Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #196
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Speaking of drafting; if you are able to keep up with traffic, then you can ride anywhere in the lane you like. I won't even try to pass.

I used to get beside bicyclists to tell them how fast they were going. With today's electronics, their speedo is probably more acurate than mine...
Hey! Thanks for flashing me the four fingers a while back. Felt close to 40, but I wasn't sure.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #197
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post

Everybody owns the road. Deal with it.

Especially me. I own it the most.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #198
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Ummn..all you've done here is prove who the real idiots really are for not knowing what the universally accepted signs are for vehicles without signals.
... and wibni?

Sorry there. When my weight disadvantage is approx 150 to 1 (auto to bicycle) I tend to favor pragmatism over semantics. If there are sufficient numbers of "idiots" at the wheel who might confuse my intentions (and there indisputably are... just ask them as I suggested), regardless of how much you or I would like them to know otherwise, I'd be an even greater idiot to stand on principle amid them in open traffic.

svejkovat screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 11:51 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #199
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat View Post
... and wibni?

Sorry there. When my weight disadvantage is approx 150 to 1 (auto to bicycle) I tend to favor pragmatism over semantics. If there are sufficient numbers of "idiots" at the wheel who might confuse my intentions (and there indisputably are... just ask them as I suggested), regardless of how much you or I would like them to know otherwise, I'd be an even greater idiot to stand on principle amid them in open traffic.
Point made!

B.T.W. what is "wibni"? (I can figure out I'm the idiot now but, would still like to know the rest)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #200
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

Why?
No reason, just an assumption because it works well for me. One less thing to think about.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #201
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
No reason, just an assumption because it works well for me. One less thing to think about.
Huh. Never thought about it. I like mixing it up.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:02 AM   #202
40mikemike
Diapers to pull ups

Oddometer: 6
Awww sh:t I'll bite... In my funny opinions way
I hope I can offend those who will allow themselves to be offended!
Good to see lots of people see the disturbing trend of cycling ass hats stop signs, and "hey this winding double lane hill is an excellent place for our three abrest quorum."

I bike, cycle, drive, walk, sometimes with pepper-spray, sometimes with a 32, and I'm not passive-aggressive, more of a violence of action guy...
...If your cycling impedes my safety as in, I'm on a highway being slowed by your "right to peddle" you better pray mr semi-truck isn't bearing down on my rearview mirror! Other than that I get it your an a-hole you "got me" ( a fellow cyclist btw ) and I have to wait to safely pass you, based on my impetus not to risk your life for my "right" to go 55

The weapons mainly for dogs off the leash, you know the innocent beautiful rotweiler pup who wouldn't harm a fly. But take into account the fact that there may be some dude willing to out you if you risk their/families life. Also, getting hurtful metal shit hurled at you as the cage you pissed off passes you, so fast you only get hit with his road coin and can't read his tags-- something the moral "right to pedal" guy needs think about.
(save to say if I ever see a guy unicycling to his next phish concert, you better bet I'm going to try my best Bam Margera drop kick!) ahem I digress,

Most open road cyclists bike for exercise and the lifestyle culture (all in hopes that they will get to be the leader, the fat gutted man in all yellow leading the pack on their $4000.00 1 oz bike one day).
Allas, most of these folks are not retarded lane hogs and realize the cage or bike can kill them, however like the motor biker, sometimes the hooligan comes out, ( usually the "yellow-gut" feeling his wild oats-endorphin rush kick in on the downhill, where the lane, and road lines get a little more "ownership", or when the top o the hill is in site and it's time to "giv'r" Lance Armstrong style, (dude from Denmark you can fill in your cycling superstar for Lance, don't wanna piss off a euro w my Amero-centric rant. )

To these open roader types they feel they have more "title" to the road cause they are exercising, and/ or getting ready for the big "TRI" but most are cool they get it and stay to the side whenever applicable!

Now as for the big city cyclist those dudes do actually own the road for reals, till you see one going ass over tea kettle because the cage went right on red and they were in no stop sign/Fu$&er better stop for me mode. Saw this in Seattle it was awesome, cyclist was saved by his waterproof duffle bag, did a 180 airborne, no doubt holding the citys next bike lane plans, which was why he was going so fast.

And don't even get me started on the flash mob hippy all world on cycle impromptu " road rallies"

40mikemike screwed with this post 10-28-2011 at 02:13 AM
40mikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 AM   #203
sloweddy
Tree Hugger

Oddometer: 93
w.i.b.n.i.

