Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #2716
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digasi View Post
Wish your group would ride over here and do some rider etiquette to groups over here. most groups here don't get into single file lane.

While we are at it, can we include slow drivers?
As counter-intuitive as it sounds (to a lot of cyclists too) once you get more than 8-10 bikes in a group, it really is safer to act like a slow-moving car and take the whole lane.

I've done it both ways for lots of years and have had more close calls in single-file groups vs take the lane groups.

Taking the whole lane will tick off some impatient mouth-breathers, but they'll go around in the opposite lane. If you're single-file, they try and keep as much of their vehicle in the 'proper' lane and will pass the line of cyclists without realizing how long the line really is. Then, when there's a car coming at them its 'OMG! THERE'S A CAR COMING!' and the cyclists get squeezed even further. BTDT

M
Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #2717
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
As counter-intuitive as it sounds (to a lot of cyclists too) once you get more than 8-10 bikes in a group, it really is safer to act like a slow-moving car and take the whole lane.

I've done it both ways for lots of years and have had more close calls in single-file groups vs take the lane groups.

Taking the whole lane will tick off some impatient mouth-breathers, but they'll go around in the opposite lane. If you're single-file, they try and keep as much of their vehicle in the 'proper' lane and will pass the line of cyclists without realizing how long the line really is. Then, when there's a car coming at them its 'OMG! THERE'S A CAR COMING!' and the cyclists get squeezed even further. BTDT

M
But sharing means giving as much as you take.........................

The law and most folks expect a "slow moving vehicle" to clear the road as soon as its possible and safe so others can pass.

Sharing skills of groups tend to be very poor.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #2718
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
When you were out riding your motorcycle the other day when you saw the moto officer doing his thing, what kind of pressing business trip were you on? What percentage of your trips would you say are absolutely necessary? Is my exercise routine more important than the baseball game a kid is going to? The date someone is going on? The shopping trip someone is making? Should we come up with a system for prioritizing all road users? I never have understood why anyone would assert the argument you made. It impresses me as ridiculous.
I wasn't holding up traffic. That's the difference. And I was out spending money - fueling the great economic engine that pays that cop's salary

Quote:
Do you understand the reasons solo riders may ride way out into a narrow lane? Can you think of any? When a faster vehicle comes up behind you, irrespective of your mode of transport, do you squeeze yourself as far to the right as possible? Based on my experience, if you do you are in a group that constitutes less than one half of one percent of all road users.
As I mentioned before, I ride, so I get it. I'm polite to bicycles. But, even if I'm under the influence of a motor, I'll pull over to relieve traffic if I'm holding folks up.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #2719
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
I wasn't holding up traffic. That's the difference. And I was out spending money - fueling the great economic engine that pays that cop's salary

As I mentioned before, I ride, so I get it. I'm polite to bicycles. But, even if I'm under the influence of a motor, I'll pull over to relieve traffic if I'm holding folks up.
Your pleasure trip takes priority over theirs. Got it!
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #2720
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Reasonable assumptions?

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happyness, thats what its all about.

But its unlikely a group of cyclists has any other obligations beyond their pleasure, therefore are free to have consideration of others.

Before labeling someone trying to get past an "impatient mouth breather", we must remember there is no way to know why they want to get by quickly. Life sometimes happens, we should be careful about deciding for others what's important.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #2721
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
And I was out spending money - fueling the great economic engine that pays that cop's salary
It may actually be harder than you think to get ahead of the cyclists on those grounds—when you start counting grams, things get expensive real fast. I'd be willing to bet that, on average, the dollars-spent-per-mile is higher for cycling than for motorcycling.
kbroderick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #2722
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
It may actually be harder than you think to get ahead of the cyclists on those grounds—when you start counting grams, things get expensive real fast. I'd be willing to bet that, on average, the dollars-spent-per-mile is higher for cycling than for motorcycling.
Right now, I've got about 4000 miles on my $2500 bike, which doesn't include my GPS, seat, pedals and other kit to make it all work well. Total expenditure is probably right around $3500 since I purchased that bike.

That said, one of my team mates has a bike he has had for 20 years and has about 40,000 miles on. He probably paid about $1500 for it and has, over time upgraded some of the components along the way.

Bike people are funny. Some folks buy a bike and that's it - it lasts them forever. Other folks buy a new bike every couple years. I'm starting to think I'll buy my Last Bike in the next few years; probably something made out of either steel or titanium like a Seven, Strong or Rivendell.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #2723
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
Your pleasure trip takes priority over theirs. Got it!
I think you're missing the point, but I'm tiring of repeating myself. You do your thing, I'll do mine.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #2724
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post

Bike people are funny. Some folks buy a bike and that's it - it lasts them forever. Other folks buy a new bike every couple years. I'm starting to think I'll buy my Last Bike in the next few years; probably something made out of either steel or titanium like a Seven, Strong or Rivendell.

A buddy of mine had a titanium Seven MTB built up for him a few years ago. That thing is dreamy!

Old 06-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #2725
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Reasonable assumptions?

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happyness, thats what its all about.

But its unlikely a group of cyclists has any other obligations beyond their pleasure, therefore are free to have consideration of others.

Before labeling someone trying to get past an "impatient mouth breather", we must remember there is no way to know why they want to get by quickly. Life sometimes happens, we should be careful about deciding for others what's important.
EVERYONE is free to have consideration for others. And they have that opportunity regardless of the circumstance. Some choose to exercise that consideration and others do not.

You have no basis in which to make the assumption that "its unlikely a group of cyclists has any other obligations beyond their pleasure" towards the cyclists than any more than you do with any other road user.

Why is it reasonable to automatically assume a bicyclist is an inconsiderate user of the road resource when you don't apply that same assumption to the drivers of any other vehicles? I'm sure you've seen your share of a*hole truck drivers, SUV drivers, auto drivers or motorcyclists, I know I have.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #2726
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:

A buddy of mine had a titanium Seven MTB built up for him a few years ago. That thing is dreamy!

Seven's are sweet! If my Fat Ti ever died, I would get one.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #2727
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
EVERYONE is free to have consideration for others. And they have that opportunity regardless of the circumstance. Some choose to exercise that consideration and others do not.

You have no basis in which to make the assumption that "its unlikely a group of cyclists has any other obligations beyond their pleasure" towards the cyclists than any more than you do with any other road user.

Why is it reasonable to automatically assume a bicyclist is an inconsiderate user of the road resource when you don't apply that same assumption to the drivers of any other vehicles? I'm sure you've seen your share of a*hole truck drivers, SUV drivers, auto drivers or motorcyclists, I know I have.
Read the last few few pages so you understand the context of my comment.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #2728
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,918

http://albertmcwilliams.com/post/540...o-kill-someone

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #2729
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post

Good article! I enjoyed tits&tires as well

rbrsddn screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 04:34 PM
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #2730
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
But sharing means giving as much as you take.........................
Dood. You have no effing clue how much I'm *forced* to give by the mouth-breathing morons that live on the roads with me/us. I say forced because quite often I have no say in the matter. You're going to pass with inches to spare into that blind corner?! Well, I guess YOU have X-ray vision 'cause *I* certainly can't see what's coming!

I can see a day coming where there's going to be something coming. Its gotten close a few times this season already.

Quote:
The law and most folks expect a "slow moving vehicle" to clear the road as soon as its possible and safe so others can pass.
Treat me like a car and not an obstacle and I'll return the favor.

Quote:
Sharing skills of groups tend to be very poor.
So a school bus dropping off kids is supposed to share the road? How bout a blue hair? Are they supposed to automagically get out of your way if they're going less than you want to go?

Next time you encounter more than one cyclist, take a second or two to examine the situation. If they singled up and you needed to pass em in a line, how far would you need to be in the opposite lane? How much longer time-wise would it take to get around them? Try timing it. I'm curious exactly how long it is you're 'held up.' My bet is 'less than 60sec.' If you're held up for less than 60sec, what need is there to pull over? Its not like you're having to follow 'us' for miles and miles and miles.

Here's another take on this discussion

M