High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #3032
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
fat tires and knobbies - skip the roads altogether - much more entertaining
It's fun, that's for sure, but man, I love riding road bikes. Nothing like a 45mph descent to put the thrill in your day.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #3033
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
Grew up riding my BMX and Mountain bikes on bike paths around here.. First ticket was on a pit bike when I was 14 years old on the road my house was on.. Riding an off highway vehicle where prohibited.

Never once.. Ever, ever.. Ticketed for riding my BMX or Mountain bikes on the road (/edit oops, and by road of course I do actually mean bike path). Maybe cops just hate you guys, too?

I'm starting a petition here in Jefferson County. I think I need 3,000 signatures to get it in front of legislation to introduce a bill to require cyclists to have registration, plates, and insurance. I'm calling my group "CARB" Citizens Against Road Bikers..

I'm commuting once again up Deer Creek Canyon Road to S. Turkey Creek. I've already almost died a few times because of people avoiding cyclists around blind turns when I'm on my 450X... Every time you ass hats are riding 2-3 riders wide, not single file... You clowns don't own the road, this planet is for everyone, not just you.
You know how you feel when people start accusing "you people" of leaving gates open, scaring cattle and riding on private property?

That's exactly how us responsible cyclists feel when you say shit like this. Your actions are just like the ones people apply to restrict off road riding - a few jackasses have ruined it for all of us. It's quite amazing to me that you don't see the parallel or simply choose not to.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #3034
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
It's fun, that's for sure, but man, I love riding road bikes. Nothing like a 45mph descent to put the thrill in your day.

Nailed it! I fookin' love riding 2 wheels, and playing leapfrog at 40+ down a mile long roller coaster is as good as it gets! ( With people you trust, for sure!) PS: I love riding Mtn bikes too, but the speed rush on skinny bikes can't be beat....
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #3035
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Nailed it! I fookin' love riding 2 wheels, and playing leapfrog at 40+ down a mile long roller coaster is as good as it gets! ( With someone you trust, for sure!)
It's pretty cool when you're slingshotting each other down the hill with some drafting.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #3036
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,833
I've begun to dread road rides & have even opted for the trainer instead a few times these past few months. The passive-aggressive bullshit from motorists is too much and I'm in a rural, fairly low population density area. I have, however, lived and ridden in major cities as well. ( Your turf actually, kbasa)

Been pedaling since I was 4 or 5, never stopped- bmx,mtb,road.

I've tried the tough guy routine; you can't fight everybody.

I've tried the friendly conversation approach which often results in a "fuck-off".

I've tried the ignore it approach but it is still stressful.

Really, it just amazes me that it is such a fucking imposition for a motorist to simply give a few feet to a cyclist or pedestrian-especially when there is no oncoming traffic or to slow down and lose what, all of several seconds, to pass after any oncoming. I do.

Why am I deserving of less than human treatment because I'm pedaling a bike? Because I don't have a license plate on my bike? So, the fees from my work & personal vehicles as well as motor cycles don't count then?

The only time I really enjoyed road was on group rides where sheer mass dictates respect. Inevitably though, guys would start riding 2,3 or 4 abreast, run stop signs,etc which causes problems.

I truly don't recall when everybody became "the man" but it really has sucked the pleasure out of many things. Pedaling is one.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #3037
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post

Why am I deserving of less than human treatment because I'm pedaling a bike? Because I don't have a license plate on my bike? So, the fees from my work & personal vehicles as well as motor cycles don't count then?
No shit. We have 7 actively registered vehicles in our house. That's not enough?

Old 08-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #3038
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
No shit. We have 7 actively registered vehicles in our house. That's not enough?
the old "we car drivers own the roads" is old and busted. I don't have the stats but I'm guessing that the majority of road bike owners aren't exactly in an economic group that own a single old n busted beater or no street registered vehicle at all. not that there's anything wrong with that, by any account it really is irrelevant, but I'm just saying that I think the majority pay their fair share in "road tax".
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #3039
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,844
Some dood named Ryan rides a bicycle... as in Ryan Dungey!

M
Old 08-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #3040
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,189
AMS mom's kid carter - rail track is hot.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #3041
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 723
Latest murder by car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKF_kByCfEU

Definatley some bikes in the video, but it seems he tried to run over any and everyone he could.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #3042
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,319
Quote:
I have been wanting to try some velodrome action. Looks like it'd be a fun winter thing.

I just can't get over 2 parts of road biking - the bikes themselves (for very long anyway) and having to play in the street.

But velodrome - flying around a banked track at irresponsible speeds - somehow that's very appealing. At least from an outsider's perspective.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #3043
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,844
Quote:
I have been wanting to try some velodrome action. Looks like it'd be a fun winter thing.

I just can't get over 2 parts of road biking - the bikes themselves (for very long anyway) and having to play in the street.

But velodrome - flying around a banked track at irresponsible speeds - somehow that's very appealing. At least from an outsider's perspective.
Its a lot of fun and very hard at the same time. Only thing I've ever done that's harder is racing cx.

...and it finally happened. Got tagged by a mirror today as a car then a truck tried to pass the group I was in in an unsafe spot. They got partway past the group coming to a small rise and lo and behold! a car's coming the other way! Whoda thunk that there's TWO WAY TRAFFIC on this here road?!

Felt the mirror hit my shoulder as the truck was crowding me off the road so I hit out with my left hand. Hit the window.

Guy pulls up next to me and says 'if you hit my truck again, I'm going to run you off the road.'

'You already did shitfer brains!

Irony of irony it was a memorial ride for a guy that got hit by a car not a mile or so down the road!

M
Old 08-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #3044
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,574
A few days ago, I was riding my usual laps around Hunter AAF on Perimeter Road. It was a long straight (by the POL/railyard). As a box truck approached in the oncoming lane, I glanced in my mirror and noticed the vehicle behind me was going to be at about the same spot as the box truck as it passed me. I put my left hand back to wave "stay back". No, I do not expect cagers to abide by my suggestion. I had about 3' to swerve to the right. The cager floored it and straddled the double yellow as she passed with me on her right and the box truck on her left.

I caught up to her at the base gas station. After rolling down the window, she immediately apologized (admits fault?) but stated that she was almost out of fuel and had to hurry to the gas station.

I simply replied: "If my wife had seen that pass you put on me, she would be very angry at you"

The next day a coworker called me (he was behind the cager). He couldn't believe his eyes that some driver (in this case a military dependent) would endanger her and my life so recklessly.

Luckily, I was a few feet off the white line and was able to swerve right as she passed. As it was, the box truck slammed on the brakes and dropped his right side tires off the road. It's quite narrow with no shoulder. Had I been closer to the fog line, I'm afraid that she might have ran me off the road since I would not have had room to swerve to the right. The box truck took up the width of his lane. The cagers subcompact and me would not fit in one lane (between the lines).

Things I've ate/cooked.
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #3045
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 543
Quote:

Traffic is fun. Like frogger with only one life per quarter.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is online now   Reply With Quote