That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,994
read me

M
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #1592
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,780
There is another factor in play here. Many car drivers are so mentally limited that the can not differentiate between those who lost their license and have no other way to get around and those who ride by choice. TV is conditioning people to think the have the right to abuse and punish others, they deserve it. There is a decided lack of compassion and tolerance.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #1593
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_-pCeBDTQBE

Miss WY. Don't miss winter.

I'm not sure riding TO the park (at least from Cody) is so smart. Riding IN the park probably not so bad. Just have to watch for the lookee loos.

M
Nice video, two things, the I got a spare bike line, I imagine if I showed up you'd be on a carbon BMC and the spare bike would be a Schwinn Varsity, complete with rust. Now if you showed up here I could probably find a spare carbon Fuji. Still think you're scared of oxygen deprivation. And riding from the East Gate up to the Lake is pretty nice if you don't mind 12 miles of sustained climb. Pretty sure you could keep up with a old man.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #1594
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
There's something about cyclists that breeds this behavior, maybe it's a displaced homophobic reaction that lycra creates, or you're in my fucking way- I can't wait ten seconds to pass; whatever it is someone always blames it on the handful of cyclists that have no situational awareness. There are far fewer jerk off cyclists than there are jerk off drivers.

If I had a penny for everytime I've been told "saw this cyclist today in the middle of the road...." I don't know, I guess it's ok to hate cyclists for whatever reason one can justify. Substitute race, sex, religion, etc for cyclists and now you're commiting a hate crime. What kind of reaction would you create from the general public if you said "saw this Mexican on the road, thought about knocking him down with my saddle bag". It wouldn't and shouldn be tolerated, so why do we tolerate it in reference to cyclists?

I pay more registration and insurance fee's than most of the motoring public for the five vehicles I own, so don't give me the you don't get to play cuz you don't pay line. In the end nothing will change, every time I leave for work, or training I wonder if it is the last ride. Been thinking that way for 30 years, probably why I've survived.
I've started using a camera when I ride - and I try to be selective about the roads I ride. If you've been in Ahwatukee, you may be familiar with Pecos, west of I-10. Nice wide shoulders, 2 lanes each way yet invariably, someone will cut close to me just for the hell of it.

Today's ride was uneventful - I made two left turns, used (proper) hand signals when a gap presented itself and one driver in particular slowed enough to let me cut over. I always raise my hand as a gesture of "thank you".

I did a 250-mile ride two Saturdays ago. When there's traffic coming behind me and traffic coming towards me, I'll move more out into the lane. That sends a clear message to the vehicle behind me that it's not safe to pass.

When I did that, guess how many vehicles blew their horns at me as a sign of displeasure. None - nada - not a single one.

On the other hand, I rode some with guys who ride as far right as possible all the time. I was out in front and it's tough to see behind me - the other guys were blocking my view. Even in the same situation as above, they stayed to the far right. When that happens, cars will squeeze by and many will blow their horns. I lost count of how many times that occurred.

To several's point, we're our own worst enemies. At about the 245 mile point, after 19 hours of riding, we found ourselves near the finish at Casa Grande and were on a street that was one-lane that was heavily curbed on each side of the lane. It was also too narrow for cars to pass.

Even though it was just after midnight, several cars stacked up behind us. There are few times when I'll pull over and let traffic clear - that's certainly one of them. The other two guys I was with were oblivious and stayed where they were despite one little teenage asshole blowing his horn for two solid blocks. I let the little shit go by - the other two riders didn't.

I may re-think my ultra rides. Too many distracted drivers, too many assholes. I have one more 1200-km event in Texas (750 miles with a 90-hour limit) in May and then I may just stick to known roads, club rides and special events after that. Dunno know yet.

Oh yeah - if you're a motorcycle rider, to Gummee's point, you're as much at risk as cyclists. Every morning, during drive time here in Phoenix, there's always an accident mentioned on the radio that's either a cyclist, a motorcyclist or both. Every morning.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #1595
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Pay attention? I'm *just* driving!

M
Sadly, I have actually heard that exact phrase uttered by a little blonde hottie who was being screamed at by a guy she had just cut off (severely) - that was her defense....something to the effect of "calm down, I was *just* driving".:.. And she was completely, utterly serious.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #1596
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Saw this pic and it reinforced 'where MCs come from.'

Lots of in this pic.

M
Old 03-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #1597
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
[QUOTE=k7;20950726]I've started using a camera when I ride - and I try to be selective about the roads I ride. If you've been in Ahwatukee, you may be familiar with Pecos, west of I-10. Nice wide shoulders, 2 lanes each way yet invariably, someone will cut close to me just for the hell of it.

I used to live off of 30th Ave just north of Pecos after it turns to dirt. I went through a phase of being tired of dealing with the Tukee traffic and spent most of my time on the cross bike exploring the dirt roads on the res. Made it out to the west side of the Estrella range via dirt road, it was a nice change.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #1598
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,933
Quote:
I used to live off of 30th Ave just north of Pecos after it turns to dirt. I went through a phase of being tired of dealing with the Tukee traffic and spent most of my time on the cross bike exploring the dirt roads on the res. Made it out to the west side of the Estrella range via dirt road, it was a nice change.
Yep - you can make it to the far west end of South Mt quite easily and then go cross-country into the park itself to pick up the ....San Juan loop? ...as well as the far end of the Estralla range. It's quite nice this time of the year!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #1599
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-47brett View Post
I'd love to be nicer to them if so many (not all) weren't such militant A-holes!

That being said ; isn't that what our big aluminum panniers are for?
Ker-thump!
(FYYFB)
Fuck you. You take a 20mph tumble off your bicycle and it could mean your death. Asshole.

Just because you're inconvenienced. I'm sure you'd love it if people started doing that shit to you with their F250s.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #1600
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Fuck you. You take a 20mph tumble off your bicycle and it could mean your death. Asshole.

Just because you're inconvenienced. I'm sure you'd love it if people started doing that shit to you with their F250s.
You'll never be able to effect change in mouth breathing cocksuckers such as this throwback. She's obviously a troll who finds power behind anonymous internet postings, this behavior would never present itself in an in person meeting.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #1601
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,995
Quote:
You'll never be able to effect change in mouth breathing cocksuckers such as this throwback. She's obviously a troll who finds power behind anonymous internet postings, this behavior would never present itself in an in person meeting.
True. Sometimes I wish we had some kind of asshole detector when we're out riding.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #1602
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
True. Sometimes I wish we had some kind of asshole detector when we're out riding.
Mine's always going off so I ignore it.

M
Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #1603
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Mine's always going off so I ignore it.

M
Maybe if you move it further away from yourself.......................................... ....

Sorry,
JK,
I just couldn't let that one slide.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #1604
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
bikes, bikes, bikes?

we love bikes in europe!

2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #1605
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Saw this pic and it reinforced 'where MCs come from.
Lots of in this pic.

M
Updates available.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote