Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #2116
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
I've been riding some extremely friendly roads lately - credit to the people of Columbus OH for being level headed and good natured.

The vid reminded me of an interaction last week riding south on North High Street in CMH. High St is the main drag there, 4 lanes straight into down town and full of hazards including heavy use, busses, peds and parked cars. Sections where parking is allowed, the road narrows to 2 lanes.

Riding through a block long stretch with parked cars I moved into the left track of the only drivable lane. There was a car a reasonable distance behind me (like 50 ft) when I took ownership. I was spinning in the low 20's so an asshole would have gone ape shit.

Instead, the driver maintained the 50 ft for the duration. I moved back to right lane when park on street ended. The driver then pulled past me and passenger gave me the thumb . Maybe another rider who understood I was simply keeping everyone safe.

CMH also has a sweet MUT that parallels the Olentangy river. Here is my travel bike on trail

I learned of this builder when on extended travel in PDX. I had a folding Dahon Speed Pro at the time (great before airlines got really strict on luggage size.)

I'm still on the Bike Friday newsletter, this month had info on bike show some of you would enjoy if in the area:

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #2117
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M

THIS machine does...even without the peddles.

I got to peddle one of these last year. I may have to retire the Stump Jumper one of these days.

bwalsh screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 06:55 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #2118
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

So, the other day I had my first negative encounter(that I can recall) with the rear cyclist in a pack of three. I can understand what he was thinking but the way he did it was pretty damn stupid.

I was approaching from the rear in my truck and was over in the other lane except for maybe a couple feet of the truck still in the lane. The rear cyclist kinda does this whip out in front of me bit. WTF? He didn't actually take the lane but moved so whoever was coming up had to move over(ie: was forced over) in the other lane.
Like I said I was already over when he did it but he did it right as I was damn near on his ass. If it had been someone who didn't like cyclists(or wasn't paying attention) I'm sure he would have been sideswiped or rear ended...and it would have been his fault.

That guy isn't too bright...

Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #2119
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
So, the other day I had my first negative encounter(that I can recall) with the rear cyclist in a pack of three. I can understand what he was thinking but the way he did it was pretty damn stupid.

I was approaching from the rear in my truck and was over in the other lane except for maybe a couple feet of the truck still in the lane. The rear cyclist kinda does this whip out in front of me bit. WTF? He didn't actually take the lane but moved so whoever was coming up had to move over(ie: was forced over) in the other lane.
Like I said I was already over when he did it but he did it right as I was damn near on his ass. If it had been someone who didn't like cyclists(or wasn't paying attention) I'm sure he would have been sideswiped or rear ended...and it would have been his fault.

That guy isn't too bright...
Was it a guy on aerobars? Triathletes are prone to poor lane control(and low rider skill in general). And I have seen people make some pretty dramatic moves just looking around.
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #2120
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,565
Quote:

THIS machine does...even without the PEDALS.

I got to PEDAL one of these last year. I may have to retire the Stump Jumper one of these days.
Peddle is what you do on ebay.
PEDAL is what you do to a bicycle

Just sayin

M
Old 05-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #2121
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,089
Quote:

Just sayin

M

Aaaahhhh....FREEDOM!!!

Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #2122
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
i wonder what that would look like if all those folks were in cars?
ivantheterrible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #2123
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelish View Post
Was it a guy on aerobars? Triathletes are prone to poor lane control(and low rider skill in general). And I have seen people make some pretty dramatic moves just looking around.
Nope, just a normal bike. He did the swerve move on purpose. He was nice and smooth up until then and there was nothing in/on the pavement for him to have to swerve.
My guess is he has dealt with assholes passing within inches of him but he needs to either move over sooner or just stay right. There's no way in hell I'd d pull that move with a total stranger coming up on my ass.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #2124
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Peddle is what you do on ebay.
PEDAL is what you do to a bicycle

Just sayin

M
Doh... Shoot me now!

Old 05-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #2125
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post

Old 05-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #2126
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,565
Quote:
Lookit all that room between the lanes not being used.

Lane sharing FTW!

M
Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #2127
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post

Miami.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #2128
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 162
Cool2

The two groups of people on bikes were out this morning. Both were in the right lane of a quiet four-lane road, single-file, wearing plenty of hi-viz.The guy group of about six was close to the middle of the right lane and not doing anywhere near the speed limit. I dropped a gear to make a little (just a little; no hooligan here) noise and kissed the rumble strip on the pass. A mirror check showed they tucked back in closer to the shoulder. Seemed like a batch of amateurs. Their gear and bikes were all new, but their formation was ragged and none of 'em looked close to fit. Must have been looking to burn off the football football for summer; too many beers and hot wings, boys!

The second batch of six-eight people looked like pros. I guess they were practicing for a bike marathon, as they stayed in right-third of the right lane and did the speed limit. One rider would slip out of the line, pass two or three, then tuck back in. (ladies with armored spandex pumping away; lovely distraction, that ) Even the runners were polite, keeping visible and staying out of traffic as best they could. Pretty nice morning, all told!

My sole negative encounter with a bike was (yep) a knot of teenagers on BMX bikes with no brakes and dropped seats. They'd carve in and out of traffic from the bike lane, look back, laugh at people swerving to get out of their way. Until two of the dunces ran into the back of the bus that had stopped to pick up passengers. Then it was just fekkin' funny!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #2129
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,893
Well...just got back from an interesting ride (on the motorcycle).

I did a familiar loop that traverses some low traffic two lane roads out in the country. Fairly hilly, but visibility is usually quite good.

Except this time I got stuck in a century bicycle race

I literally spent more miles either totally in the oncoming lane, or riding right on the centerlines than I did otherwise...for 20 miles! Solid cyclists, in huge groups, taking up the entire lane...on and on and on.

The reality is that making my way through this parade was actually pretty easy on a motorcycle...I don't need much room to pass them. Plus I can use the power to jump around a group in a flash, then quickly hop back into the lane to dodge oncoming traffic, then leapfrog again, etc.

The problem was THE CARS ON THE ROAD! OMG...so much clueless, confused, absolutely bewildered driving. People just had no idea what to do. It's open road space people...USE IT. The double yellows were just wreaking havoc on these drivers who only wanted to try to pass in the legal passing zones...I think passing a group of cyclists going 10 MPH is an exception! USE THE OPEN PAVEMENT DAMNIT!

I ended up easily passing almost every car I encountered when I had a chance because they were causing such problems.

I'm a cyclist, but I'm not sure how I feel about races like this WITHOUT CLOSING THE ROAD! Yes, traffic was fairly light, but it's also in the middle of nowhere where people like to do 60-70 MPH on a 45 MPH road!

Once I got stuck in this, due to the route, the only options I had were to turn around or keep moving forward until I got to my turn...

Interesting experience though. Really demonstrated drivers' inability to use space that exists and is clear, simply because of some paint on the road...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 11:15 AM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #2130
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
...Except this time I got stuck in a century bicycle race ...
Just a nit picky note, Centuries are "rides" not races. Totally different animals. What century ride was this? Most don't have enough riders to clog up the whole road for 20miles! That's a lot of people. I've done rides with 7,000 riders that didn't clog the road like what you're describing. Usually big rides like that will stagger the starts so that they don't clump like that and if there are any hills they usually spread out pretty quick.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote