ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #3076
NC BMW Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: West Jefferson, NC
Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Do you support the same type of penalty for motorists who kill cyclists? The example above is the first one I've ever seen where a cyclist killed someone but there are hundreds if not thousands of incidents where cyclists were killed by drivers.
Sure do. Do you condone what this guy did?

I'm sure there are other instances where cyclists killed/maimed others, we just have not heard about it.
NC BMW Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #3077
filmfan
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: live free or die
Oddometer: 642
If the dog is already in the street, heading for them might work on a bicycle too, but it's hard to be as intimidating as you might on a moto.
If out running them, or speeding up as they are crossing their yard doesn't work, I've had moderately good results with shouting "No!" or "Go Home!".
But most of the time if you can stay ahead of them until they get to the end of what they consider their territory then you're set.

I had a lab a few weeks ago that took off out of his driveway as a moto was rolling by me, I think he was going after the moto first, but decided i was an easier chase, and kept going well beyond the normal distance. I ended up turning around and "towing" him back to his house and his grateful owner.

Today it was a billy goat, no chasing, but he was out of his pen, and next to the road. Turned around, headed to the driveway nearest the pen and told the person there they had a goat loose on the road...

At least I don't need to worry about cars quite as much as you guys in the urban centers, in an hour and a half I encountered maybe 10 cars.
One of them even hesitated behind me a bit approaching a blind corner, 'til I could wave him around when I had a good sight line. (doesn't happen often).
filmfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #3078
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC BMW Rider View Post
Sure do. Do you condone what this guy did?

I'm sure there are other instances where cyclists killed/maimed others, we just have not heard about it.
Oh he'll no. And, not only do I not ride like that, I call out others when they do stupid shit.

Oh, and other cyclists are injuring others, we'd hear about it. I see occasional reports out of NYC.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #3079
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Oh he'll no. And, not only do I not ride like that, I call out others when they do stupid shit.

Oh, and other cyclists are injuring others, we'd hear about it. I see occasional reports out of NYC and SF.
Its such a rare occasion when a cyclists seriously injures or kills someone that you hear about it almost immediately. The 'get off my road!' crowd makes sure of that.

...but kill a cyclist with a car and its a blip on the radar. Only the egregious violators get noticed. Like that chick in the UK tweeting about it or the MD in CA that ended up losing his medical license.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #3080
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer
 
yeroc40's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Neenah, WI
Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...but kill a cyclist with a car and its a blip on the radar. Only the egregious violators get noticed. Like that chick in the UK tweeting about it or the MD in CA that ended up losing his medical license.

M
Yup, only a year in jail, for killing a man.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #3081
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer
 
KoolBreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: lower west side USofA
Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
Screw that. Yeah, some of the users can get annoying, but it's FAR safer in my eyes than sharing streets with cars & trucks. It's always puzzled me to see a cyclist using the road right next to a MUP - even an empty one. The thing can be clear for miles and the bike still uses the road . Different strokes I reckon.

Oh no... not when in good shape physically and on a training ride. (or even commuting) street is the place to be on a road bike.

otoh... when riding a "city bike" or mountain bike etc and out puttering around, it's all good.

what I am saying is there is a huge difference between those rides/riders... in fact far more than a KLR and a CBR. kinda like a professional 10k runner strolling through a mall. it's just not the same.

basically this really is a hard concept to fully appreciate without "living it". understanding this is part of how this whole issue is so poignant.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #3082
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer
 
KoolBreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: lower west side USofA
Oddometer: 608
"le tour" (tour de france) is around 2000 miles in about 3 weeks.

the traditional "ironman" in Hawaii is 112 miles.

just a couple examples of thousands of competitions around the world. (and should be in the tens of thousands if we all want to be healthy and happy)

cycling is a blast and more people should be enjoying it... (including me)
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #3083
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Digasi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Salem, OR
Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Its such a rare occasion when a cyclists seriously injures or kills someone that you hear about it almost immediately. The 'get off my road!' crowd makes sure of that.

...but kill a cyclist with a car and its a blip on the radar. Only the egregious violators get noticed. Like that chick in the UK tweeting about it or the MD in CA that ended up losing his medical license.

