Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #2686
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
When on a road without a dedicated bike lane, yes. It is NEVER allowed for them to ride more than two abreast.

(6) (a) Persons operating bicycles on roadways shall ride single file; except that riding no more than two abreast is permitted in the following circumstances: (i) When riding two abreast will not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic; or
(ii) When riding on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

So they don't have to ride single file. I guess the officer was mistaken. If a moto officer manages to get himself impeded by two bicyclists riding side by side, I might suggest he seek out a new profession.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #2687
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
So they don't have to ride single file. I guess the officer was mistaken. If a moto officer manages to get himself impeded by two bicyclists riding side by side, I might suggest he seek out a new profession.
Yes, they do, if they are impeding traffic. In most places in the U.S. you will run into an occasional cyclist or group of cyclists so you are right, it is rare to have too many issues with passing. Here in Colorado, and in particular the front range counties of Jefferson, Boulder, and Larimer there are steady streams of cyclists, alone and in groups for entire lengths of roads, going in each direction. Most of these roads have NO shoulder and very narrow lanes with lots and lots of sharp curves and short lines of visibility. On those same roads are lots of cars and motorcycles who are out and about enjoying the beauty of the front range of Colorado.

The cyclists are usually spread out about 50 yards between groups, sometimes as much as 100 yards (cycling is incredibly popular for Colorado residents and the front range is a mecca for cyclists from around the world to come on holiday). Remember, there are cyclists traveling in each direction. If both west bound and east bound cyclists ride two abreast on these roads there is not enough room for a car to safely pass as they run the risk of hitting oncoming cyclists even if we take oncoming cars out of the equation. Sure, maybe a motorcycle can get through if they split the middle but it's not a safe thing to do.

So, no, the officer was not mistaken. He is trying to keep everyone safe and is not just being an arrogant jerk.
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #2688
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
That raises an interisting question.

Whats " normal and reasonable" on a road where bicycles represent a large percentage or majority of the road users?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #2689
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
Yes, they do, if they are impeding traffic. In most places in the U.S. you will run into an occasional cyclist or group of cyclists so you are right, it is rare to have too many issues with passing. Here in Colorado, and in particular the front range counties of Jefferson, Boulder, and Larimer there are steady streams of cyclists, alone and in groups for entire lengths of roads, going in each direction. Most of these roads have NO shoulder and very narrow lanes with lots and lots of sharp curves and short lines of visibility. On those same roads are lots of cars and motorcycles who are out and about enjoying the beauty of the front range of Colorado.

The cyclists are usually spread out about 50 yards between groups, sometimes as much as 100 yards (cycling is incredibly popular for Colorado residents and the front range is a mecca for cyclists from around the world to come on holiday). Remember, there are cyclists traveling in each direction. If both west bound and east bound cyclists ride two abreast on these roads there is not enough room for a car to safely pass as they run the risk of hitting oncoming cyclists even if we take oncoming cars out of the equation. Sure, maybe a motorcycle can get through if they split the middle but it's not a safe thing to do.

So, no, the officer was not mistaken. He is trying to keep everyone safe and is not just being an arrogant jerk.
Thanks for painting that picture for me. When I think of cycling in CO, I think of where I have ridden bicycles and motorcycles, and in that context I can't envision having much of a problem passing.

Speaking of pics, did you ever post your Kodiak pics on FB?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #2690
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
That raises an interisting question.

Whats " normal and reasonable" on a road where bicycles represent a large percentage or majority of the road users?
That's largely up to the officer.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #2691
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,418
This particular road also has a bunch of clear, easy to read signs which tell bicyclists to ride single file and to the right. So even without knowledge of the law, that detail is clearly posted. Some folks just don't care. I'm pretty sure the whole 'share the road' message needs a clarification in that it applies to bikes as well as other traffic. It's not a one-way thing, although it appears to be interpreted this way most of the time.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #2692
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
This particular road also has a bunch of clear, easy to read signs which tell bicyclists to ride single file and to the right. So even without knowledge of the law, that detail is clearly posted. Some folks just don't care. I'm pretty sure the whole 'share the road' message needs a clarification in that it applies to bikes as well as other traffic. It's not a one-way thing, although it appears to be interpreted this way most of the time.
What is the name of the road, and what color are the signs?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #2693
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
What is the name of the road, and what color are the signs?

Here's the first one. I'll let you find the others.

rob feature screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 05:00 PM
Old 06-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #2694
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

In all the states with which I am familiar that's not a regulatory sign. TX does have a law that requires motorists to adhere to warning signs.

Some interesting reading on riding two abreast.

http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_13053341

http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/sidebysid.htm
Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #2695
rob feature
Domain Ranger

It doesn't all necessarily boil down to what's legal. Just because something's legal doesn't make it a good idea. It's a total douche maneuver to hold up traffic just because you want to ride next to your buddy. Even if the law does protect you, everybody behind you thinks you're a real turd. And if you were in your car or on your bike, you might just be thinking the same thing. A little common sense and courtesy need to come into play here as well.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #2696
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
Quote:
Here's the first one. I'll let you find the others.

Yellow sign. Advisory. Kinda like those signs that say "15mph" and have a big arrow on a 55mph road. It's advised that you go 15, but it's not regulated. Same here. It's recommended that cyclists ride single file, but it's not required. If that sign was white, you would be forced to ride single file.

If I understand the Colorado law correctly, bicyclists are allowed to ride side by side in some situations (I would expect that passing another cyclist would be such a situation), so the sign can't rightly be white. Cyclists regularly catch and pass each other and if you think getting by a handful of cyclists riding single file is a pain in the ass, wait until you have 50 stacked up behind some hella slow rider.

Does that make sense?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #2697
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
Quote:
It doesn't all necessarily boil down to what's legal. Just because something's legal doesn't make it a good idea. It's a total douche maneuver to hold up traffic just because you want to ride next to your buddy. Even if the law does protect you, everybody behind you thinks you're a real turd. And if you were in your car or on your bike, you might just be thinking the same thing. A little common sense and courtesy need to come into play here as well.
I'm a cyclist and I agree with you. There's a guy on my team that I just don't want to ride with because he's always out in the middle of the road acting like a douche. You'll find that most proficient and responsible cyclists agree with you as well.

If a group is riding together, we yell "Car Back" to each other so we know that a car is approaching from the rear and we should be positioned properly. On narrow roads, where cars may use both sides of the road (which are often the best cycling roads since they have little traffic) we may be yelling "Car Up" to each other so everyone knows to watch out.

Good cycling requires good cycling etiquette and many that have never ridden with a team have no clue. Similarly, I find that some of the more testosterone charged teams exercise exactly no cycling etiquette. I see it on every century I've ever ridden. People passing without announcing "On your left", riding in the middle of the road, you name it.

And yeah, they piss us off, too.

In the motorcycle world, we call them "squids".

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #2698
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
wait until you have 50 stacked up behind some hella slow rider.

Does that make sense?
Oh yeah. I did that run on the moto early on a nice Saturday once. 500 riders easy and I don't think there was an event going on. I only go through there during the week now

Old 06-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #2699
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
That's largely up to the officer.
As a first step, yes. If someone disagrees with the officer they can take it to court and have a judge decide on what is 'fair and reasonable'. $$$ + time. Only going to happen if insurance (read money) is involved or a really pissed off person with money.

------------
I've ridden in organized rides of 800+ people. They don't all ride together but break up into natural groups all riding the same kind of speed. Some of the groups can get big - say 60 - but normally 15 is about right for the cyclists. That is just how things work out naturally. These particular rides are well advertised in local papers so every one knows that road X will be slow and busy on day Y. They should be able to work it out and use road Z.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #2700
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,995
+1.

Our riders go out of the way to move out of the way when cars are behind us even when we're on big wide streets that are usually 2-3 lanes wide each way.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote