Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #211
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
What a lot of the spandex and clip in crowd don't seem to grasp is that "asserting" your right to use the lane like every other road user, only works on sensitive, caring, socially responsible road users.

You are still on 30 pounds of plastic and metal, directly in the path of 3,000 pounds of steel (marginally) controlled by someone who may or may not be a complete raving asshole!

Bravo to you brave bicyclist for standing up for your rights! Step right up and spin the "WHEEL... OF... BUMPER-TAG!"

Just because you have a right to do it, doesn't always make it a good idea!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #212
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
What a lot of the spandex and clip in crowd don't seem to grasp is that "asserting" your right to use the lane like every other road user, only works on sensitive, caring, socially responsible road users.

You are still on 30 pounds of plastic and metal, directly in the path of 3,000 pounds of steel (marginally) controlled by someone who may or may not be a complete raving asshole!

Bravo to you brave bicyclist for standing up for your rights! Step right up and spin the "WHEEL... OF... BUMPER-TAG!"

Cagers are going to purposely endanger and/or menace cyclists anyway, even in a bike lane, so it doesn't really matter. Does it? F them! They can move to another lane. Thank your fellow cagers.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #213
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 19,487
Quote:

You have a habit of defending douchy and aggressive behavior on the roads, I've noticed.

What YOU fail to understand is that this thread is populated by INMATES who ride bicycles telling other INMATES who have shitty attitudes toward cyclists to CHILL THE FUCK OUT.

You're operating a motorized vehicle, if a cyclist fucks up your day, you're doing something wrong. Period.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #214
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:

Only someone who has never ridden a bicycle on a public road for any purpose other than a short neighborhood spin would say that.

Being assertive is not the same thing as being stupid. Just as with riding a moto, you have to pick your battles.

But if all you ever do is wait for for cars to give you a break, or count on them to leave you extra room where you need it, you won't get anywhere 'cause its not going to happen. I've pulled into a lane in front of loaded full-size dump trucks when the situation demanded it. Albeit never without leaving them plenty of room to react, and carefully monitoring my mirror.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #215
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 712
Boy, I sure don't understand why anyone on a bicycle would want to occupy the same space as a motorized vehicle operator would. You are simply outweighed when push comes to shove. I agree with lemieuxmc on all points. Ask yourself, would you want to share the same space with your grandmother or grandfather if you were on a bike while they were behind the wheel? Not me. How about any of the other wretched drivers your local DMV endorses as safe? Again, not me.

I work as an accident reconstructionist and I have had a couple of cases where the rider was operating his bicycle reasonably. One of those operators died. He's dead! There are no laws that will bring him back, but he was well within his right to occupy the same road with automobile drivers.

What also gets me is that there is no insurance required to operate a bicycle on a public roadway. I arrived upon an accident scene on my motorcycle where a bicycle operator took out another motorcyclist. The bicyclist blew a turn, crossed over the double-yellow line and hit the oncoming motorcyclist at his left handlebar. The collision was so violent that the bicyclist deposited flesh from his left arm onto the clutch master cylinder of the motorcycle and received a broken arm for the effort. The motorcyclist was injured and his bike appeared unridable. While I don't know all the facts, what if this bicyclist didn't have the insurance to make the motorcyclist whole again? How right is that?

At the very least, bicyclists should be insured (and have there vehicles registered) to use the same roads as other pay-for-use road travelers.

I believe in what I say and I will continue to use my mountain bike away from all the crummy drivers I see using our streets today. The last thing I want to do is be the rightest man in the cemetery.

So ends my rant. Oh, and thanks for letting me vent.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #216
lemieuxmc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
You have a habit of defending douchy and aggressive behavior on the roads, I've noticed.

What YOU fail to understand is that this thread is populated by INMATES who ride bicycles telling other INMATES who have shitty attitudes toward cyclists to CHILL THE FUCK OUT.

You're operating a motorized vehicle, if a cyclist fucks up your day, you're doing something wrong. Period.

To you and FilmFan, you obviously have a problem understanding the English language.

I've spent lots of time pedaling, and have been knocked off the bike a few times by STUPID people who shouldn't be operating any vehicle bigger than rollerblades.

I give the road bicyclist every advantage I can, I applaud their fitness and motivation, but frequently I have to ask myself; "What the hell did Mr. I think I'm Lance Fucking Armstrong have in mind when he set out to ride with several of his friends up 10 miles of twisted, blind curving, uphill road with no shoulders, where there are frequently Winnebagos, Semis, and Pick-ups pulling horse trailers at 45-60 mph, driven by morons!"

But hey, Allah Inshallah!

lemieuxmc screwed with this post 10-29-2011 at 10:20 PM
Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #217
lemieuxmc
Banned

and carefully monitoring my mirror

#1 So you can watch the dumb-shit run your ass over?

#2 So you will know exactly when to throw yourself into the ditch or down the embankment to avoid outcome number 1?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #218
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 19,487
Yeah, everyone knows there's stupid assholes on the road. Let's stop making excuses for their aggressive behavior. Let's stop saying "you should have known better" every time someone gets hit.

You're adding nothing to the conversation with your 'insight'.

Done.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #219
Wanterer
Adenturer

Oddometer: 58
mirrors

Quote:
and carefully monitoring my mirror

#1 So you can watch the dumb-shit run your ass over?

#2 So you will know exactly when to throw yourself into the ditch or down the embankment to avoid outcome number 1?
ya - that's kinda funny. Did you (whoever you may be) ever go jogging on a public road? You can see right into the eyes of the drivers and get a good look at their habits. It ain't pretty. I swear if cyclists rode in the left lane toward driver so that we could see them head-on- we may never ride again!

Well unfortunately bicycles and motorcycles are on the bottom of the food chain on our "size dominates" public roads. When I ride my bicycle (and soon my motorcycle) I expect to have at least one encounter with a car. I can then easily shirk it off. It helps my sanity. No kidding. Try it.
Wanterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #220
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,964
As a kid I learned not to play in the street, bad idea. Yet that is what I see a majority of people on bikes doing. Getting their recreation in going 10 mph with 45 mph traffic.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #221
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
Boy, I sure don't understand why anyone on a bicycle would want to occupy the same space as a motorized vehicle operator would. You are simply outweighed when push comes to shove. I agree with lemieuxmc on all points. Ask yourself, would you want to share the same space with your grandmother or grandfather if you were on a bike while they were behind the wheel? Not me. How about any of the other wretched drivers your local DMV endorses as safe? Again, not me.

I work as an accident reconstructionist and I have had a couple of cases where the rider was operating his bicycle reasonably. One of those operators died. He's dead! There are no laws that will bring him back, but he was well within his right to occupy the same road with automobile drivers.

What also gets me is that there is no insurance required to operate a bicycle on a public roadway. I arrived upon an accident scene on my motorcycle where a bicycle operator took out another motorcyclist. The bicyclist blew a turn, crossed over the double-yellow line and hit the oncoming motorcyclist at his left handlebar. The collision was so violent that the bicyclist deposited flesh from his left arm onto the clutch master cylinder of the motorcycle and received a broken arm for the effort. The motorcyclist was injured and his bike appeared unridable. While I don't know all the facts, what if this bicyclist didn't have the insurance to make the motorcyclist whole again? How right is that?

At the very least, bicyclists should be insured (and have there vehicles registered) to use the same roads as other pay-for-use road travelers.

I believe in what I say and I will continue to use my mountain bike away from all the crummy drivers I see using our streets today. The last thing I want to do is be the rightest man in the cemetery.

So ends my rant. Oh, and thanks for letting me vent.
They don't "want to" occupy the same space but don't have much choice when some ass in a cage decides they are too important (and in a hurry)to wait to get around a bicyclist. Substitute the word "motorcycle" instead of "bicycle" in your rant and get back to us.
This conversation is not much different than the one a couple months ago about motorcyclists doing the speed limit should bow down, pull the f*@k over and let someone by who wants to go fast.

Find a SAFE place to pass and do so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Yeah, everyone knows there's stupid assholes on the road. Let's stop making excuses for their aggressive behavior. Let's stop saying "you should have known better" every time someone gets hit.

You're adding nothing to the conversation with your 'insight'.

Done.

This general attitude of "I'm in a bigger vehicle than you so you should get out of my way" or "you shouldn't be out here on the road" is lame...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #222
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
As a kid I learned not to play in the street, bad idea. Yet that is what I see a majority of people on bikes doing. Getting their recreation in going 10 mph with 45 mph traffic.
10mph? Poor fella must have gotten dropped.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #223
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
10mph? Poor fella must have gotten dropped.

yeah, after riding 80 miles

I think the cage drivers that have an attitude, are usually ones that become angry that someone is out doing what they don't have the willpower to do themselves, so they take their misguided anger out on the bicyclist instead of doing something about their fat fuckdness.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #224
lemieuxmc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanterer View Post
ya - that's kinda funny. Did you (whoever you may be) ever go jogging on a public road? You can see right into the eyes of the drivers and get a good look at their habits. It ain't pretty. I swear if cyclists rode in the left lane toward driver so that we could see them head-on- we may never ride again!

Well unfortunately bicycles and motorcycles are on the bottom of the food chain on our "size dominates" public roads. When I ride my bicycle (and soon my motorcycle) I expect to have at least one encounter with a car. I can then easily shirk it off. It helps my sanity. No kidding. Try it.
Well, at least one guy gets the point!

I see people all of the time out for a run on the shoulder of Hwy 101, or in the bikelane with cars coming up behind them. I would never go running for exercise anywhere that the cars could run me over with no warning. As a kid I would ride my bike against traffic (in Los Angeles!) specifically so I would know exactly at which point I should throw myself out of the path of the oncoming moron, and this was before phones and texting.

The reason I was so happy to start riding motorcycles on the street was that at least I could stay with the speed of traffic on the uphills, and accelerate out of the tough spots.

If you think that you are going to "really teach the cagers a lesson" by insisting on "asserting" your right to use the whole lane... more power to ya! Mind if I take out a life insurance policy on you? I promise I'll say nice things about you at the memorial service.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #225
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,496
Asserting yourself to occupy space in the lane has nothing to do with "Teaching cagers a lesson."

Sometimes it is necessary to take the lane to prevent someone running you over. It really isn't any different than riding assertive on a motorcycle.

If I ride slightly left of the fog line, people move over a couple of feet and go around. If i ride on, or right of the fog line, many don't move over OR slow down and just whizz by less than 2 feet away.

Another point to ponder is that some people use a bike for transportation. I don't ride for recreation or exercise. My current situation limits my options, but I have to get to school and work.