Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #2011
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You can say anything you want to em as long as you're smiling and waving.

They're TRYING to make you mad. IME if you don't buy into their game, it turns the tables on em. They end up mad, you stay alive.

M
Words to live by.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #2012
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Words to live by.
Its tough. I still struggle with it too. ...and I've been saying that for darn near 20 years now.

When I get REALLY hot is when someone effs with my SO when she's riding with me. Its really really tough to smile and wave in that situation. DAMHIK

M
Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #2013
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
from Adventure Journal:

There’s good news and there’s bad news. The bad news is that we now live in a surveillance state. That’s the good news, too, I suppose — it led to the capture/death of the Boston bombers and it might lead to the arrest of an enraged BMW driver, who chased a cyclist, cornered him, pinned him against a dumpster, and then fled the scene. The altercation started on April 3 on Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills, when the two had a confrontation. “During the incident, the bicyclist punched the driver in the face,” said Beverly Hills Police Lt. Lincoln Hoshino. “Subsequently, the driver of the vehicle threatened to kill the victim, and followed him into an alley in the 9000 block of Wilshire Boulevard…[and] the driver intentionally rammed the bicyclist with his vehicle, pinning (the victim) to a metal rolling trash bin.”
Police are looking for a mid-30s Caucasian or Middle Eastern man with dark hair, dark eyes, and slender frame. The Beamer is a white 2008 328i, white.

Reason 4003A to smile and wave when some does something stupid.

M
Yeah, though I do not condone the driver's actions in the least, I also do not condone the violence done by the rider either. Two wrongs put both in jeopardy!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #2014
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I wonder who threw the first punch? If I'm a driver and anyone strikes me, I suspect I'd use any tool at hand to protect myself.
If someone punched you and a knife was close by, would you use that to protect yourself?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #2015
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
If someone punched you and a knife was close by, would you use that to protect yourself?

Jim

PS Ironic comment considering your sigline!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #2016
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,458
Raw: California driver sought for ramming bike

_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #2017
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
Raw: California driver sought for ramming bike
Autoplay is a no-no!

Jim
Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #2018
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Autoplay is a no-no!

Jim
It's just a really long .gif..........

hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #2019
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
It depends! There are plenty of people out there that could kill me with their fists. How many punches should I take before I pick up a weapon?

Jim

PS Ironic comment considering your sigline!
For you Jim, one in the mouth from a seasoned pro then you can justify murder however your self-righteous mind likes. The rest would be decided in court.

You need a good dose of humility, if that is even possible.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #2020
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
For you Jim, one in the mouth from a seasoned pro then you can justify murder however your self-righteous mind likes. The rest would be decided in court.

+1

lol
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #2021
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:

Wow, take it straight to murder? Nothing like taking it to the extreme huh?

If some big fuck starts kicking my ass I do not know where he will stop. I will do whatever it takes to stop him. If a knife is what I have, a knife is what I will use!

We are not children, fighting has consequences. I do not know your intentions, which may well include beating me to death. I will take my chances with the law rather than trusting an unknown to stop before seriously injuring me.

If that is what you call inapropriate use of force, you are either a total badass, or a moron.

Jim
Old 04-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #2022
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

This is from another forum:

Quote:
We had a very scary group ride last night!

There was about 30 riders that gathered last night for our weekly hammerfest, which takes place in a more rural part of Brevard county with not much traffic. Everything was going along just fine and we had a double paceline going at about 28 mph when this guy driving a dually pulling a very large boat decides to pass us with an oncoming car. He had to move over close to us and he forced the other driver off the road...but this wasn't the really bad part. He continued to pass us with two more cars coming towards us, but he didn't care and just keep going and then moved right into our paceline and the boat hit one of our riders. Amazingly, he was the only person that went down...but the truck driver sped off and didn't stop.

One of the drivers that was coming towards us saw the whole thing and turned around and chased the guy while calling 911. The fire and rescue truck showed up quickly and was shortly followed by an ambulance and several police officers. At this point, the driver hasn't been charged with anything and understandably, we are all livid as this guy could have easily taken the life of a rider or even one of the car drivers. Fortunately, we have a captain of our local police department that was riding with us and he his pursing the matter.

As for the guy that was hit, he has a good amount of road rash and he hit the deck hard enough to crack his helmet, but he is doing okay.

I was only about two riders behind the guy who was hit and saw the whole thing happen and was thinking I was about to go down with the way the truck was moving towards us. Such a scary sight and I'm grateful to be here typing this today.
Be careful out there!

M
Old 04-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #2023
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,659
Quote:
No. I'm not stupid enough to let anyone get inside my car/window/etc. And a knife? Nearby? I'm one of those old guys who has always carried a small knife but I'm damn sure not proficient with it unless you need a packaged opened.

I did have a near run in with a cyclist about 8 years ago. He grabbed his pump and brought it back like he was going to hit me with it. A pump....might as well a purse. I think I disarmed his anger when I laughed at him.

I have hadn't any significant issues of the bike yet. There was an old lady on a cellphone who turned left in front of me a few weeks back. She was so engaged on the call that she never even saw me. Got that one on video which I tend to use for rides under 50 miles. For rides over 50, I don't bother....batteries aren't good for more than a couple of hours.

Be safe....headed to the Lone Star state for a big ride that starts next week.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #2024
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

speaking of being safe:

study shows that drivers don't see more than 1 in 5 cyclists

M
Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #2025
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Spot the differences between EUR and the US:

That line of cars? In the US they would have all been extremely pissed off and honking. The 3rd guy back would have already passed into a blind corner and the truck would be inching up the back of the pack's ass revving his engine trying to spew diesel smoke at em.

EUR? Hey look! Its a pro team out training! Kewl.

M