B.T.W. what is "wibni"? (I can figure out I'm the idiot now but, would still like to know the rest)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wibni

Wouldn't It Be Nice If

(reply for Rivercreep Post#204

sloweddy screwed with this post 10-28-2011 at 02:52 AM Reason: clarification
sloweddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #204
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloweddy View Post

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wibni

Wouldn't It Be Nice If

(reply for Rivercreep Post#204
Thanks! I learned a new one.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #205
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,064
To add a govt study to some of the things I've learned over the years

M
Old 10-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #206
Wanterer
Adenturer

Oddometer: 58
bikes

I'm brand spankin new to the forum - thought I'd comment. I did not read all 13 or 18 pages of this thread so may be repeating others' thoughts

I ride a bicycle on the road - a lot. I think about bicycles interacting with cars - a lot. I could write a small book. I guess a unifying thought is there is a human being driving that bicycle, motorcycle, car, truck, or semi. Is that human being your father? Probably not - but it's somebody's father, or sister, or son, or teacher, or minister, or inmate, and so on.

Do you really want to risk someone's life just because you can? Yes, they may be doing something stupid and something you don't like. Would you be happy if you put them in the ER? Do you want someone to put your life at risk just because you are on a motorcycle and just because they can?

Wanterer screwed with this post 10-28-2011 at 06:03 PM Reason: mis-spelling
Wanterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #207
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanterer View Post
I'm brand spankin new to the forum - thought I'd comment. I did not read all 13 or 18 pages of this thread so may be repeating others' thoughts

I ride a bicycle on the road - a lot. I think about bicycles interacting with cars - a lot. I could write a small book. I guess a unifying thought is there is a human being driving that bicycle, motorcycle, car, truck, or semi. Is that human being your father? Probably not - but it's somebody's father, or sister, or son, or teacher, or minister, or inmate, and so on.

Do you really want to risk someone's life just because you can? Yes, they may be doing something stupid and something you don't like. Would you be happy if you put them in the ER? Do you want someone to put your life at risk just because you are on a motorcycle and just because they can?
F.W.I.W. When the oils/fuels run out, as lands become more populated, food supplies run low, etc. these people will become nothing more than competition. Hows THAT for a sobering though?

"Human flesh and blood is sacred, until there is no more food" - The Stranglers.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #208
Wanterer
Adenturer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
F.W.I.W. When the oils/fuels run out, as lands become more populated, food supplies run low, etc. these people will become nothing more than competition. Hows THAT for a sobering though?

"Human flesh and blood is sacred, until there is no more food" - The Stranglers.
Yup - I'm with ya. Dominance will be determined by any number of things - except the size of your vehicle!
Wanterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #209
hrolf
neophyte

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post

how hobbesean. No thank you.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #210
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
I've learned that most people seem to have no business operating a motor vehicle before having to ride a bicycle and/or a motorcycle for a government-mandated # of hours for every renewal. I drive, I ride motos, and I ride bicycles. On bicycles, I used to hug the curb, stay off the sidewalks, and generally observe the rules of the road. These days? Cagers can kiss my a$$ after:

- having a friend run down head-on, right in front of me, by some drunken idiot with a suspended license, who crossed from the other side of the road. The jagoff then tried to flee the scene, dragging my bicycle with.

- having two pinheads pull up RIGHT behind me, IN A BIKE LANE, and menace me with the front end of their 3000lb+ cage, while I was stopped at a redlight, then throw something at me when I didn't move.

- being buzzed by wackos who think it's funny to see how close they can blow past me at as high a rate of speed as their shitbox will muster while I'm hugging the curb. I even have had this happen when there are 2 other fekkin lanes available for cages to use in the same direction.

I take the lane if I have to ride in the road. Cagers bitch and honk as they go left to pass, but at least they give you space. The law does diddly crap, in my experience, when you report the above kind of behavior, and you may even get your ass chewed by cops or judges who feel that bikes have no place on the road. If the rabid cagers want to hit me and deal with my family and friends finding them later, that's their perogative. Otherwise, they can go around. I give them plenty of opportunity.

Otherwise, I ride the sidewalk. Pedestrians may bitch, but I'm a lot less likely to cause a serious injury or death by hitting someone at 10-15MPH with a 25lb bicycle than a cage is in hitting a cyclist at 45MPH+ with 2500lb+ of steel, rubber, and glass. I also pay attention to what I'm doing on a bicycle, rather than texting, eating, shooting the shit with my passengers, fiddling with the radio, fiddling with myself, or whatever the hell else it is that idiot cagers are up to besides driving.

Cagers can't even respect a bike lane, or curtail their drinking before getting behind the wheel, so F them! They can go around. They can go WAY around...in another freakin lane!

Taxes? If I also register and operate 4 other motor vehicles and 1 trailer every year, am I not paying more than an average share of taxes that go towards roads? I can't operate all 4 motor vehicles, the trailer, and a bicycle at the same time. Maybe you road-nazi cagers have figured out a way to do so, but until you share it with the rest of us, you don't have a leg to stand on. Your "road tax" argument is therefore moot. Come up with some better BS to sling.

Kommando screwed with this post 10-29-2011 at 11:32 AM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote