Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #2971
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
The cyclists original story, when this first hit the news, was that the driver honked, he passed, and half way down the hill he braked. They said he brake checked them half way down the hill. Witnesses in cars have confirmed this. Their story is just evolving to fit their situation so they don't look like they were doing anything wrong.

I've passed cyclists on the tops of hills, when it is safe and I can see, and they draft me. Sometimes I think they are actually hanging onto the car they are so close. It scares the shit out of me and I do everything I can to make no sudden movements or to slow down quickly including avoiding even touching my brakes. This happens a lot more than it should, by the way, it is not something that is rare around here. As you know the roads are curvy around here so trying to drive safely down a curvy hill with a drop off while trying to take care of the asshole behind me is not a good situation.

If the original story that he passed and then halfway down the hill braked is true there is a good chance these guys were drafting him down the hill. Whether he brake checked them or stopped for a car is beside the point, they were following too closely. It sucks for all involved but I suspect there is fault on both parties for what happened and that the truth lies somewhere between both of their stories.
I didn't catch the original story. Found this one on slowtwitch.

Sounds like a repeat of the Dr in CA...

There was a video on FB (since removed) by a mouth-breathing idiot pissed at cyclists 'cause they were riding 2 x 2 (legal in CO). He's pissed they're breaking the law as he passes half a dozen cars AND the pack of cyclists as he's filming ranting about them. Guess he didn't catch the irony.

M
Old 07-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #2972
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 760
More people are killed on U.S. roads every year than in terrorist attacks of the past several decades.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/pu...rism-2002-2005

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx
Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #2973
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Emma Way Charged

Looks like Emma Way was charged with 3 counts ( careless driving, failing to stop after an accident and failing to report an accident ) and will have to answer for these charges August 16.

Update - http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...?utm_hp_ref=uk
Rajin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #2974
sloweddy
Tree Hugger

Oddometer: 93
Article Is About BMW Cars - BMW Motorcyclists Are Much Nicer I'm Sure

From Slate:

"Why BMW Drivers Are Jerks to Cyclists
I have four theories."
By David Plotz|

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/a..._bicycles.html
Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #2975
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloweddy View Post
From Slate:

"Why BMW Drivers Are Jerks to Cyclists
I have four theories."
By David Plotz|

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/a..._bicycles.html

I thought BWM drivers were just jerks.

I had some dumb bitch in an X-5 nearly hit me pulling onto the shoulder, only to take off again, then stop, then go then stop then go. Till I got sick of it jumped down to a train track service path and just went around here.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #2976
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post
I couldn't vote. I don't know what kind of vehicle you drive/ride.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #2977
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post

Thanks for the tip, missed that thread.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #2978
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,994
Now this cracked me up....

...from another forum that I visit on occasion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrike4aCure View Post
I should add, ***especially*** if you live in Texas.

I was riding my Vortex along South Shore Harbor drive around 11AM on my way home. I usually ride to the gym - 10 1/2 miles - do my mile swim and/or a Pilates class & then ride home. I'd gotten a late start because of trouble with the valve when I was airing up my tires, so I was about an hour & a half later than usual, making it already 90 degrees outside when I left the gym. I try to be done riding in the summertime before 90 degrees comes along (whatever time that may be) because heat & humidity exacerbate my MS symptoms. When something delays my ride-start, I have to make a tough call: drive to the gym & back, or risk the heat.

Anyway, I was going home along a road in a suburban area that doesn't have much traffic. There are two lanes going each direction with frequent stop signs & lights along the way; a narrow sidewalk runs the length of most of this road, though it's old & the cement is all broken up & uneven. I was in the right lane, about 3 feet from the curb (there's no shoulder). A middle-aged male driver in a 2-seater silver convertible pulled up alongside of me, slowed & then yelled out, "Get off the road! Go ride on the sidewalk, bitch!" Then he gunned it.

Though I wasn't trying, I caught up to him in a couple of blocks. There's an entrance to a golf course where the carts have the right of way at a crossing, which meant the convertible's driver had had to wait for them to putt-putt through the intersection. I pulled up in the lane next to him & when the guy looked over at me, I smiled. (My grandmother taught me that nothing unnerves a rude person more than returning bad behavior with a big smile, so this has become a habit of mine.) And then I swear I do not for the life of me know what came over me. I suddenly found myself smiling even bigger, and then I said, "Cycling on the sidewalk's illegal, bitch."

The light turned green, and I pedaled away. I looked in my mirror & the guy was just sitting there at the intersection. Then after a bit he drove to the next block & turned off that road.

Oh. My. God. This is proof positive that heat makes people do things they'd normally not do! And further proof that heat makes me, personally, stupid-crazy.
For the record, the poster is almost 50 and female. Don't mess with Texas wimmin.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #2979
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Interesting take on riding in the US from the Dutch

M
Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #2980
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
....uhhh.. Yeah I see police pulling over cyclists on sidewalks all the time. Like a fucking epidemic man.

I get the city. To much foot traffic.

..but in the suburbs.. What's wrong with a sidewalk a.k.a. bike path?

I never understood that.

I also don't understand why you'd want to ride a two lane 55 MPH road with no shoulder. Blows my mind.
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #2981
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
....uhhh.. Yeah I see police pulling over cyclists on sidewalks all the time. Like a fucking epidemic man.

I get the city. To much foot traffic.

..but in the suburbs.. What's wrong with a sidewalk a.k.a. bike path?

I never understood that.

I also don't understand why you'd want to ride a two lane 55 MPH road with no shoulder. Blows my mind.
Try it some time and see for yourself.

Evidently nothing I'M saying is sinking in.

M
Old 07-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #2982
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
Unbelievable.

Yesterday I was riding around Hunterdon County in New Jersey when I ran into some of the most dangerous, selfish bicyclists I have ever come across.

All of them were middle-aged plus, fully decked out, and clearly racing each other on the country roads. With no other vehicles in site, they immediately darted out into the middle of the road once they heard me approaching, in what was obviously an attempt to block me off.

The first one took over the entire lane, on a straight, but once he stopped swerving and tracked on one line I downshifted and blew past him.

The second actually cut across me right before a turn, cut over into the oncoming lane to make the turn and forced me to pass him on the far left as well after the road straightened out again.

The last fellow acted more like a "normal" cyclist but I guess that was because he was "winning" and not in some last ditch attempt to scrimp milliseconds.

I am usually fairly tolerant of bicyclists, but racing is racing and it is just as dangerous to others on a push bike as it is in a motor vehicle. If anyone came around that corner opposite the way this bicycle was travelling, there would have been an accident....no time or space available....and would have either went off the road or veered into me.

Even when I am on a spirited ride, I will not tolerate letting myself cross the line and I do not swerve into other lanes just to defend my "line" on the street. I wish I had my camera running, I was absolutely stunned by these guys.
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #2983
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoUglyEarly View Post
Unbelievable.

Yesterday I was riding around Hunterdon County in New Jersey when I ran into some of the most dangerous, selfish bicyclists I have ever come across.

All of them were middle-aged plus, fully decked out, and clearly racing each other on the country roads. With no other vehicles in site, they immediately darted out into the middle of the road once they heard me approaching, in what was obviously an attempt to block me off.

The first one took over the entire lane, on a straight, but once he stopped swerving and tracked on one line I downshifted and blew past him.

The second actually cut across me right before a turn, cut over into the oncoming lane to make the turn and forced me to pass him on the far left as well after the road straightened out again.

The last fellow acted more like a "normal" cyclist but I guess that was because he was "winning" and not in some last ditch attempt to scrimp milliseconds.

I am usually fairly tolerant of bicyclists, but racing is racing and it is just as dangerous to others on a push bike as it is in a motor vehicle. If anyone came around that corner opposite the way this bicycle was travelling, there would have been an accident....no time or space available....and would have either went off the road or veered into me.

Even when I am on a spirited ride, I will not tolerate letting myself cross the line and I do not swerve into other lanes just to defend my "line" on the street. I wish I had my camera running, I was absolutely stunned by these guys.
The actions you described in this post aren't indicative of a tolerant road user either.

'Had to pass them on the far left...' No one held a gun to your head and forced you to pass these guys. Especially when there's not enough room on the road
Quote:
'If anyone came around that corner opposite the way this bicycle was travelling, there would have been an accident....no time or space available....and would have either went off the road or veered into me'
Two wrongs DO NOT make a right there Sparky.

...and it doesn't sound like they were 'defending their line' but rather 'setting up for the turn.' Even a moto rider can understand 'setting up for the turn.' Right?

I've BTDT Yesterday, actually. I was doing the same thing at the head of a line of 20+ cyclists. There's no intent beyond 'I'm riding tires the size of my thumb pumped up to 110psi and traction's limited...'

So... what did we learn yesterday? That people out for a spirited ride can sometimes ride like they're the only road user () and that impatience will eventually kill someone.

What if that'd been a semi-truck swinging into the other lane to make the right turn? Would you have gone around it into the opposite lane to pass it? Would*that* have aggravated you? OR was it the fact that there were guys on bicycles out having a good time that 'got in your way?'

M
Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #2984
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post

doesn't sound like much fun to me either. If I were tired of everything and was hoping for my family to cash in on an insurance policy, that might be a path I'd take. But as I aspire to remain among the living for the time being, I'll have to pass. I'll never understand why folks do this on purpose.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #2985
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post

doesn't sound like much fun to me either. If I were tired of everything and was hoping for my family to cash in on an insurance policy, that might be a path I'd take. But as I aspire to remain among the living for the time being, I'll have to pass. I'll never understand why folks do this on purpose.
So what are the alternatives if that's the ONE road goes from one quiet back road to another quiet back road?

M