M
Traffic fatalities in general are treated like that. Part of a larger problem we have in our societies view point on the dangers of drivers/riders. I personally believe that drivers/riders and yes cyclist need to be held to a higher level then what they currently are.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #3084
rob feature
Domain Ranger
 
rob feature's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 4,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
Oh no... not when in good shape physically and on a training ride. (or even commuting) street is the place to be on a road bike.

otoh... when riding a "city bike" or mountain bike etc and out puttering around, it's all good.

what I am saying is there is a huge difference between those rides/riders... in fact far more than a KLR and a CBR. kinda like a professional 10k runner strolling through a mall. it's just not the same.

basically this really is a hard concept to fully appreciate without "living it". understanding this is part of how this whole issue is so poignant.
I putter around very little. I do it, but most of the time, I'm moving at ~ 20 MPH on the MUPs. That's if I'm on one of the fat tire rigs...kinda all I have going at the moment. 99% of the time, there's no conflict whatsoever.

I think I'll never fully appreciate the road thing. I'd do like a ride where the roads were shut off to cars - Ride the Rockies sorta dealie, but I'm nowhere near thinking getting out there in traffic will be something happy. Nerp. Y'all can have that stuff.
__________________

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #3085
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
I putter around very little. I do it, but most of the time, I'm moving at ~ 20 MPH on the MUPs. That's if I'm on one of the fat tire rigs...kinda all I have going at the moment. 99% of the time, there's no conflict whatsoever.

I think I'll never fully appreciate the road thing. I'd do like a ride where the roads were shut off to cars - Ride the Rockies sorta dealie, but I'm nowhere near thinking getting out there in traffic will be something happy. Nerp. Y'all can have that stuff.
99% of the people I encounter are pretty considerate. Its the 1% that y'all hear about.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #3086
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rajin Cajun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Louisiana
Oddometer: 475
It finally happened....

Well, Just returned home from the ER. Nothing broken but in a LOT of pain... I was 18 miles into my morning ride when a 1 Ton dually rolled up to a STOP sign and rolled through the intersection trying to beat traffic. I T-boned him in the drivers side door. If i had been 3' further I'm sure I wouldn't be typing now... The Venge is totalled but i'm still walking so I'm thankful for that!
Rajin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #3087
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajin Cajun View Post
Well, Just returned home from the ER. Nothing broken but in a LOT of pain... I was 18 miles into my morning ride when a 1 Ton dually rolled up to a STOP sign and rolled through the intersection trying to beat traffic. I T-boned him in the drivers side door. If i had been 3' further I'm sure I wouldn't be typing now... The Venge is totalled but i'm still walking so I'm thankful for that!
Jeebus man - glad to hear that you're somewhat ok. What happened in the aftermath? Did the police show up? Was the driver cited? Did he accept responsibility assuming it was his fault...and it sounds like there's no question of that.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #3088
rob feature
Domain Ranger
 
rob feature's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 4,414


ouch!

good to hear you're gonna heal up
__________________

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #3089
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rajin Cajun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Louisiana
Oddometer: 475
Hi guys. Yes, the driver accepted responsibility and there were several witnesses that observed the accident. I really don't remember too much as it happened so fast. I have to say that the local PD / Fire Department & Paramedics responded very quickly and were extremely professional. At first they thought I was at fault because of the position I was in when they arrived on scene but I was moved out of the roadway to prevent any further accidents. I was immobilized on a spine board and taken to the ER for X-rays and exams which all turned out good. No broken bones, etc but I was given lortab & a few other prescriptions. As for my bike, it's trashed..... I'll take a pic or two as soon as I can lift my arm. The right side of my body is in sooo much pain & my left knee took a pretty good lick too. Be careful out there guys!
Rajin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #3090
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajin Cajun View Post
Hi guys. Yes, the driver accepted responsibility and there were several witnesses that observed the accident. I really don't remember too much as it happened so fast. I have to say that the local PD / Fire Department & Paramedics responded very quickly and were extremely professional. At first they thought I was at fault because of the position I was in when they arrived on scene but I was moved out of the roadway to prevent any further accidents. I was immobilized on a spine board and taken to the ER for X-rays and exams which all turned out good. No broken bones, etc but I was given lortab & a few other prescriptions. As for my bike, it's trashed..... I'll take a pic or two as soon as I can lift my arm. The right side of my body is in sooo much pain & my left knee took a pretty good lick too. Be careful out there guys!
Wow - quite the story. Was the driver ticketed?

I can only imagine what went through your mind as it appeared in front of you. Heal soon!
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014