same idea. I doubt there would be much if any rudeness shown to wheelmen if they took such a concept and made it their own. Well, I shouldn't say 'they' because I do.

With regular bikes, we have another issue - blowing 140 dB or shining ultra bright lights at folks won't gain you any more friends than the wheelman doing 8 mph and taking a major artery's lane.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #1560
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,996
Quote:
So isn't it against the law to threaten or harass someone already?

As for the GoPro cameras, I doubt those guys are the ones to worry about unless you are an asshole driver. It wouldn't be a good idea to present evidence of yourself, as an asshole cyclist being a jerk, just prior to a car driver being a jerk back, and I doubt edited film would go over well.

Jim
Jim - your logic and application of said logic is simply amazing.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote