Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #2491
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post

We are not invisible. This is not the land of Harry Potter. Some folks just don't give a shit. Simple mistake? Nah. Inattention? Nope. Willful Malfeasance? Doubtful. More likely it's just some damn driver who has no perspective...

As a truck driver I will say, if the driver was passing the cyclists, that is entirely true, he knew they were there and didn't drive appropriately. There is no legitimate excuse.
Truck drivers are supposed to be professionals, but like with any other group, there are bad apples.

That said, all cyclists and motorcyclists need to remember, if they themselves are overtaking a semi truck on the right, they are in fact virtually invisible, especially in curves.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #2492
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
As a truck driver I will say, if the driver was passing the cyclists, that is entirely true, he knew they were there and didn't drive appropriately. There is no legitimate excuse.
Truck drivers are supposed to be professionals, but like with any other group, there are bad apples.

That said, all cyclists and motorcyclists need to remember, if they themselves are overtaking a semi truck on the right, they are in fact virtually invisible, especially in curves.

What, exactly are you saying?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #2493
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Windmill,
What can cyclists do, (if anything), to help enhance our visibility as you're coming around us in a big truck?
I've been trying out giving a big wave as the rear of the trailer is clearing, but I have no idea if a driver can see that.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #2494
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Windmill,
What can cyclists do, (if anything), to help enhance our visibility as you're coming around us in a big truck?
I've been trying out giving a big wave as the rear of the trailer is clearing, but I have no idea if a driver can see that.

Interesting question.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #2495
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What, exactly are you saying?
Learn where the blind spots are on a big truck. and stay out of them!!

Quote:
Windmill,
Be where you can see the driver in the mirror, if you cant see him, he cant see you.. High viz helps, highbeams make you less visible. The passenger side mirrors are 6 to 8 feet from the driver, a motorcycle or bicycle even with the rear of a trailer appears to be about the size of a pen cap in the mirror.
Passing on the right should be done with caution, filter and splitting on the right should be avoided. Also, double and triple trailer sets drift and wander some, and should be given more space.

Every motorcyclist and bicyclist should sit in the drivers seat of a semi to know the "no-zones"

http://archives.wingworldmag.com/oct...e/No-Zone.html
http://www.sharetheroadsafely.org/no...sTheNoZone.asp

No matter how cautious and courteous a truck driver is, if you enter a "no-zone" unseen, you are at risk. Nobody wants to be delayed by a truck, and some will do questionable things to get by (sound familiar?) , I used to have a down town Seattle route, and sometimes I was surrounded by cars, cyclists, and pedestrians doing foolish things all at the same time. A driver may see you, but have more than just you to deal with.

Always remember, that "extra space" in front of a truck isn't for you to cut into for a last second merge, its the extra space a truck needs to stop.

Please be safe around trucks, most drivers do care, but there are additional risks, and even professionals make mistakes too.

windmill screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 10:08 AM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #2496
soggybrit
Banned

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Good luck with that.
still no answer?
soggybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #2497
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Learn where the blind spots are on a big truck. and stay out of them!!
snipped...blah, blah, blah...
Please be safe around trucks, most drivers do care, but there are additional risks, and even professionals make mistakes too.
Thanks for stating the obvious. It would appear (based on the link) that the TT driver did not leave enough room. You can quote blind spots and "overtaking on the right" all you want but it appears that the cyclist was doing exactly what they were supposed to do. Once the TT driver saw a few cycles on the road, it's reasonable to assume that there will be more ahead. Even ignoring that, the TT driver in this incident did not leave enough room. His rig (and every other overtaking vehicle) should be as far away from the slower vehicle/ped/mom pushing baby stroller as possible.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #2498
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for stating the obvious. It would appear (based on the link) that the TT driver did not leave enough room. You can quote blind spots and "overtaking on the right" all you want but it appears that the cyclist was doing exactly what they were supposed to do. Once the TT driver saw a few cycles on the road, it's reasonable to assume that there will be more ahead. Even ignoring that, the TT driver in this incident did not leave enough room. His rig (and every other overtaking vehicle) should be as far away from the slower vehicle/ped/mom pushing baby stroller as possible.

Ummm, yes, it seems the truck driver failed to drive responsibly, I don't think anybody is questioning that, or defending his poor judgment.

There was a question of what a cyclist can do to reduce their risk from a truck drivers perspective. I support the rights of cyclists to use the road in safety, and was simply trying to be helpful.

Sorry my concern for cyclists safety is provocative to you
Old 06-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #2499
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Thank you for the response on my question, more knowledge is always helpful. I guess a pocket clip flapping around on a pen cap isn't too visible inside your cab

In the photo you posted, there are some dotted lane markers visible, roughly where are those markers in relationship to your trailer?

My common situation with big trucks, and I think it's true for most bicyclists, is that we're riding along the edge of the pavement on a two lane road with a truck overtaking. Often these roads have no paved shoulder.

I don't know the section of ME rt 2 where the accident occurred, but the larger similar roads (numbered routes) I've been on in Maine have narrow paved shoulders, maybe 5 or 6 feet at best. FWIW.

filmfan screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 01:54 PM
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #2500
pinarello rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:

Ummm, yes, it seems the truck driver failed to drive responsibly, I don't think anybody is questioning that, or defending his poor judgment.

There was a question of what a cyclist can do to reduce their risk from a truck drivers perspective. I support the rights of cyclists to use the road in safety, and was simply trying to be helpful.

Sorry my concern for cyclists safety is provocative to you
That was a weird response to your post. I appreciate the thought and time you put into providing actually useful information.
pinarello rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #2501
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

In the photo you posted, there are some dotted lane markers visible, roughly where are those markers in relationship to your trailer?

The dotted lane markers are at the converter dolly between the 2 trailers, and the lamp post is at the rear of the rear trailer.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #2502
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinarello rider View Post
That was a weird response to your post. I appreciate the thought and time you put into providing actually useful information.
Unfortunately as I have learned in another thread here in this forum, a few get so emotionally invested in an issue they loose sight of who their friends and enemies are, and attack others as a knee jerk reaction.

Sometimes its too easy to misinterpret what others post on internet forums.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #2503
pinarello rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, whether they've earned it or not.
pinarello rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #2504
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
Um, let me think...um. Um. Nope. I don't have any hate for bicyclists. I do resent that some bicyclists make a point of antagonizing other road users; and by that I mean my friends and me.

To make one's point, however, certain points might need to be eaxaggerated to get a response. It's just like hitting a mule with a two-by-four to get it's attention. Surely that is cruel but, sometimes an ass doesn't respond to the word "please".

For the record, I entered this hornet's nest to see if I could learn something about the differing views and then influence positive change. I'll admit to sloppy handling, on my part, there.
You really think I'm intentionally trying to antagonize someone that's driving something that can and will kill me?

Uhhhh yeah.

Having said that, I will take a position in the lane to influence where the car has to drive *in certain situations.* I've posted and posted and posted about those situations, so I won't go over em again.

M
Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #2505
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Quote:
Unfortunately as I have learned in another thread here in this forum, a few get so emotionally invested in an issue they loose sight of who their friends and enemies are, and attack others as a knee jerk reaction.

Tone of voice is hard via print on a computer screen.

I always wave to let people towing things know that they're past. if it helps, but I'll keep doing it. Kinda what trucks do when other trucks pass em.

I've driven a semi. Army taught me how to haul D-7 dozers on lowboys. Even with the better visibility to the rear with the lowboy, there's still areas I couldn't see well.

People do amazingly stupid things around trucks.

M