ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #1891
g容g
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,184
just new to bicycles myself & I used to wonder why bicyclists come off as (occasionally) angry.. I'm never angry on my m/c...

Now I know. Drivers, in New England at least, are completely clueless around bicycles (in the best case) and down right rude / dangerous (in the worst case).

wtf is wrong w/ people in cars not being willing to share the road?

I guess no "culture" of bicycles in the US leads to an attitude of if it isn't powered by gas, it doesn't belong?

__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #1892
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,123
No, the cager argument where I am is that fuel taxes pay for the roads so they are the domain of the engine powered vehicle.
__________________
Why be born again when you can just grow up?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #1893
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Dood! You're on a 4-lane road! LOTS of room. That's a super highway compared to roads around here.

...now, if there're other roads that go roughly the same place without dealing with traffic, I'll take those. I don't intentionally go looking for problems, but somehow they sure seem to find me! See the post about the lady in the Baja for example.

M
Four very narrow lanes with high speed traffic, and lots of it, and no shoulders. I am not a wimp, but no way I am riding on this road. I live on it, so I have to go a minimum of 2 blocks to get to side roads where it is reasonably safe to ride.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #1894
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Four very narrow lanes with high speed traffic, and lots of it, and no shoulders. I am not a wimp, but no way I am riding on this road. I live on it, so I have to go a minimum of 2 blocks to get to side roads where it is reasonably safe to ride.

Jim
No worries man.

When are y'all coming out here to the cow-fields to go toodle around with me?

I've got a very flat hour-long loop at 'recovery day' speeds that y'all would probably do fine on.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #1895
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
No worries man.

When are y'all coming out here to the cow-fields to go toodle around with me?

I've got a very flat hour-long loop at 'recovery day' speeds that y'all would probably do fine on.

M
Soon, we have been getting back up to speed theses last couple weeks. My wife hates the cold.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #1896
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,843
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=28181

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #1897
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
No, the cager argument where I am is that fuel taxes pay for the roads so they are the domain of the engine powered vehicle.
Fuel taxes don't come close to paying the cost of roads. Your google-fu must be weak today since there are dozens of studies that say essentially the same.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #1898
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Fuel taxes don't come close to paying the cost of roads. Your google-fu must be weak today since there are dozens of studies that say essentially the same.
&*#&^W#QQ& you people! Can't you *#*#*#8 read?

I said the cager argument you dumb shit. I didn't say it was mine nor do I need your snide *#*# comments to that end.
__________________
Why be born again when you can just grow up?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #1899
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
You don't go 60 mph. You proceed as conditions permit which means not doing 60 mph in the midst of slow speed traffic or among peds.

It's a difficult thing to face but sometimes you can't get your way. The world won't accommodate all your needs. I don't like it either, but that's the way of things.
Feexed!

That analogy goes both ways...See what I did there?
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #1900
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Yes, I think living in peace with cyclists is more important than having my own way on the roads all the time.
Feexed again!
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #1901
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
&*#&^W#QQ& you people! Can't you *#*#*#8 read?

I said the cager argument you dumb shit. I didn't say it was mine nor do I need your snide *#*# comments to that end.
You're taking this too seriously.

Next thing we know, you'll want to ban electic cars since they don't pay fuel taxes.

Opps... I did it again.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #1902
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
No, the cager argument where I am is that fuel taxes pay for the roads so they are the domain of the engine powered vehicle.
That argument is lame...How many cyclists do you know who don't own a cage of some sort?

Besides here in Virginia our unlustrious Governor just did away with the fuel tax and increased the sales tax. Now people who don't even own a cage or even a bicycle, pay road taxes.
So using your argument, pedestrians should now be able to walk in the travel lanes here. Kids should be able to ride their skateboards and razor scooters in the travel lanes here...
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #1903
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
&*#&^W#QQ& you people! Can't you *#*#*#8 read?

I said the cager argument you dumb shit. I didn't say it was mine nor do I need your snide *#*# comments to that end.
What I want to know is....


Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Looks like we've run out of argument.
What happened to this? Round two...hundred?
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #1904
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,507


__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #1905
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
You're taking this too seriously.

Next thing we know, you'll want to ban electic cars since they don't pay fuel taxes.

Opps... I did it again.
Forgot that one. Our Dumbass Govna also wants hybrid vehicles to pay an extra $100 a year in registration fees because they get good fuel mileage...thieving fooker!
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014