Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #1576
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

During the day and during the week it isn't nearly as bad as on the weekend or in the AM/PM traffic time.

M

Yeah....if you can hit them during the "off hours" they are a lot of fun. Smooth pavment, good views, and you can haul ass without worrying about getting run down by a pickup truck.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #1577
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Yeah....if you can hit them during the "off hours" they are a lot of fun. Smooth pavment, good views, and you can haul ass without worrying about getting run down by a pickup truck.
In my case, its still 'entitled SUV driving soccer moms that are sipping a latte while talking on the phone.'

Pay attention? I'm *just* driving!

M
Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #1578
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,777
Thought we are allowed to nudge em off the road since Lance fell from grace? I keed! I keed!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #1579
C-47brett
El Guano!

Oddometer: 8
I'd love to be nicer to them if so many (not all) weren't such militant A-holes!

That being said ; isn't that what our big aluminum panniers are for?
Ker-thump!
(FYYFB)

Wheels: (3) GS Adv's, (3) Ducatis, (2) Hodakas, (6) other BMW + Yamaha/Harley/Honda
Wings: Pitts Special, T-6, C-47, Ju-52, Lear 45, Turbo Commander
C-47brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #1580
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-47brett View Post
I'd love to be nicer to them if so many (not all) weren't such militant A-holes!

That being said ; isn't that what our big aluminum panniers are for?
Ker-thump!
(FYYFB)
We're back to that are we?

Ya think there MAY be a reason we're militant? Just yesterday I had not one, but two a-holes being stupid on my ride. It gets old dealing with idiots so I try and limit the amount of stupidity then can engage in.

That may appear to be militant, but think about what you do on the MC amongst cars. Its really no different for me on a bicycle except for that thing on the right handlebar attached to an engine. You have one more option than I do for idiot avoidance: acceleration. Me? I'm stuck with em.

Since we're back at the top: come riding with me. Someone. ANYone. Ride a bit in my cycling shoes and you'll see exactly why there're certain behaviors from cyclists. I've put this offer out there every thread like this since 04 when I joined this website. Zero takers. Who's gonna be first?

M
Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #1581
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Thought we are allowed to nudge em off the road since Lance fell from grace? I keed! I keed!
Not funny:

I useta ride with his brother. Nice guy, minding his own business.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #1582
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
...and that's exactly the kind of shit I/we have to deal with on a daily basis. I'm riding along minding my own fucking business and some douchenozzle just HAS to try and fuck with me.

Its the same as someone driving down the freeway and intentionally running you off the road on your MC. Yeah, sounds like real fun till someone dies. Ha ha! LOADS of fucking laughs.

I really don't get why MOTORCYCLISTS don't get the whole concept of cycling. Its the same farging thing as riding a MC. We've got the same problems: SMIDSY-s, etc. We/I just do it without a motor.

M
Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #1583
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,768
I ride both. A 2 wheel addiction. I have only had one intentional vehicle altercation on the bike, and one in the motorcycle. Both times it was kids. At least the kids on the bicycle were seen by the police and have a ticket to explain. My bicycle can do a stoppie, with rim brakes. On the MC, I took a wild ride thru a ditch into a nice flower patch in a park. Yes, there were petunias and the like hanging off the motorbike.

Both cases had a good outcome, in that I was not hurt.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #1584
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:

Since we're back at the top: come riding with me. Someone. ANYone. Ride a bit in my cycling shoes and you'll see exactly why there're certain behaviors from cyclists. I've put this offer out there every thread like this since 04 when I joined this website. Zero takers. Who's gonna be first?

M
Would love to, but you are to far away, you are to to fast, and I have to much snow, which is why I would jump at the chance to ride anything with two wheels right now!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #1585
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
Would love to, but you are to far away, you are to to fast, and I have to much snow, which is why I would jump at the chance to ride anything with two wheels right now!
When I'm out riding with someone, I'm doing their speed. I'm not one of those guys that has something to prove.

If you're 5'7"-5'10" I have at least one extra bike that'll fit acceptably

M
Old 03-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #1586
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
When I'm out riding with someone, I'm doing their speed. I'm not one of those guys that has something to prove.

If you're 5'7"-5'10" I have at least one extra bike that'll fit acceptably

M

5' 8" 160, but you need to come up here where there is a bit less oxygen, you will probably end up in Yellowstone before I end up in Virginia. And I do treat bicyclists with respect, though they have the 5% idiot ratio as well.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #1587
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:

Ya think there MAY be a reason we're militant? Just yesterday I had not one, but two a-holes being stupid on my ride. It gets old dealing with idiots so I try and limit the amount of stupidity then can engage in.

That may appear to be militant, but think about what you do on the MC amongst cars. Its really no different for me on a bicycle except for that thing on the right handlebar attached to an engine. You have one more option than I do for idiot avoidance: acceleration. Me? I'm stuck with em.

M
I'll go, sign me up.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #1588
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
5' 8" 160, but you need to come up here where there is a bit less oxygen, you will probably end up in Yellowstone before I end up in Virginia. And I do treat bicyclists with respect, though they have the 5% idiot ratio as well.
You seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_-pCeBDTQBE

Miss WY. Don't miss winter.

I'm not sure riding TO the park (at least from Cody) is so smart. Riding IN the park probably not so bad. Just have to watch for the lookee loos.

M
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #1589
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
...and that's exactly the kind of shit I/we have to deal with on a daily basis. I'm riding along minding my own fucking business and some douchenozzle just HAS to try and fuck with me.

Its the same as someone driving down the freeway and intentionally running you off the road on your MC. Yeah, sounds like real fun till someone dies. Ha ha! LOADS of fucking laughs.

I really don't get why MOTORCYCLISTS don't get the whole concept of cycling. Its the same farging thing as riding a MC. We've got the same problems: SMIDSY-s, etc. We/I just do it without a motor.

M
There's something about cyclists that breeds this behavior, maybe it's a displaced homophobic reaction that lycra creates, or you're in my fucking way- I can't wait ten seconds to pass; whatever it is someone always blames it on the handful of cyclists that have no situational awareness. There are far fewer jerk off cyclists than there are jerk off drivers.

If I had a penny for everytime I've been told "saw this cyclist today in the middle of the road...." I don't know, I guess it's ok to hate cyclists for whatever reason one can justify. Substitute race, sex, religion, etc for cyclists and now you're commiting a hate crime. What kind of reaction would you create from the general public if you said "saw this Mexican on the road, thought about knocking him down with my saddle bag". It wouldn't and shouldn be tolerated, so why do we tolerate it in reference to cyclists?

I pay more registration and insurance fee's than most of the motoring public for the five vehicles I own, so don't give me the you don't get to play cuz you don't pay line. In the end nothing will change, every time I leave for work, or training I wonder if it is the last ride. Been thinking that way for 30 years, probably why I've survived.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #1590
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
There's something about cyclists that breeds this behavior, maybe it's a displaced homophobic reaction that lycra creates, or you're in my fucking way- I can't wait ten seconds to pass; whatever it is someone always blames it on the handful of cyclists that have no situational awareness. There are far fewer jerk off cyclists than there are jerk off drivers.

If I had a penny for everytime I've been told "saw this cyclist today in the middle of the road...." I don't know, I guess it's ok to hate cyclists for whatever reason one can justify. Substitute race, sex, religion, etc for cyclists and now you're commiting a hate crime. What kind of reaction would you create from the general public if you said "saw this Mexican on the road, thought about knocking him down with my saddle bag". It wouldn't and shouldn be tolerated, so why do we tolerate it in reference to cyclists?

I pay more registration and insurance fee's than most of the motoring public for the five vehicles I own, so don't give me the you don't get to play cuz you don't pay line. In the end nothing will change, every time I leave for work, or training I wonder if it is the last ride. Been thinking that way for 30 years, probably why I've survived.
I've been doing this for 20+ years myself. Its gotten worse lately.

As much as we preach anti-bullying in schools, I get bullied frequently on the road. How's it make you feel to know you're screwing with someone that can't defend themselves? Make you feel superior?

Somehow, I 'deserve' what I'm getting?!

Talk about fucked up in the head!

I don't know what to do to 'fix' things, but maybe discussing things here is a start.

M