Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #2851
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Q1) So you'd rather have the cyclist ride in the lane ALL the time, rather than occupying the verge?

Q2) A merging vehicle does need to merge. Do they have to stop and wait for every vehicle behind them for 10 km to pass before 'merging'? I've had people blow their horns .. when they are 300 meters away in a 60kmh zone.. how much space/time do they need?

A glance over the should should be enough to identify the traffic conditions and merge. It is not reasonable to expect a slow moving vehicle not to slow traffic when it merges.. take a turn going up the hill .. they don't stop and they do merge.
Q1 I just want them to obey the law. If I dived out into the next lane without looking and giving way I would expect that a collision would occur.

Q2. You leave as much as required to avoid a collision at the moment I have experienced a lot of bicycles and cars not leave enough. 3 seconds would be a good start

A glance over the shoulder only shows the last 5 m which certainly isn't enough

Saying a merging vehicle needs to merge is like validating someone getting car doored because the driver has to exit the car. Stupidity

Vertical C screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 08:27 PM
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #2852
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post

Q2. You leave as much as required to avoid a collision at the moment I have experienced a lot of bicycles and cars not leave enough. 3 seconds would be a good start
Look at it this way .. if it were a semi trailer merging at 20 kmh you'd MAKE SPACE and slow down... but because it is a bicycle you won't.

Ok?

The law? see No 4 on http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads...road_rules.pdf
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #2853
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Look at it this way .. if it were a semi trailer merging at 20 kmh you'd MAKE SPACE and slow down... but because it is a bicycle you won't.

Ok?

The law? see No 4 on http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads...road_rules.pdf
Of course I do, just like i avoid the collision from cyclists. However I shouldnt have to avoid people riding around with scant respect for the law, and I dont understand how you can defend the behaviour.

Nmber 4 is not the scenario we are talking about, we are talking about crossing a solid line into another lane without looking and or giving way. There is no solid line in scenario 4.

It is simple, if you are going to cross a dividing line into another lane then you should make sure the path is clear for the minimum of three seconds. It is probably the reason for a lot of cyclist deaths the vagrancy of this rule as it appears to be commonplace. If i had to pul out from a kerb I would wait for the cyclist to go past I am just asking for the same respect.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #2854
grelcar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I had a close encounter with some bicyclist over the July 4 holiday weekend on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I came around a fairly tight curve at or below the speed limit to find three bicyclist stopped, feet down, 3 abreast in the middle of the road. There was a car coming in the opposite lane. I sped up and went around them before the car reached them as there was no way I could have stopped in time to not run in to them. As I went past them one of them yelled "slow down asshole". Had I been in a car there is no way I could have avoided them without going head on into the oncoming car. There was a scenic pull off probably 100 yards further down the road.
grelcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #2855
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,034
Driving home last night on HIGHWAY 395, an 8 lane highway, there was a cop who had pulled over a bicycle, a bicycle!

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 07:30 AM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #2856
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Driving home last night on HIGHWAY 395, an 8 lane highways, there was a cop who had pulled over a bicycle, a bicycle!

Jim

On 395? That dude have a deathwish or something? I don't even like going near 4 land divided Highways pedaling.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #2857
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by grelcar View Post
I had a close encounter with some bicyclist over the July 4 holiday weekend on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I came around a fairly tight curve at or below the speed limit to find three bicyclist stopped, feet down, 3 abreast in the middle of the road. There was a car coming in the opposite lane. I sped up and went around them before the car reached them as there was no way I could have stopped in time to not run in to them. As I went past them one of them yelled "slow down asshole". Had I been in a car there is no way I could have avoided them without going head on into the oncoming car. There was a scenic pull off probably 100 yards further down the road.
There are idiots on all vehicles,bikes,motorcycles,cars,trucks,semis.
Humans at work.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #2858
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
"Can we all get along?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Hey Jim..I apologize
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
my apologies as well!
See, its already starting to work!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #2859
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
There are idiots on all vehicles,bikes,motorcycles,cars,trucks,semis.
Humans at work.
This thread is about bicycles. You trying to invalidate his concerns for his safety by misdirection is not wanted.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #2860
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by grelcar View Post
So, then what would you have done if it was a down tree in the road, or a wrecked motorcycle, or a deer, or...... and the car was too close for you to use the opposite lane?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #2861
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR View Post
So, then what would you have done if it was a down tree in the road, or a wrecked motorcycle, or a deer, or...... and the car was too close for you to use the opposite lane?
Thats the equivalent of saying the same thing to a cyclist that has been car doored (which would be just as ridiculous). Why are you defending bad behaviour just because it is a cyclist?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #2862
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
The cyclists had a CHOICE as to where they stopped. The other scenarios fall into the category of shit happens. You cannot compare them. You must think it is OK for cyclists, or cars, or people - all who have a choice and control over their actions - to stop in the middle of blind corners, risking their own lives and the lives of others. I'd love to know why you think that is ok.

You could easily turn this around. A group of cyclists are on a canyon descent. Curvy, good speed, having fun enjoying the ride. A car decides to randomly stop around a blind corner. The cyclists are going at a good clip and are unable to stop or evade the car and they crash into it. As we know, the car wins and the cyclists are injured, bikes destroyed. Who is at fault, cyclists or car? Even if the cyclists were speeding I would say the car as NOBODY should randomly stop around a tight corner in a mountain canyon. Would you agree? If so, how is that different than the cyclists stopping in the road?
GrizGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #2863
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
The cyclists had a CHOICE as to where they stopped. The other scenarios fall into the category of shit happens. You cannot compare them. You must think it is OK for cyclists, or cars, or people - all who have a choice and control over their actions - to stop in the middle of blind corners, risking their own lives and the lives of others. I'd love to know why you think that is ok.

You could easily turn this around. A group of cyclists are on a canyon descent. Curvy, good speed, having fun enjoying the ride. A car decides to randomly stop around a blind corner. The cyclists are going at a good clip and are unable to stop or evade the car and they crash into it. As we know, the car wins and the cyclists are injured, bikes destroyed. Who is at fault, cyclists or car? Even if the cyclists were speeding I would say the car as NOBODY should randomly stop around a tight corner in a mountain canyon. Would you agree? If so, how is that different than the cyclists stopping in the road?
No, I think it's irresponsible to ride or drive at a speed that exceeds your ability to stop within your sight lines.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #2864
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
No, I think it's irresponsible to ride or drive at a speed that exceeds your ability to stop within your sight lines.
That is a statement beyond reproach........................

But as we all know that also doesn't reflect reality, and cant be counted on.

Make your choices based on the real world as it actually exists, not as you think it should be.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #2865
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
That is a statement beyond reproach........................

But as we all know that also doesn't reflect reality, and cant be counted on.

Make your choices based on the real world as it actually exists, not as you think it should be.
In other words..
Car and Motorcycle operators are irresponsible and it's going to stay that way so cower in fear any time you are near the road, you never know what idiotic behavior they will excuse by falsely laying blame on the innocent victims of their self centered behavior.