User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #2746
markk9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Pennsylvania bicyclist loses leg, may face charges in crash

Police say a bicyclist lost his left leg below the knee when he was hit by a car in a Pittsburgh suburb, and may also be cited for causing the crash.
Carnegie police haven't released the name of the bicyclist, a man in his 50s who was seen weaving in and out of traffic before he was hit about 9:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Sgt. Jeffrey Kennedy says nearby surveillance video show the bicyclist turned into oncoming traffic before he was hit. The sergeant also says Carnegie police have had "prior dealings" with the bicyclist, without detailing them.
Allegheny County police are investigating and have told officers in the suburb just west of Pittsburgh that the driver of the car likely will not be charged. Instead, police are trying to determine if the bicyclist was impaired.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/03...#ixzz2Y05QEUom
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #2747
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Sounds like stumpy caused his own problem there. Riding drunk on a bicycle is just as stupid as driving a car impaired.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #2748
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Yup. Some folks have the 'I'm in a crosswalk. Suck it bitches!' mentality. Too bad they can end up 'dead right' by riding/walking/running/blading in front of a moving vehicle.

M
Isn't that sort of the same thing as a bicycle rider declaring 'I own the lane. Suck it bitches!' by riding...in front of a moving vehicle?

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #2749
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
Isn't that sort of the same thing as a bicycle rider declaring 'I own the lane. Suck it bitches!' by riding...in front of a moving vehicle?

Nope. I'm not riding in front of a vehicle as in 'pulling out with no room to spare.' I'm riding in front of a vehicle as in 'I'm already out in the lane.'

In the first instance you have no opportunity to take evasive action in the other, you can see me from a ways back and I'm already riding where I'm riding.

I slide towards the middle of the lane approaching every hill, corner, and to a lesser extent when oncoming traffic's approaching regardless of whether I can hear a car coming from behind me or not. ...and as soon as its safe, I slide right back over a few feet to ride closer to the right side of the road.

Think lane positioning on a MC. If you don't ride where you're most visible, you WILL get clobbered. I'm simply riding where I'm most visible and coincidentally, managing the space at hand for the person approaching from behind as well.

M
Old 07-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #2750
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Sounds like stumpy caused his own problem there. Riding drunk on a bicycle is just as stupid as driving a car impaired.
Now, I'm not about to say that riding anything when drunk is a Good Idea, HOWEVER - if you HAD to travel further than you'd want to walk and had more than .008 coursing through your veins, I have to say that in my view, riding a 15 pound, self-propelled bicycle is DEFINATELY preferable to getting on a motorized bike or into 4,000 pounds of steel and glass.

Sure, you could get hurt on the bike, but I think you'd have a much harder time injuring OTHERS, and that counts for something - of course if you CAUSED a vehicular accident with your inebriated peddle-pushing, you'd still be rightfully in a lot of trouble, but think just how many innocents might have been spared if that 200hp sedan had been a Schwinn.
RedShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #2751
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
Nope. I'm not riding in front of a vehicle as in 'pulling out with no room to spare.' I'm riding in front of a vehicle as in 'I'm already out in the lane.'

In the first instance you have no opportunity to take evasive action in the other, you can see me from a ways back and I'm already riding where I'm riding.

I slide towards the middle of the lane approaching every hill, corner, and to a lesser extent when oncoming traffic's approaching regardless of whether I can hear a car coming from behind me or not. ...and as soon as its safe, I slide right back over a few feet to ride closer to the right side of the road.

Think lane positioning on a MC. If you don't ride where you're most visible, you WILL get clobbered. I'm simply riding where I'm most visible and coincidentally, managing the space at hand for the person approaching from behind as well.

M
I guess I was hinting more toward the difference in speeds (and maybe direction). Afterall, that's what happens in all multi-entity crashes. In either case, a car and a pedestrian/bicycle is trying to occupy the same space at the same time. And I guess in either case, you're counting on the driver of the car not to hit you. I don't have that much faith in drivers anymore. That's where I was going with the crosswalk thing. Cars aren't supposed to hit you, but they just might anyway.

I approach lane positioning on a moto a bit differently. I don't worry about visibility too much. I assume I'm mostly invisible anyway. I position myself according to where I think I need to be at the moment considering MY ability to see and react. Then again, I avoid roads on the moto just about as religiously as I do on the bicycle these days. I quit that shit last year when I sold my 'road bike'. I LOVE riding motorcycles on the road, but the 'smartphone in every hand' made me give it up. I saw a guy watching a movie on the phone in his hand as he was driving down I-70 the other day. Until that kinda thing becomes a felony, I'm out.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #2752
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,764
Quote:
Its not like you're having to follow 'us' for miles and miles and miles.

Here's another take on this discussion

M
Not always true. I read the article in that link, which states that it might be illegal to pass a bicycle in a "no passing zone". There is at least one highway near my home that has a 30 mile stretch of no passing zone. Even assuming a brisk pace of 30 mph through the foothills, that is a long wait to pass.

The other day I was riding my v-twin motorcycle, which could sound like a car to those not familiar with them, when I came upon a bicycle. It was a blind curve, and he pulled out into the right tire track to block the lane. Even though there was oncoming traffic, I continued on my way in the left tire track. For a brief moment, he had a look of utter shock on his face as he thought a car was squeezing through. Although there was still about 3 feet between us, it would have been safer had he stayed on the white line.

I personally won't even ride in a bike lane. If a car is coming, I'll bunny hop up onto the sidewalk or ride in the dirt. I won't trust my life to a texting teen...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #2753
rob feature
Domain Ranger

And I guess now that I think about it, that last statement I made seems a bit contradictory to the point I was trying to make - that laws themselves don't actually protect you on the road. But the texting & all that other mess are still pretty well accepted as okay by what seems like most drivers. Until the public sees it as being as dangerous as it really is, nothing will change. And I've seen very little in the way of public acceptance of putting the phone away 'till you're stopped.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #2754
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Washington State law:

RCW 46.61.770
Riding on roadways and bicycle paths.
(1) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place shall ride as near to the right side of the right through lane as is safe except as may be appropriate while preparing to make or while making turning movements, or while overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction. A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway or highway other than a limited-access highway, which roadway or highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near to the left side of the left through lane as is safe. A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway may use the shoulder of the roadway or any specially designated bicycle lane if such exists.
(2) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

Emphasis mine.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #2755
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
Washington State law:

RCW 46.61.770
(1) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place shall ride as near to the right side of the right through lane as is safe except as may be appropriate while preparing to make or while making turning movements, or while overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction. A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway or highway other than a limited-access highway, which roadway or highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near to the left side of the left through lane as is safe. A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway may use the shoulder of the roadway or any specially designated bicycle lane if such exists.
(2) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

Emphasis mine.
Pretty standard language. What's your point besides demonstrating that you can cut n paste?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #2756
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quick update on the lady hit by the Sub from above: someone evidently knows someone (or is related to a cop I don't remember which) that saw the police report.

Initial investigation is leaning towards she blew the stop sign.

It may have been closer to 'I see that SUV but based on what I *think* its speed is, I have time... WHAM!' People fly down the stretch of road she got hit on, so

I don't trust drivers near the road crossings on the W&OD farther than I can toss their cars, so I make sure that A. its clear enough both ways to get across or B. they're completely stopped.

@RF: I get what you're saying. In the 20yrs I've been riding, I've found that if I ride closer to the middle of the lane, people slow down and wait till they can see. When I stayed right, they didn't slow down at all and either squeezed me or they were in the other lane in an unsafe spot.

I LIKE being alive. I'm sure you do to. Working together, we can all get down the road safely.

M
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #2757
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
Washington State law:

RCW 46.61.770

Emphasis mine.
Define "as is safe".

Who's responsibility is it to determine that for the cyclist?
Old 07-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #2758
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
Now, I'm not about to say that riding anything when drunk is a Good Idea, HOWEVER - if you HAD to travel further than you'd want to walk and had more than .008 coursing through your veins, I have to say that in my view, riding a 15 pound, self-propelled bicycle is DEFINATELY preferable to getting on a motorized bike or into 4,000 pounds of steel and glass...
No arguement that it's more dangerous to drive a motorized vehicle impaired but, it's still just as stupid to pedal a bike impaired. Ask stumpy.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #2759
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 755
http://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing...-pay-road-tax/
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #2760
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 755
https://mobile.twitter.com/cyclehatred