Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #166
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

I didn't flip. You did. You said that commercial vehicles paid the road tax and then believed that was what was paying for maintenance.
Fuel taxes do pay for more of the road construction than other taxes. Probably combined.
mmm, no, I didn't, Fe Man said something to that avail.
Now, the thing about fuel taxes is being disputed quite eloquently in the link I provided.
There's lies, damn lies and then there's statistics.

Quote:
why can't I ride a moto on the bike paths? They have been paid for by all of us. It's certainly safer for all involved than a bicycle in a 45 mph zone mixing it up with 3,000# cars and trucks.
There are lots of cool shortcuts and I really want to ride on them. It's my right. It would save gas and make some more room on the streets for cars. Besides, most of the cars don't like motos on the streets either.
First, it is not your right if the law says you can't, which is why bicycles and pedestrians are not allowed on the interstate. Second, there are ways to make it easier, safer and faster for motorcycles to go through traffic and they work fine in other places. Bikes in bus lanes (provided there is any bus lanes), lane sharing or filtering and that space would have to be shared with bicyclists if there is no bicycle paths.
Out in the country side it's not uncommon for bikes and motos to share the off road paths in Britain, Shirley we can too since we have so much more space than they do.

See, not hard, easy!

I'm hungry so I'm not going to keep on going. It's getting on the cool side up here North, but I will say that the bicycles I saw out today was all staying to the right and I enjoyed the tight lycra pants on the girls and my heated grips
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #167
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Have not read the entire thread. Has the bicyclist's signal for making a right hand turn been brought up yet?
Every time I see someone do this raise-the-left-hand-to-indicate-a-right-hand-turn idiocy I just wince in pain. It's supposed to be marginally safer to have keep the right hand, instead of only the left, on the bars while turning right.... ok so far .... but in the real world it's just plain idiocy. Ask a random dozen dinner guests some time what a left hand raised while on two wheels indicates and more than half of them, every time, will tell you it's for a left turn. Even add that the arm is bent at the elbow... won't make a difference. Doesn't matter that they're wrong. Doesn't matter that the law says otherwise. What matters is that all these "wrong" drivers are going to be behind, ahead, and alongside of you in a massive lumbering cage and you'd damn well better be on the same "page" with them.

svejkovat screwed with this post 10-18-2011 at 10:54 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #168
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat View Post
Have not read the entire thread. Has the bicyclist's signal for making a right hand turn been brought up yet?
Every time I see someone do this raise-the-left-hand-to-indicate-a-right-hand-turn idiocy I just wince in pain. It's supposed to be marginally safer to have keep the right hand, instead of only the left, on the bars while turning right.... ok so far .... but in the real world it's just plain idiocy. Ask a random dozen dinner guests some time what a left hand raised while on two wheels indicates and more than half of them, every time, will tell you it's for a left turn. Even add that the arm is bent at the elbow... won't make a difference. Doesn't matter that they're wrong. Doesn't matter that the law says otherwise. What matters is that tonight and tomorrow and then next day they will be driving behind, ahead, and alongside of you in a massive lumbering cage and you'd damn well better be on the same "page" with them.
I think it stems from the time when cars had no indicators and it's what you're supposed to do when you're on a motorcycle with no indicators too. I always use my right arm to indicate a right turn. Old habit from home.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #169
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Every time I see someone do this raise-the-left-hand-to-indicate-a-right-hand-turn idiocy I just wince in pain. It's supposed to be marginally safer to have keep the right hand, instead of only the left, on the bars while turning right.... ok so far .... but in the real world it's just plain idiocy. Ask a random dozen dinner guests some time what a left hand raised while on two wheels indicates and more than half of them, every time, will tell you it's for a left turn. Even add that the arm is bent at the elbow... won't make a difference. Doesn't matter that they're wrong. Doesn't matter that the law says otherwise. What matters is that all these "wrong" drivers are going to be behind, ahead, and alongside of you in a massive lumbering cage and you'd damn well better be on the same "page" with them.
People are usually friendly enough to wave baqck.
It's happened on a few occasions.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #170
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Fixed for what cagers may see in motorcyclists...
if a motorcyclist is traveling at half the speed limit, he shoud GTFO of everyone else's way, too. so should a car, truck, etc. if you are holding people up, the considerate thing to do is pull over and let the line of cars/trucks/motorcycles/bicycles/whatever behind you pass you. doesn't matter what you are driving/riding.

had a new one yesterday...

some kid was skateboarding down penn ave (busy 2 lane road with cars parked on both sides)...in the middle of the lane...holding everyone else up.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #171
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

some kid was skateboarding down penn ave (busy 2 lane road with cars parked on both sides)...in the middle of the lane...holding everyone else up.
You gonna buzz him and/or blow diesel smoke all over him?

M
Old 10-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #172
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

He's just practicing for when he gets his shinny new bicycle next Christmas.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #173
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
nope. i don't think that video posted earlier was cool either.

it is not cool to endanger someone. not even cool to splash them or blow smoke on them or buzz them or anything like that.

but that doesn't change the fact that it is also not cool...but is extremely selfish...to hold up many other people to satisfy your own individual desires/needs in a shared space like a public road.

actually share the road with others. don't just think everyone else should share the road with you.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #174
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally posted by Gummee!
For the record, I had no choice but to blow smoke. It was uphill. This was an older diesel, and they smoke going uphill. If I were following someone downhill (skateboard), I could coast past to avoid smoke.

The point is the bicycles were inconsiderate, and karma caught up with them.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #175
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanzed View Post
Out in the country side it's not uncommon for bikes and motos to share the off road paths in Britain, Shirley we can too since we have so much more space than they do.

and quit calling me Shirley!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #176
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
and quit calling me Shirley!

I hoped you picked that one up
Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #177
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoma View Post
I'm working in Australia after living in America and one thing I am amazed at here is the fact they allow cyclists on the freeways (sometimes in very large packs).
Where? Most of the freeways that I've seen have signs specifically saying that bicycles are prohibited.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #178
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster View Post
Where? Most of the freeways that I've seen have signs specifically saying that bicycles are prohibited.
According to the U.S. DOT http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...d/freeways.htm

"There are no Federal laws or regulations that prohibit bicycle use on Interstate highways or other freeways. Although a State may prohibit bicycles on freeways, prohibition is not a Federal requirement. Most western States allow bicycles to use Interstate highways or other freeways. Many of these States restrict bicycle use in urban or other congested areas. In some locations, the Interstate highway or other freeway may be the only reasonable route, or may be preferred compared to other steep, narrow, or winding routes. A State should consider safety and traffic concerns along the freeway and along alternative routes when considering whether or not to allow bicyclists to use freeways."
Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #179
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
I've ridden tens of thousands of miles on bikes, solo and with large groups. When I come upon a cyclist on a one-lane road that is winding or otherwise tricky to get into the other lane, I slow behind the cyclist until I know he/she knows I'm there. I can then tell if they know what they're doing. If they know what they're doing, they hold their line and I can pass with as little as a couple feet. If they don't know what they're doing, I get at least a car width room before I pass.

On a motorcycle, no need to even slow down. Just move to the left of the lane and keep rolling.
Agree. Usually I can tell if they know what they are doing and if they do, they will hold their line. Just keep rolling on then. If they don't, then sometimes I will "chirp" the horn once when back a couple hundred feet as they can hear without suprise and then gauge their response. If they don't hold a steady line then they are jerks and then deal with a pass when safe.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #180
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:

Ummn..all you've done here is prove who the real idiots really are for not knowing what the universally accepted signs are for vehicles without signals. I've never seen a Drivers licensing test/instruction book/ or other means of communicating this FACT that did not have this information in it as part of licensing qualification.
"Idiotic" in the "real world" I wont argue but, it's even more idiotic for any vehicle operator to not know these universal signs and what they mean.
Actually, it's only universal in Countries where people drive on the right hand side of the road. (I imagine it's just the opposite for you left lane countries???)(posting before the morning coffee has kicked in, I'm confusing myself)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote