Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #2596
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Explain to me why you experienced difficulty going around such slow moving vehicles?

After you do that, tell me this.

How wide were the lanes?

Was this in a passing or no passing zone?

Was this near the crest of a hill?

Was this near a blind curve?

What does your state law say about side by side bicycle riding?

Without the answers to those questions, I can't give you an informed response. It could be that they are self centered dickholes or it could be that they had a good reason for it.

And one last thing if you don't mind. What is blowing through a stop sign?
No - you are deflecting my question.

Again, why do some, not all, bicyclists need to ride side by side in the middle of the road? Are you guys ok with scooters, mopeds and motorcycles doing this?
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #2597
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Explain to me why you lump "all" bicyclists into one group...all assholes. Using that misguided perception you could call all motorcyclists assholes too.
I don't like groups of cyclists riding two, three abreast either but It's really not too difficult to get around them. Try using the thingy you are holding on to. They're called handlebars and are used to turn the front wheel to avoid debris, bicycles, pedestrians, etc in the roadway.
Again, like I pointed out to another, if they didn't "blow thru" the stop light(s) you would probably be bitching about being stuck behind them after the light changed.
Not at all, when I see a bicyclist stopping at stop signs and abiding by other traffic laws, I think they are riding in a responsible way and will go out of my way to give them extra courtesy.
1989 911
Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #2598
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
Explain to me why bicyclists need to be side by side in the middle of the road when they can not keep up with traffic?
Ummmm because its hard to talk to your riding buddy's ass?

Quote:
I am OK with them on the road when they stay to the far right.
So what happens if 'far to the right' is covered in gravel, glass, broken pavement, etc.? I'm NOT going to ride my $1k of wheels and tires thru that shit if I can help it. I don't ask you to drive thru potholes so why should I ride thru similar crap?

Quote:
They want to have it both ways: Same rights as cars but most don't follow the same rules: blowing through stop lights, splitting lanes, etc.
We're back to this again already? :facepalm

I don't WANT to have it both ways. The law SAYS I have the same rights as a car. ...with some exceptions. Check your local laws. I'll bet they say that a cyclist needs to ride as far to the right as practicable. Practicable is NOT the same as 'possible.' I'll also bet your local laws gives us the whole lane when its unsafe. Who has the final say on unsafe? The cyclists do. Not some yahoo in a hurry to get their mochalattechino at whorebux.

...and if you read back a few pages, you'll see its actually EASIER to get around a group vs a long line of single file riders. I've done the maths for you already.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #2599
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,576

I don't agree with some of the riding in this video, but it succinctly shows the hazards of riding on the roads.

M
Old 06-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #2600
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Ummmm because its hard to talk to your riding buddy's ass?

So what happens if 'far to the right' is covered in gravel, glass, broken pavement, etc.? I'm NOT going to ride my $1k of wheels and tires thru that shit if I can help it. I don't ask you to drive thru potholes so why should I ride thru similar crap?

We're back to this again already? :facepalm

I don't WANT to have it both ways. The law SAYS I have the same rights as a car. ...with some exceptions. Check your local laws. I'll bet they say that a cyclist needs to ride as far to the right as practicable. Practicable is NOT the same as 'possible.' I'll also bet your local laws gives us the whole lane when its unsafe. Who has the final say on unsafe? The cyclists do. Not some yahoo in a hurry to get their mochalattechino at whorebux.

...and if you read back a few pages, you'll see its actually EASIER to get around a group vs a long line of single file riders. I've done the maths for you already.
No argument here - it's just the side by side stuff that i think is unecessary.
1989 911
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #2601
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

I don't agree with some of the riding in this video, but it succinctly shows the hazards of riding on the roads.

M

It's a Norwegian information video to bicyclist about sharing the road. End notes says "For you who does not have 9 lives....please share the road".

I especially like his roll over the hood and off he went on his merry way again.
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #2602
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Here it is legal to ride a bike on the sidewalk, but not to drive a car on the sidewalk.
Aren't you a cop?
Really? Here it is illegal for bicycles to be on the sidewalk if you are over the age of 12 or something like that (don't remember the specific age). I have never been somewhere where bicycles are actually legal on sidewalks.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #2603
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,514
I had a discussion with my boss recently about cyclist's road position. He was wondering what's the big deal about riding thru a bit of gravel and asked if I was worried about scratching my bicycle's paint job.

I explained that it's not the gravel I'm worried about, it's the stuff that gravel makes more difficult to see (ex. glass, metal, debris, etc).

As for the paint, well my bike is titanium so no worries there.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #2604
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 705
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #2605
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Oh, I figured you would have to be one to arrest someone for a misdemeanor offense. Guess not, so you must be a plumber then?
In most states any citizen has the same power to arrest another citizen as an officer does (just not the same legal protections when doing so).
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #2606
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Explain to me why bicyclists need to be side by side in the middle of the road when they can not keep up with traffic? Even moped and scooter people move over to the right. Ever see two scooters side by side, going up a hill at 10 mph holding up traffic? I have not.

I am OK with them on the road when they stay to the far right.

They want to have it both ways: Same rights as cars but most don't follow the same rules: blowing through stop lights, splitting lanes, etc.
I'd love to see how mad you get when there is a combine traveling down the highway
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #2607
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
I'd love to see how mad you get when there is a combine traveling down the highway

Not mad at all. They are really big and can't really move over to the right.

Pretty amusing how many assumptions people are making in this thread.

Also fascinating how many of you are defending two bicyclists riding side by side, uphill at 10 mph in a 40 mph zone. No wonder why so many keep trying to make it out that I am saying something else.
1989 911

Sox Fan screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 11:37 AM
Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #2608
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,872
Quote:
No - you are deflecting my question.

Again, why do some, not all, bicyclists need to ride side by side in the middle of the road? Are you guys ok with scooters, mopeds and motorcycles doing this?
I can't tell you why they need to unless I have some more details. That's what a lot on non bicyclists don't get. There are a whole host of factors and legitimate reasons that may come into play depending upon the whole of the circumstances. It could also be that they are just douches. There are no shortage of those wherever you look.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #2609
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
You come up next to the ones that are impeding traffic , put your hand on their shoulder and SHOVE. If you do this carefully and discreetly [ no witnesses ] word will spread. If we ALL do this it won't take long at all.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #2610
pinarello rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I can't tell you why they need to unless I have some more details. That's what a lot on non bicyclists don't get. There are a whole host of factors and legitimate reasons that may come into play depending upon the whole of the circumstances. It could also be that they are just douches. There are no shortage of those wherever you look.
I ride alot and I rarely see a NEED for a double pace line when there are other cars on the road and there is only one lane. Hell, there isn't a need when there are more than one lane. We do it because we can and we want to socialize with other riders.
pinarello rider is offline   Reply With Quote