Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #3106
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
shouldnt be allowed on the road imo

they pay no road tax while everyone else does here in the uk, have no insurance while everyone else has to, even though they can and do cause accidents, and most dont wear any protective gear at all or even a helmet. also they have no training they just go out on the road, they are meant to act like a motorcycle on the road, but i see them run red lights etc all the time and nearly cause accidents. roads are narrower here than in america too so less room for them, they really cause an obstruction.

modern roads are no place for something like a bicycle tbh, except for running short errands in town.
1. Most own cars, have jobs, spend money. I think some where in there they pay taxes ;)

2. True, but how much damage do they cause to others? Is this damage being unpaid by the cyclist that does them or so much that they can't really pay for the damage caused? I have had situations created by a cyclist in which could have caused extensive damage to my bike and myself, but that is rare compared to motorist.

3. Yep, unfortunately there is a group of cyclist that think they rules don't apply to them. What to do about it? Guess we could start ticketing them just like motorist.

4. Again, agree that there is a group of cyclist that clog the roads and don't share. They think because they have the right to the road (I agree here) that they don't need to share the road with others (don't agree). Kind of the same attitude we see with you.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #3107
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,411
New ped/bike (MUT) that opened on the Bay Bridge at noon today:

There're spots of mass chaos, but overall, looks like any other MUT: people randomly stopped in the trail, riding erratically, etc

M
Old 09-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #3108
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
New ped/bike (MUT) that opened on the Bay Bridge at noon today:

There're spots of mass chaos, but overall, looks like any other MUT: people randomly stopped in the trail, riding erratically, etc

M
The chaos continues when they find it doesn't go all the way to SF!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #3109
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
The chaos continues when they find it doesn't go all the way to SF!
At least you can get across the bay.

Otherwise?

M
Old 09-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #3110
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
At least you can get across the bay.

Otherwise?

M
Indeed, it's a big step, and I'm sure nearly everyone is happy they can ride to Yerba Buena/Treasure Island and then wave/call/send smoke signals to their friends on shore in SF.

"Can you come pick me up?"

Otherwise, it's bikes on BART. Which doesn't stop on YB/Treasure Island.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #3111
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Just sayin

M
Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #3112
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:

Just sayin

M
Now that I'm spending lots of time in the city anymore, constantly watching you folks blow red lights and stop signs makes me think this message could wear a few hats. Some pun intended.

Just sayin

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #3113
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
Now that I'm spending lots of time in the city anymore, constantly watching you folks blow red lights and stop signs makes me think this message could wear a few hats. Some pun intended.

Just sayin
You folks? I can't remember the last time I blew a light.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #3114
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I suddenly feel the need to elaborate . Roadies who disregard red lights and stop signs. Or merely treat them as fast-yield signs...AKA bomb it as soon as I think it's gonna be clear.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #3115
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
I suddenly feel the need to elaborate . Roadies who disregard red lights and stop signs. Or merely treat them as fast-yield signs...AKA bomb it as soon as I think it's gonna be clear.

No worries. I knew what you meant.

Guys who ride like that are not tolerated in our group. We're pretty serious about going fast....safely.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #3116
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,719
I blow reds all the time.

At T intercetions where I'm not crossing traffic and on the shoulder. That is it through.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:05 AM   #3117
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Personally, I've never blown anything. Light, seal, etc.

Quote:
CAMROSE, Alberta (VN) — Jason McCartney (Bissell) received an early birthday surprise this week in Edmonton. A day before the veteran professional rider turned 40 on Tuesday, an incident unlike anything in his career left him feeling the years, at least temporarily.

Out for a training ride on Monday morning before the Tour of Alberta, McCartney’s Bissell teammates were slow-rolling on a city bike path, coexisting with people out on a sunny Labour Day. From the other direction, a rollerblader skated toward the team and it was apparent something was up.

“I was riding on the front and I saw this guy coming up and he was a little angry,” said Kirk Carlsen, the 26-year-old who joined the team earlier this year. “All of a sudden, we looked back and Jason was on the ground.”

McCartney didn’t have a chance.

“I didn’t see him because I was at the back,” he said. “And then he just put his shoulder into me a hockey-checked me. It totally took me off my bike and broke my helmet.”

At first, McCartney didn’t know what had happened and took the courteous route.

“I had no idea that he did it on purpose,” he said before Wednesday’s first stage. “So I get up, walk over, and make sure he’s OK, pick up his sunglasses, hand him his sunglasses, shake his hand.

“And then I realized he did it on purpose, so then it was, like, ‘Screw that guy.’”

The run-in left McCartney with some nagging soreness, mostly in his neck, but he was able to start Tuesday night’s prologue. He finished 48th of 117 riders, 52 seconds back of winner Peter Sagan (Cannondale).

It also left him wondering, because he said it was a first for him.

“It was pretty rude,” he said. “I mean, you’re on a bike path where there are families and you make room and just be nice to other people. So I didn’t understand that.”

Teammate Andrew Dalheim, 25, said he did, sort of.

“My theory is that he was getting ready for [Edmonton] Oilers tryouts or something,” said Dalheim.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #3118
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 689
Quote:

CAMROSE, Alberta (VN) — Jason McCartney (Bissell) received an early birthday surprise this week in Edmonton. A day before the veteran professional rider turned 40 on Tuesday, an incident unlike anything in his career left him feeling the years, at least temporarily.

Out for a training ride on Monday morning before the Tour of Alberta, McCartney’s Bissell teammates were slow-rolling on a city bike path, coexisting with people out on a sunny Labour Day. From the other direction, a rollerblader skated toward the team and it was apparent something was up.

“I was riding on the front and I saw this guy coming up and he was a little angry,” said Kirk Carlsen, the 26-year-old who joined the team earlier this year. “All of a sudden, we looked back and Jason was on the ground.”

McCartney didn’t have a chance.

“I didn’t see him because I was at the back,” he said. “And then he just put his shoulder into me a hockey-checked me. It totally took me off my bike and broke my helmet.”

At first, McCartney didn’t know what had happened and took the courteous route.

“I had no idea that he did it on purpose,” he said before Wednesday’s first stage. “So I get up, walk over, and make sure he’s OK, pick up his sunglasses, hand him his sunglasses, shake his hand.

“And then I realized he did it on purpose, so then it was, like, ‘Screw that guy.’”

The run-in left McCartney with some nagging soreness, mostly in his neck, but he was able to start Tuesday night’s prologue. He finished 48th of 117 riders, 52 seconds back of winner Peter Sagan (Cannondale).

It also left him wondering, because he said it was a first for him.

“It was pretty rude,” he said. “I mean, you’re on a bike path where there are families and you make room and just be nice to other people. So I didn’t understand that.”

Teammate Andrew Dalheim, 25, said he did, sort of.

“My theory is that he was getting ready for [Edmonton] Oilers tryouts or something,” said Dalheim.

That is from one perspective and what it sounds like is another pretentious, cyclist .

Please allow me expound my idea. I'll do my best to tear this guy a new one.

The guy makes it a point to mention they were "slow-rolling" and "coexisting". That is textbook elitist cyclist talk right there.

They are out for a training ride on a MUT! If that isn't the place the race is, then it isn't training for that race, it is being an elitist jerk.

He mentions the trail is shared by families and such in an attempt to show he cares, after he has already mentioned he was training for a race on that trail. I wonder if he would mind if someone trained for a bulldozer race while he was driving in rush hour, as long as they mentioned other people were there not to race.

He never mentions anything about who's side of the MUT each of them were on, because the chance is that he was in a place he shouldn't have been, like on the total wrong side and expecting everyone to move for him.

At the end, the jerk quips about the rollerblader training for something. The physco cyclist was training for something, but in his elitist asshattery he decides it is only OK for him to do so.

Now, I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but if the rollerblader was simple holding his ground, then the cyclist needs to take the blame.

We have the same type of sack wrinkles here. They are all over the MUT in a wanabe paceline hollering out "biker up" or "walker up" every time they plow around a blind corner and lo and behold, someone else is on the trail.

I have enough crap from drivers when I'm on the road, these squash bottoms are just the icing on the cake when I'm trying to avoid the crap with drivers.

I caught them jittering around a corner in my direction a month ago as one of them hollered "biker up". I replied, without much thought to my words, "assholes up".

You cyclists haters out there take note; no one likes those guys, but not everyone on a road bike is one of those cunt bubbles.

I'm done with the rant and genitaliaeuphemisms. Thanks for listening, I feel better.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #3119
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Onederer
I presume you were not there.
Thus, it's clear from what you wrote that you don't know WTF you are talking about.
That they were training doesn't mean that they were running at top speed or even anything close. Hard workouts need to be followed up by easy recovery runs.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #3120
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Onederer
I presume you were not there.
Thus, it's clear from what you wrote that you don't know WTF you are talking about.
That they were training doesn't mean that they were running at top speed or even anything close. Hard workouts need to be followed up by easy recovery runs.
Were you there? Tell us about it.

I wasn't trying to be serious, I just wanted to give an opposing view because we only got one side of the story. I can agree with a lot of the cyclists on here, but I think it is unjust to vilify the rollerblader on one persons account of the incident, especially when the information given reminds me very much of something that would come from an elitist cyclist trying to defend his actions, which really isn't defense because he knows he is right.

I am not a phychiatrist, but I think some of it is pretty clear.

How about a review of what I do know?

1.Recovery was not mentioned anywhere in that article.

2. The cyclist said he was training

3. There was no mention of placement

4. Someone "purposefully" hurt him and he let it be; did not involve law enforcement.

I think the last one implies partial guilt.

I am all for protecting cyclists, but I will not stand up for someone who reflects poorly on other cyclists. It is hard enough for us to make it without being harassed by drivers, we don't need their help.

Please understand, I dind't post to cause friction. I was offering my view based on my experiences and what I got from the article. I put some -if- in there to show I don't know the whole story and I most certainly am not passing any legitimate justice.

It was not a police report, it was one person's account. If anyone has the rollerbladers account, I'd like to hear it, until then if nobody here, was there, then my opinion of the article is just as worthy of expressing as anyones.

For whatever record anyone is keeping, riding on a MUT for any real distance sucks and I have no idea why anyone would want to "train" on one. There are many more unpredictable factors, it's like riding through a shopping mall.

Does anyone have recovery sex after hard sex?