Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #181
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,692

From an elementary school web page for students: http://www.oakknollschool.com/school/bike_safety_page/

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #182
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
I am a bit of a traditionalist, and most of the time, use the regular hand signals that everyone is/was supposed to learn.
But I think there is certainly a case to be made that directly pointing in the direction you're going can be clearer, especially to those who forgot or never knew the "correct" hand signals.
I can't really say it's a habit carryover from the moto, but on the bicycle, I usually leave my right hand on the bar.

(the other way around, aspects of my bike habits are less desirable on the moto, as the right hand lever is the rear brake on the bike, not necessarily the best approach for slowing the moto on soft ground).
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #183
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

From an elementary school web page for students: http://www.oakknollschool.com/school/bike_safety_page/

Jim
Good to know they've updated things. (thanks!) I take back 1/2 of what I posted above.
I do have to wonder WHY they want to confuse sheeple though. (perhaps to help the stupid sheeple who couldn't figure out the old standards?!)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #184
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Good to know they've updated things. (thanks!) I take back 1/2 of what I posted above.
I do have to wonder WHY they want to confuse sheeple though. (perhaps to help the stupid sheeple who couldn't figure out the old standards?!)
Back home a raised left hand means "Stopping!" and since it's been a while since I took my US licenses it's good to get them refreshed, but, RC, you're pretty ornery before your first cup of morning Joe

The lowered hand for "Stopping!" is pretty hard for drivers to see IMO, well, apart from that I've never seen anyone using it. That's not entirely true, did see a H-D guy on a rat bike using it when he braked......of course I ran him over since I had already forgotten what those hand signal means since I left the driving test 5 minutes before, just like everyone else in the US
Offblnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #185
hrolf
neophyte

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
What is the proper way to pass a bicyclist going in the same direction that you are?

I've passed a few and just moved over to the left side of my lane while they are on the right side.

Should I actually move over into the other lane?

Speaking as an urban cyclist who is used to being nearly run down by buses: even if you hold the center of the lane -- on the straights, anyway -- you aren't bothering me, at least.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #186
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrolf View Post
Speaking as an urban cyclist who is used to being nearly run down by buses: even if you hold the center of the lane -- on the straights, anyway -- you aren't bothering me, at least.
In fact, if you go by fast enough you kinda suck me along for a hundred yards or so. Nothing better than being pased by half a dozen dump trucks at high speed. They punch a hole in the wind I could pull a house through.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #187
hrolf
neophyte

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
In fact, if you go by fast enough you kinda suck me along for a hundred yards or so. Nothing better than being pased by half a dozen dump trucks at high speed. They punch a hole in the wind I could pull a house through.
True enough. Man MBTA busses hate it when you draft them, though that's all the more reason to do it.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #188
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,816
Speaking of drafting; if you are able to keep up with traffic, then you can ride anywhere in the lane you like. I won't even try to pass.

I used to get beside bicyclists to tell them how fast they were going. With today's electronics, their speedo is probably more acurate than mine...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #189
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
You may get tired of hearing about it because you don't really seem to understand where the money to build most roads comes from.
The bulk of it comes from taxes on gasoline and fuel.

Your statement about "road taxes" and the only vehicles that pay it are commercial vehicles shows your lack of homework on the subject, so you may want to sit back and listen to the "whine" a little more.
That's like assuming cyclists don't drive tens of thousands of miles a year, that also kinda begs the question of whether drivers of larger, less fuel efficient vehicles do, indeed, own the road.

Then we have to factor in the amount of wear those larger gas hogs do to the road vs. cyclists and we're kinda back where we started.

Everybody owns the road. Deal with it.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:30 AM   #190
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
I am a bit of a traditionalist, and most of the time, use the regular hand signals that everyone is/was supposed to learn.
But I think there is certainly a case to be made that directly pointing in the direction you're going can be clearer, especially to those who forgot or never knew the "correct" hand signals.
I can't really say it's a habit carryover from the moto, but on the bicycle, I usually leave my right hand on the bar.

(the other way around, aspects of my bike habits are less desirable on the moto, as the right hand lever is the rear brake on the bike, not necessarily the best approach for slowing the moto on soft ground).
I figured every cyclist who also rode motos switched the brake cables over to moto style on their bikes.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #191
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Speaking of drafting; if you are able to keep up with traffic, then you can ride anywhere in the lane you like. I won't even try to pass.

I used to get beside bicyclists to tell them how fast they were going. With today's electronics, their gps/power meter is probably more acurate than mine...
fixt

M
Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #192
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
I figured every cyclist who also rode motos switched the brake cables over to moto style on their bikes.
Nope. Well... sorta. My 2 cross bikes have em moto style. The other 4 don't.

Never had an issue with em being 2 different ways.

M
Old 10-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #193
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,659
Quote:

Everybody owns the road. Deal with it.
Bingo! Thread over.

Quote:
Why?

This diagram

is specifically for two wheeled vehicles. You can't use your right arm in a cage and it's not the best option on a motorcycle.
On occasion I will use the hand down(slow/stop) on the motorcycle when traffic in front of me slows quickly.

bwalsh screwed with this post 10-21-2011 at 05:32 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #194
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Bingo! Thread over.

Why?

This diagram

is specifically for bicycles. You can't use your right arm in a cage or an a motorcycle.
On occasion I will use the hand down(slow/stop) on the motorcycle when traffic in front of me slows quickly.
That is why the right turn has an OR when showing the right hand. Use on a motorcycle would OBVIOUSLT preclude the use of the right hand under normal circumstances. Otherwise the diagram is accurate for motorcycles.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #195
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Otherwise the diagram is accurate for motorcycles.

Jim
OK! You got me on that one. I edited the previous post to be a little more accurate.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote