Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #2581
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
This

What I see as perfectly normal behavior to protect my road space may be perceived as 'elitist asshat behavior' by those that haven't experienced the wonderfulness of their fellow road users' disdain for cyclists personally.

You really do need to experience what your fellow road users do to us cyclists to really 'get' why we do what we do as often as we do it.

M
I ride a bike regularly, used to commute 21 miles each way on pedals. I stay as far to right as I can and go out of my way to stay out of peoples way.
Amazingly enough I have never experienced the "wonderfulness of my fellow road users disdain".
When I mentioned that it's the dickheads on bikes that stand out just like it's the dickheads on four wheels that stand out you immediately made it apparent that you are one of those choads that fuck it up for everyone else.
Keep asserting your perceived rights, asshole!
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #2582
Handy
Sunburnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Why didn't you drive your vehicle on the sidewalk. Did you encounter difficulty passing the bicyclists? I don't see myself having a problem passing them if they are going 10 in a 40.
Here it is legal to ride a bike on the sidewalk, but not to drive a car on the sidewalk.
Aren't you a cop?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #2583
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
I don't think there is anyone here who speaks from the bicycling side who disagrees that some cyclists could do better at being a good road citizen.
Maybe it's areas of the country, but what you describe isn't the common situation here.
However, judging from many of the opinions offered here, it seems like any time any cyclist is seen in some spot of the roadway that someone doesn't like, no matter the reason, and no matter if they are blocked or not, then it's automatically "he's an a-hole arrogant jerk, just like everyone else on two wheels without motors, period, end of discussion"

I happen to ride solo most of the time, and I work at being a good "road citizen", but I'm also willing to ride assertively when the situation calls for it. Fortunately, those times don't happen very often.

But I really resent being automatically grouped with those who aren't good citizens, just like you may resent getting grouped with outlaw types on straight-piped HD's, just because you happen to be on a moto.
I understand, don't mean to put anyone particularly in that group. I used by be a bicyclist myself. Went a few years where a bicycle was my primary mode of transit and I made an effort to share the road. I just can't lie and say that meeting up with a bad group is abnormal.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #2584
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Here it is legal to ride a bike on the sidewalk, but not to drive a car on the sidewalk.
Aren't you a cop?
No.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #2585
Handy
Sunburnt

Quote:
No.
Oh, I figured you would have to be one to arrest someone for a misdemeanor offense. Guess not, so you must be a plumber then?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #2586
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
What is the proper way to pass a bicyclist going in the same direction that you are?

I've passed a few and just moved over to the left side of my lane while they are on the right side.

Should I actually move over into the other lane?
Most states have a 3 foot minimum distance rule. If at all possible I give them much more than that. I'd hate for one to have a blowout or otherwise lose control and me hit them when I could have been further over and spared them.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #2587
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Oh, I figured you would have to be one to arrest someone for a misdemeanor offense. Guess not, so you must be a plumber then?
I am retired.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #2588
Handy
Sunburnt

Quote:
I am retired.
I've heard plumbers make pretty good scratch, probably got to retire early.
You lucky dog!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #2589
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

What I see as perfectly normal behavior to protect my road space may be perceived as 'elitist asshat behavior' by those that haven't experienced the wonderfulness of their fellow road users' disdain for cyclists personally
Its a given that everybody's perspective is different, and its also a given that we can't please everybody.

You have clearly articulated what you do and why, but as a responsible cyclist, what do you consider reasonable boundaries for cyclists?

It would be interesting to hear what the anti cyclists consider reasonable boundaries, but it seems "reasonable" isn't part of their vocabulary.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #2590
gplutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
But I know something you don't!
What's that?
I am not left handed!

Since this thread has gotten to the point of a fencing match, I thought it fitting :-)

I hope it brings some joy to those that get the reference.
So I got home and the Princess Bride was on TV. Literally right after this part.
gplutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #2591
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Another clueless idiot, reporting for duty,er,I mean straightening out!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're in such a fooking hurry, leave a little earlier!!! And learn how to drive!!

Explain to me why bicyclists need to be side by side in the middle of the road when they can not keep up with traffic? Even moped and scooter people move over to the right. Ever see two scooters side by side, going up a hill at 10 mph holding up traffic? I have not.

I am OK with them on the road when they stay to the far right.

They want to have it both ways: Same rights as cars but most don't follow the same rules: blowing through stop lights, splitting lanes, etc.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #2592
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
Explain to me why bicyclists need to be side by side in the middle of the road when they can not keep up with traffic? Even moped and scooter people move over to the right. Ever see two scooters side by side, going up a hill at 10 mph holding up traffic? I have not.

They want to have it both ways: Same rights as cars but most don't follow the same rules: blowing through stop lights, splitting lanes, etc.
Explain to me why you experienced difficulty going around such slow moving vehicles?

After you do that, tell me this.

How wide were the lanes?

Was this in a passing or no passing zone?

Was this near the crest of a hill?

Was this near a blind curve?

What does your state law say about side by side bicycle riding?

Without the answers to those questions, I can't give you an informed response. It could be that they are self centered dickholes or it could be that they had a good reason for it.

And one last thing if you don't mind. What is blowing through a stop sign?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #2593
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:

Explain to me why you lump "all" bicyclists into one group...all assholes. Using that misguided perception you could call all motorcyclists assholes too.
I don't like groups of cyclists riding two, three abreast either but It's really not too difficult to get around them. Try using the thingy you are holding on to. They're called handlebars and are used to turn the front wheel to avoid debris, bicycles, pedestrians, etc in the roadway.
Again, like I pointed out to another, if they didn't "blow thru" the stop light(s) you would probably be bitching about being stuck behind them after the light changed.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #2594
pinarello rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Driving this morning I got behind two bicyclists going UPHILL and, of course, side by side in the middle of the road. They couldn't have been going faster than 10 or 15 mph in a 40 mph zone. GET OUT OF MY FUCKING WAY! There was also a sidewalk and no reason they couldn't have been riding to the far right of the road if they insisted on being on the road instead of the sidewalk. Maybe there's a rule that if you have all the pro cyclist gear on you can't ride on the sidewalk? BTW - it was early on a Sunday morning and the sidewalks were empty. Ugh.

Sorry bicycle dudes - you are not going fast, you are not cool. You are slow and you are a pain in the ass.

Christ.
It's not a question of being cool. It's doing what we do because we like it. That being said, I HATE IT when groups I ride in double up on roads. It is inconsiderate and unnecessary. I ride on back roads with friends occassionally and we ALWAYS single up, even when there is plenty of space on the the road to pass safely because we don't want to interfere with traffic. I can't, for the life of me, understand why my fellow cyclists think it's okay to double up.

Regarding sidewalks - they are even worse for the cyclist than the road. Cars pulling into a roadway are not looking for vehicles traveling 20+ mph on a sidewalk. Also, dogs on/off leashes, kids in training wheels. All bad for cyclists. Additionally, many localities have laws against bicycles on sidewalks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Sidewalks are for pedestrians, not vehicles. Would you be that pissed off if it had been a pair of mopeds on the hill? How about a Model-T out for a lazy-day drive?
Not the point, but yes, the motorist with somewhere to go and is on a schedule would be annoyed. I would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Another clueless idiot, reporting for duty,er,I mean straightening out!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're in such a fooking hurry, leave a little earlier!!! And learn how to drive!!
Completely beside the point. If you want respect, GIVE respect. There's not reason why cyclists should double up on a public roadway when you only have one lane.
pinarello rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #2595
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Explain to me why you lump "all" bicyclists into one group...all assholes. Using that misguided perception you could call all motorcyclists assholes too.
I don't like groups of cyclists riding two, three abreast either but It's really not too difficult to get around them. Try using the thingy you are holding on to. They're called handlebars and are used to turn the front wheel to avoid debris, bicycles, pedestrians, etc in the roadway.
Again, like I pointed out to another, if they didn't "blow thru" the stop light(s) you would probably be bitching about being stuck behind them after the light changed.
Wow. Please let me know where I called bicyclists assholes.

sheesh......

BTW - I ride a bicycle too. I just understand there are other people on the road so i stay to the right if i need to be on the road.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote